Main Menu

Hello boys :)

Started by MrsWargamer, August 14, 2019, 06:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsWargamer

Before anyone objects to me calling you 'boys', that's a term of endearment from someone my age :)

Long-time wargamer, known on other sites, decided to expand my range. Mainly to help out a developer friend at the moment.

My thing is WW2 mainly, mostly old school wargaming, board gaming preferably, but I recognize that sometimes you just got to go digital.

I like games that have a realistic chance of being played on a weekend. It's not like I don't own a lot of classic monster titles though.

I'm not really a 'gamer girl' as that term is normally used. I don't play console games or online shooters or any of the mainstream products.

But I own ASL and digital World in Flames as well as the board game version.

And I'm ex-military. And no, I wasn't a secretary.

I have a son, thought you know, I'd grow my own wargaming opponent :)
Didn't work :) He's a writer like me, and loves science like me, no interest in wargames though. Oh well.
Just killin pixels and cardboard

Steelgrave

Welcome! So glad to have you join us. I certainly don't mind being called "boys", at my age just getting carded occasionally when I buy liquor is a thrill.

Based on your preferences, you've come to the right place. Many, if not most of us,  are old school wargamers and we've been kicking it for awhile. I cut my teeth on Avalon Hill boardgames in the sixth grade and I'm not alone. So don't be shy, jump into whatever threads catch your eye. Always glad to see new blood.   8)

JasonPratt

I was trying to think if we had any mp games spooling up.  ??? There has been a renewed (perennial ;) ) interest in the COIN series game Fire in the Lake recently, which isn't a wargame like ASL of course -- more of a grand strategy.

The thread is here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12201.msg317651#msg317651 It starts back in 2014! -- but it isn't long.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Welcome!  I met my wife gaming (RPGs).  She never had an interest in wargames.

Jarhead0331

Welcome...we're happy to have you onboard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Welcome!  How do you like world in flames? I bought it from matrix a couple of months ago, but I haven't had a chance to play it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

Welcome to the Grogs MrsWargamer. Great to have new faces and opinions here.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MrsWargamer

Quote from: Tripoli on August 14, 2019, 08:24:36 PM
Welcome!  How do you like world in flames? I bought it from matrix a couple of months ago, but I haven't had a chance to play it.

Alas, I've given it about the same amount of attention I've given my Gary Grigsby's titles (not much). Nice hardcover manuals though.

I'm likely to spend more time with my Strategic Command 3 titles and my board game Advanced Third Reich.

W8taminute

Did someone say Advanced Third Reich?  That's a great game.  I still have my copy that I purchased from a brick and mortar store back in the mid '80s.

Welcome to our humble site.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

rocketman

Quote from: MrsWargamer on August 14, 2019, 10:47:24 PM

Alas, I've given it about the same amount of attention I've given my Gary Grigsby's titles (not much). Nice hardcover manuals though.

I'm likely to spend more time with my Strategic Command 3 titles and my board game Advanced Third Reich.
Have you checked out the Advanced Third Reich mod for SC3: War in Europe?

MrsWargamer

Quote from: rocketman on August 15, 2019, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: MrsWargamer on August 14, 2019, 10:47:24 PM

Have you checked out the Advanced Third Reich mod for SC3: War in Europe?

I checked it out briefly. Something about it just didn't click with me at the time (I can't recall what at the moment). I think it just didn't 'feel' like actual A3R.

SirAndrewD

Welcome aboard! 

My wife is a dedicated gamer too.   She's in the Han Solo garb in my avatar, a Star Wars oriented cartoon depicting the both of us done by an artist friend of ours. 

So, I'm absolutely excited to get more women gamers here and about! 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MrsWargamer

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 16, 2019, 12:31:38 AM
Welcome aboard! 

My wife is a dedicated gamer too.   She's in the Han Solo garb in my avatar, a Star Wars oriented cartoon depicting the both of us done by an artist friend of ours. 

So, I'm absolutely excited to get more women gamers here and about!

Yeah, there HAAAAASS to be more women in wargaming out there. According to BGG, there are. I've never met another female wargamer in person before though. Not sure if it is just women unwilling to be visibly female in a male-dominated realm. But I've sure felt like the only woman present in a lot of internet wargaming locations. Not always bad. Heck, I had a man buy me the latest Strategic Command version base game all because I jokingly asked the forum to do it for me :) I did NOT expect that to happen. I don't mind men buying me beer either hehe.

Sir Slash

More women in gaming, yes. Until they get better at it than us, then..... :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MrsWargamer

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 16, 2019, 11:52:12 AM
More women in gaming, yes. Until they get better at it than us, then..... :hide:

Hahahahaha Too late dear.