Netflix keeps getting more annoying

Started by Tpek, August 07, 2019, 05:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I saw that "chick flick" tweet, holy shit.  Everyone knows what chick flick means, it's just a handy way to describe films like Legally Blonde and shit like that.  Anyone who thinks that audience isn't 99% female is deluding themselves, and anyone who claims to be offended by the term chick flick has chosen to be offended for the sake of causing conflict.

I have no time at all for these people.

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2019, 12:03:11 PM
Anyone who thinks that audience isn't 99% female is deluding themselves

LoL, the whole point of the term is to denote that this is a movie whose target audience is women.

Huw the Poo

Exactly.  Why would anyone take offense at that?  I wouldn't be offended if someone called action films "bloke films" or something.

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 09, 2019, 03:18:27 PM
Exactly.  Why would anyone take offense at that?  I wouldn't be offended if someone called action films "bloke films" or something.

Btw, do you have the CW DC Comics shows, like Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and the like?
Or is it still unavailable in the UK?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on August 09, 2019, 06:20:00 PM
Btw, do you have the CW DC Comics shows, like Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and the like?

No, no and no.  Respectively.

Honestly, the UK selection is shite.

airboy

There are a lot of business maneuvers going on in USA streaming services.

Disney is setting up their own channel.  They revoked the ability of Netflix to carry much Disney stuff and canceled all new Netflix Marvel stuff (Daredevil was the only one I cared about).

The major USA networks are setting up their own streaming services.  They took away/will take away soon Friends & The Office - two of the top shows of Netflix.

DC had previously removed their stuff from Netflix and have set up their own streaming service with one notable new series - Doom Patrol.

We are coming into 2020 and we are seeing about 5+ major streaming services in the USA competing against Netflix.

How all of this will shake out is unknown.  I have my doubts that people will subscribe to a half dozen streaming services - at least for long.  Netflix has lost/is losing a large proportion of their top shows.

In the USA at least, Amazon Prime has a pretty good online movie rental service with a large catalogue.  Netflix's catalogue got clobbered in 2019 and 2020 looks worse for content.  I know little of international streaming availability - but the USA maneuvers have been well documented in the business press.  The Wall St. Journal reported that the Netflix USA subscriber losses were due to losses in content and upcoming losses in content - not political BS.  Not saying that there may be some political BS - but you can't lose that much content and expect to hold viewership numbers.

Tpek

I subscribed to Amazon Prime to try it out for a bit and see if their TV adaptation of The Boys is any good (spoiler alert: it's not, it's pretty mediocre).
And honestly, why does it feel like all those video content services are competing to fail instead of win?
It feels like an Olympic marathon where all the runners are trying to get to the last place instead of getting the gold medal, one runner runs as slow as possible, the other runs backwards, several other just run in random direction, and one even grabs a gun to blow his own feet off.

Amazon has even less content than Netflix (which is an achievement all by itself), and almost all of their exclusive content is garbage. They have the mediocre and boring adaptation of The Boys, they have the worst possible way to adapt Preacher (the show is the most Un-Preacher like thing I had ever seen), and even made their own cheap knockoff of Black Mirror (which has been grabbed by Netflix) called Electric Dreams.

They actually had one good show, The Tick. A show that surprised me with how fun and entertaining to watch it ended up being. They have 2 seasons of it that really leave a craving for more.
Only it turns out that of all the utter garbage AP has, it was The Tick they decided to cancel... their ONE GOOD SHOW!

Gusington

Did Netflix The Punisher get cancelled as well? If I cancel my subscription I have 4 sisters and their families who will be very disappointed.

Stay woke, byotches.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes, all the Marvel Netflix shows are cancelled. There's a new, 3rd. season of Jessica Jones on but nothing else new. The last seasons of Daredevil and Punisher were good but beginning to lose their MoJo somewhat in my opinion anyway. There's talk of a new DD for Disney's upcoming service with new characters playing the parts.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I got back from the gym and the wife told me The Tick was cancelled.  Bastards - that was a really good show.

jamus34

As soon as Disney streaming goes live Netflix is gone for me.

To get the content of Hulu (more for the wife than me), kids shows and to a very minor degree sports is worth cancelling Netflix (and Hulu since I have that already anyway)

I will probably pick Netflix up a month or two a year to binge the stuff that interests me but don't think I'll be missing much.
Insert witty comment here.

Tpek

Quote from: airboy on August 27, 2019, 12:14:48 PM
I got back from the gym and the wife told me The Tick was cancelled.  Bastards - that was a really good show.

Thing is, it wasn't just a good show. It was Amazon's best show (IMHO), which is all the more reason Amazon are being stupid about it.

MetalDog

Didn't watch The Tick, but, Good Omens was really good.  And i agree that their content choices are super weak.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob