Main Menu

Refurb

Started by bob48, May 12, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

OK, it may not be totally state-of-the-art, but there again, I'm only running a core duo 2.33, with Vista, which I hate, but I'm sore tempted to buy this - it seems pretty fair spec for the price;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt1411-refurbished-desktop-pc-12021852-pdt.html
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Shelldrake

Looks decent for the money. I doubt that you could replace your mainboard, cpu, ram and video card plus purchase a new OS for that price.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bob48

^No, you're quite right - I did a bit of adding up on component prices, and I could not match it - plus I would get W7 as well.....looks like the old plastic is about to take a bashing :-)

'Clip those corners'

bob48

Yippee......my new refurb arrived to day, and I've just unpacked it. Now for the job of reinstalling stuff and getting everything up-and-running (I hope!) again  ;D ;D ;D

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Bison

Congrats on the rig Bob! 

bob48

Thanks Bison, at the mo I'm still taking stuff off the old one and backing stuff up. Its incredible how much stuff you accumulate. I had a couple of flash drives, so thats making things a bit easier, but I hope to get the new rig running later today, then have to start putting stuff back on again.

I need to clear this old one down as much as possible since son #2 has dibs on it.

The biggest delay in getting it all done is me stopping to play the Warlock demo - I will buy the game...erm, once I get the new rig running ;D

'Clip those corners'

bob48

One strange effect I am getting is all my web pages open up minimized, and nothing I do seems to make them open maximized.

I had a look on the web, and it seems that other people have the same problem. There are a few 'fixes' all of which I have tried, but non of them work. I'm not sure if its somehow related to my default browser, which, for some strange reason does open maximized.

All a bit baffling for an old Luddite like me, so if any of you techie chaps have any idea's I should be greatful for advice.

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on May 28, 2012, 05:34:43 PM
One strange effect I am getting is all my web pages open up minimized, and nothing I do seems to make them open maximized.

I had a look on the web, and it seems that other people have the same problem. There are a few 'fixes' all of which I have tried, but non of them work. I'm not sure if its somehow related to my default browser, which, for some strange reason does open maximized.

All a bit baffling for an old Luddite like me, so if any of you techie chaps have any idea's I should be greatful for advice.

What browser are you using?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

I'm using Virgin homepage / google

'Clip those corners'