Bring Out Yer Dead

Started by Nefaro, August 02, 2015, 03:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I'm not normally into Euro-game-ish "worker placement" focused games.  But Bring Out Yer Dead looks like it could fill a family game role, especially since we can bring the gallows humor.  "Coffin placement" does sound more attractive.   ^-^

Had it on my wishlist for a bit, but I finally got around to watching Marco's video review in full and it pushed me over the edge of the fence.

Arctic Blast

I hadn't even heard of this before! I am a fan of some worker placement games, so this is in my wheelhouse. I like the different theme and concept, I like the art style of the cards, and it seems like a quick and simple little game.

And my wishlist grows. Thanks.  >:( ;D

Nefaro

YW!

I think it was just recently released.  Another new game from Upper Deck.  Bit of a sleeper before release but it's getting good reviews.  O0

Between this and the next upcoming Legendary Encounters set from Upper Deck (Predator!), they're settling in to tabletop gaming pretty well.

Arctic Blast

They also announced the next 2 games in the Legendary Encounters series : Firefly and Big Trouble in Little China.

I am totally down for the 3nd one.  :D

Nefaro

Big Trouble In Little China?  Seriously?

That's awesome!    8)   I'll have that one in a hearbeat.

Thinking of pre-ordering the Predator one soon, since it comes out around Aug 20th.  Curious as to how it might play mixed with the Aliens set.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 04, 2015, 10:33:31 AM
Big Trouble In Little China?  Seriously?

That's awesome!    8)   I'll have that one in a hearbeat.

Thinking of pre-ordering the Predator one soon, since it comes out around Aug 20th.  Curious as to how it might play mixed with the Aliens set.

I have no idea how Big Trouble will be translated to a game, but I'm totally down.  :)

Nefaro

I played Bring Out Yer Dead with a pair of nephews tonight, aged 8 and 15.  It played out faster than I expected, even on the first game.  Took maybe an hour at most.

As I suspected, even the 8-year old picked it up fairly well.  Was some quick fun without much learning headache, despite the initial card symbol referencing required.  The three card pre-planning went over better than I expected. 

I see this as a good transitional game.  Light enough rules to quickly learn, not too much info overload for non-gamers/youngsters, but still more fun than those old "classics" that everyone recognizes.

The rulebook could've used some extra clarifications, or a FAQ, because it's too vague on some stuff.  But common sense figured out the couple oddities we noticed.  Hell.. the 15-year old figured out something we were playing slightly wrong early in the game.

Arctic Blast

Well, it's ordered...along with a pile of other stuff.

Just sold off a bunch of games locally, so of course I ended up basically spending all of the money on new games.  :crazy2: :2funny:

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 08, 2015, 06:20:39 PM

Just sold off a bunch of games locally, so of course I ended up basically spending all of the money on new games.  :crazy2: :2funny:

I need to sell a few that I rarely play.  Goes against my game collecting habits, but I could use some space for even more.  >:D

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 08, 2015, 07:41:24 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 08, 2015, 06:20:39 PM

I need to sell a few that I rarely play.  Goes against my game collecting habits, but I could use some space for even more.  >:D

Yeah, I think I'm done with just keeping games 'because'. Even if it's something I'd love to play more, it seems pointless to keep them if I'm not playing them and am unlikely to do so in the near future. So out went Combat Commander, Defenders of the Realm, Carson City, and a small pile of other stuff.