Let the Captain Marvel trailers commence!

Started by JasonPratt, September 19, 2018, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Huh. Had some trouble actually finding it on my YT list. Reactions, yep, but not the trailer itself for a while.

Here's from the official Marvel site (I think):

Seems legit! Plenty of fanservice.

....NO NOT THAT TYPE OF--

::) Having said that, I do not for a single second buy Brie Larson as a combat pilot or soldier of any kind. Compare with Carol Danvers from, let's say, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Hero (the excellent animated series that ran two seasons roughly around the time Hulk and Thor were being released.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Fury: "I'm tired of these MF Aliens coming to this MF planet"!  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

That'll be after he unashes. Deashes. Antiashes? Retashes?!

(I actually do sort of expect him to say "--ucker!" Because he was saying that when he died. So, it would be funny. By which I mean cringy. ha ha.... ha.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Has there ever been a Jackson movie where he didn't say "--ucker"? It's like Arnold and 'chopper'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

The number 1 way of showing the movie takes place in the past: Blockbuster video store :P

I wonder if we'll get to see how Fury lost his eye, or how he lost his hair.

JasonPratt

^^ Only if the Winter Soldier is in it? I can't recall which canon it is, where Barnes is how Fury lost the eye. (I might be mixing things up with Av:EMH.)

Sir Slash

That would be cool. Would it be funny if Thor's new eye turned out to be Fury's old one.  :2funny:

JasonPratt

While I remain sort of hopeful for the movie overall, either Larson has been horribly miscast or for no known reason they aren't showing us any of her good acting. Going back to watch the trailer a few more times makes me nervous. For God's sake, the official thumbnail chosen by Marvel for the trailer, is her bored, sullen stare in a jet fighter.

I understand what's being aimed for in the occasional flashback parallelism, too -- but it ends up backfiring for me. "They told me I couldn't ride gocarts with other boys and girls in the 80s!" ...um, why? "They told me I couldn't play baseball without falling down." Well, at least you picked yourself up and got better at it. Or I assume you got better...? "They told me I couldn't swing across those ropes with my obviously weak body strength." Which is why you fell. But you clearly didn't do enough pushups to get better at it, so I'm going to assume special effects were involved or else you whined enough to lower the standards. "They told me I couldn't fly a jet while stoned out on prozac." But you showed them!

That latter one would mimic a real accomplishment (I guess), except that she doesn't look remotely competent or even interested in flying a jet into space.

On the other hand, the poster inside the jet hanger shows the rump of her freaky tentacle-hentai alien-thing cat. So, I can't complain that the writers don't love the character and aren't trying to work hard at giving her and her longtime fans a proper film treatment!

I keep thinking: we could have had Katee Sackhoff. What, was she too old? APPARENTLY THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN OLDER CAROL DANVERS!!

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 20, 2018, 07:26:25 AM
^^ Only if the Winter Soldier is in it? I can't recall which canon it is, where Barnes is how Fury lost the eye. (I might be mixing things up with Av:EMH.)

I was talking about the MCU Fury.

In the comics, I remember he lost it sometimes in the 60's.
When he (originally?) appeared in the Fantastic Four comics he still had both eyes, and was also seen having them both in the series about him and the Howling Commandos in WWII.

Then again, retcons are so very common in Marvel that it doesn't really matter.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on September 21, 2018, 05:08:54 AM

Me, too. I can't recall if MCU Fury lost his eye to Barnes, or if that was the EMH Fury. I do recall that the MCU Fury said "the last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye".

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2018, 11:13:00 AM
Quote from: Tpek on September 21, 2018, 05:08:54 AM

Me, too. I can't recall if MCU Fury lost his eye to Barnes, or if that was the EMH Fury. I do recall that the MCU Fury said "the last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye".

I doubt it's Bucky then.
In the MCU he disappeared at the end of Captain America 1 and was not seen again (only talked about later) until Captain America 2.

Considering in the Captain Marvel movie he has both eyes, hints that either in this movie or the potential sequel (which might also be set in the past) we will see how he lost it.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on September 21, 2018, 12:49:46 PM
I doubt it's Bucky then.
In the MCU he disappeared at the end of Captain America 1 and was not seen again (only talked about later) until Captain America 2.

Well, not seen again exactly, but he did interact with surviving characters (not just dead ones like Stark's parents). Tasha has a scar from where Bucky assassinated someone she was trying to protect by shooting through her. And she knew the Winter Soldier was doing it.

I could just be less lazy and see if a fan wiki mentions the MCU missing eye...

...eh, no details yet, just someone he trusted. Which currently suggests Skrull involvement. I must be thinking of Fury from Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

SirAndrewD

Miscast or not I don't mind the prospect of looking at Brie Larson in a super hero outfit for two hours.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Centurion40

I enjoyed the Captain Marvel comics from the 70's.  Captain Marvel and the Green Lantern were my faves.  Therefore, I fear for this film.  I'm expecting a flop, like the Green Lantern film.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Sir Slash

Did you say Green Lantern was a 'flop' or 'fop' Centurion?  :-"   Sorry, I know, I know. Go to the corner and stay there.