Enemy Coast Ahead (dambusters raid)

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 08, 2015, 02:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm having fun with this game and I was wondering if anyone is interested in a forum based version where everyone controls an individual bomber.  We can start with one of the smaller scenarios so everyone can get a feel for things and then work up to the campaign game if there's enough interest/enjoyment.

Sign up if you're interested.  I was thinking of starting with the Main Force scenario which sees 9 Lancasters in three waves of three taking off from England to attack the Möhne dam (and then on to the Eder if things go well enough).

Staggerwing

If this is a 1-or-2 turn a day thing I'll step forward, provided that I don't need to buy the game to play.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 08, 2015, 07:22:05 AM
If this is a 1-or-2 turn a day thing I'll step forward, provided that I don't need to buy the game to play.

Ditto.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, no need to buy the game.  I'll run it through VASSAL and post screenies.  The flight leaders of each of the three waves will be the most active to start with so they'd need to be available to make decisions/rolls and post responses in a timely manner or things could get bogged down. 

Staggerwing

I could give you a morning and an evening response on weekdays and a few more per day on weekends. Would that be enough?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  We could actually do it with 3 players, each one controlling a 3 Bomber flight.  That might go a bit more smoothly.

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, let's do it!

The first thing that needs to be decided is who will take command of each wave.  There are three waves in this scenario, each consisting of 3 bombers.
The First Wave contains the Wing Commander, Guy Gibson and will be in overall command.  (veteran crews are best, green are worst.  Only 1 elite crew member can use his skill bonus per scenario so in cases where there is more than 1 elite on a plane, you'll select which one to utilize for this mission.)

1st Wave
AJ-G for George: veteran crew, flight leader, Wing Commander (3 elite crew: pilot Guy Gibson: can re-roll any single check for any plane, once per mission.  Front gunner G.A. Deering: -1 to front gunnery checks.  Rear gunner R.D. Trevor Roper: -1 to rear gunnery checks)
AJ-M for Mother: veteran crew  (2 elite crew:  pilot J.V. Hopgood: ignore 1 map error result per mission.  Front gunner G. Gregory: -1 to front gunnery checks.)
AJ-P for Popsie: veteran crew (2 elite crew: pilot H.B. Martin: ignore 1 damage result.  Navigator J.F. Leggo: +1 to all navigation checks)

2nd Wave
AJ-A for Apple: veteran crew, flight leader (elite crewman: Pilot H.M. Young: can ignore map error once per mission)
AJ-J for Johnnie: seasoned crew (elite crewman:  Navigator V. Johnson: +1 to all navigation checks)
AJ-L for Leather: veteran crew (2 elite crew:  pilot D.J. Shannon: rolls 1 extra die for dam approach vector checks.  navigator D.R. Walker:  can draw 1 extra altitude chit during dam approach run)

3rd Wave

AJ-N for Nuts: veteran crew, flight leader (elite crewman: pilot L.G. Knight: Jink and Weave - can avoid 1 unrevealed hazard per mission)
AJ-B for Baker: seasoned crew
AJ-Z for Zebra: veteran crew

Silent Disapproval Robot

So we've got Staggerwing, Bartheart, and UCG.  You lot can pick a wave each or we can randomly determine who gets what with a die roll or two.

Staggerwing

Do the 3 waves operate completely independently from each other?

If so I'm good with any of them or a random choice.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The waves operate independently.  The game is divided into two main phases, the flight phase and the attack phase.  The flight phase tracks the progress of the bombers as they fly through different zones in order to reach the target dams.  Each zone generates a certain number of hazards as the bombers pass through.  If two or more waves (or detached bombers) are in the same zone, the senior commander gets to assign the hazards.  That means if the flight leader for 1st wave is in the same zone as 2nd or 3rd wave, the player controlling the 1st wave flight leader will assign hazards.  If only 2nd and 3rd wave are present, 2nd wave leader assigns the hazard.  If 1st wave is present but has lost AJ-G, then the leader of whichever other wave is present will assign the hazards.

I've attached a photo showing the different zones.

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, we'll do random.

1st wave will be d6 roll.  1-2 = Bartheart, 3-4 = Staggerwing, 5-6 = UCG.

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

Bartheart will control the 1st Wave

2nd wave will be 1-3 = Staggerwing, 4-6 = UCG

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks like you can't go back and add to a post with a die roll.  Anyway, both rolls were 1 so:

1st Wave: Bartheart

2nd wave: Staggerwing

3rd Wave: Undercovergeek

Bartheart, you'll need to decide which elite crewmember you want for each of your 3 planes

AJ-G for George: (pilot Guy Gibson: can re-roll any single check for any plane, once per mission.  Front gunner G.A. Deering: -1 to front gunnery checks.  Rear gunner R.D. Trevor Roper: -1 to rear gunnery checks)
AJ-M for Mother:  (pilot J.V. Hopgood: ignore 1 map error result per mission.  Front gunner G. Gregory: -1 to front gunnery checks.)
AJ-P for Popsie: ( pilot H.B. Martin: ignore 1 damage result.  Navigator J.F. Leggo: +1 to all navigation checks)

Staggerwing, you'll have to select which crewmember you want for AJ-L.
AJ-L for Leather: (pilot D.J. Shannon: rolls 1 extra die for dam approach vector checks.  navigator D.R. Walker:  can draw 1 extra altitude chit during dam approach run)