Main Menu

Exercise Habits

Started by Bison, July 31, 2012, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 09, 2013, 03:46:18 PM
My knees can't take barbell squats anymore.  Too many years of rugby. 

I use a 45 degree seated incline squat machine with free weight plates.

I do:             12x 490lbs
                     10x 520lbs
                       8x 540lbs
                       6x 570lbs
                     12x 490lbs

Muscle mass has been much harder to keep on after I turned 35 or so.  It wants to go to blubber even though I keep the protein intake up and still do heavy lift sets 4 days/week.

Hack Squat with 570obls?  Damn, that's impressive!  If you lived nearby, I'd say let's grab a workout together!
I'm finding that even with a layoff (where I added a TON of fat), my muscle memory is remarkable and my body is transitioning back to the way it was at an amazing rate.  I'm accused of 'roiding almost daily at work and at the gym (but I'm not).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not standing hack squats.  I use a 45 deg incline squat (press) machine similar to this.  Easier on the knees.

GJK

Ah - we call that a "leg sled".  Still, very impressive.  The gym that I'm at now doesn't have either a Hack Squat nor a Leg Sled - both of which I sorely miss.  I've come up with some compromises though. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GDS_Starfury

12 oz weights and hip thrusts.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GJK

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 10, 2013, 12:45:01 AM
12 oz weights and hip thrusts.
I quote again:
:)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GDS_Starfury

but Im neither fat nor stupid.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

well I sure as shit not fat.

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Keunert

i should have listened to Bison and Gus back in September last year when i started my new 'sport light' life.
both recommended to combine dumbbells exercises with running. but i wasn't ready for that yet.

6 months ago i bought dumbbells. my weight was around 189lbs.
4 months later i bought myself a scale. i was around 186lbs.
then i started a running routine (5.5km every second day) a month ago.
since then i watch my weight drop every day. this morning i hit 175.5lbs.
i guess this will continue some time and once it stops i can think about running 6days/week.
and this time i listened to GJK's advice and run before breakfast. the only thing i eat is half
an apple before start.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

GDS_Starfury

most would be surprised at the effective nature of 15 lb weights used between round of various wargames.  curls, butterflies and situps after one dies early in WoT adds up to a lot of exercise.

mirth

Ran/jogged my 1.5 mile loop for the first time without having to slow to walk at any point. Feeling pretty good about it because I've only been at it for a little over a week and at 42 I haven't done any consistent running in at least 10 years. Also, over the past couple months I've lost 20-25lbs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 09, 2013, 05:53:22 PM
Not standing hack squats.  I use a 45 deg incline squat (press) machine similar to this.  Easier on the knees.

The 45 degrees cuts the weight in half. That is still decent strength. A pulley leg press does not cut the weight. I put 360lbs on the pulley machine then do 2 sets of 50. shift to 1 set of 12 on the calves in between. Pushups 1 set 30 on the knuckles on hard surface. 1 set 30 on palmes. I need to do more lower back, that is a weak spot for me. Good mornings I suppose.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Keunert

^so your avatar is an actual picture of yourself? i thought that it was some silly Warhammer crap. but now i am impressed.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

GDS_Starfury

does masturbation count as cardio?

Keunert

with spring coming along i restarted my running routine and my dumbbell routine. since i have reduced meat consumption in recent months to one or two meals a week i wanted to ask if you would advice to get some additional protein?

i do 5 runs between 30-45 minutes a week and do 5 times 30 minutes of dumbbell exercises (rather light weights) and once a week 45minutes of badminton. i sometimes feel a little exhausted.

last year i made the same until winter when one feet started to hurt.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo