Main Menu

CM roadmap update

Started by RyanE, October 17, 2017, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125797-another-reason-for-a-centralized-forum/

I always get excited when I see these semi-annual updates ( I know they are officially every six months, but it seems like it).  But then I go back and look at the last statement and realize not much has changed.  I think Steve stated this because there was a thread really pushing hard on BFC to tell the board what was going on.

Destraex

Any news on new core features like dedicated 2v2 or coop play, this would take the game to the next level and in line with a great many modern games.

Also making the breifing text readable or at least fit the full screen res (enlarged).
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

RyanE

Everything I kow is in that link.  But I am hoping they just get the stuff they have committed to done.

Ubercat

The only news from BFC that would be worth hearing is that they dumped that F'ing bullshit DRM. >:( Until then, to hell with them.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

RyanE

They have cleaned it up a fair bit.  But still seems like a bunch of people get false positives.  What I don't understand is BFC talks like its the anti-virus companies at fault.  But I never had false positive issues with any other game company in probably 10 years.  The one thing I really can't understand is they jump through hoops to make sure the installer and DRM are easier to use, yet they still have issues and weird processes to make them all work.

The one good thing coming out of the whole thing is they are prioritizing updating CMSF.  That is a game that deserved some love, especially as bad as its original release was.  From a content standpoint, its still my favorite CM2 game.

Zulu1966

Thanks RyanE. You are my source of cm updates.
I am just glad they are still active and working on new stuff.
Must say given what he says is still to be done on CMSF his estimate of early 18 seems hugely optimistic but then he usually is with his estimates. I would say back end of 18 more likely.

I noticed a defence contract in there so perhaps explains to some extent their slow down......

Still good news in any event.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

RyanE

I think it was NZ that used one of the CM1 games.  I suspect its some kind of update to that, or similar to that.

I think one of the main issues is losing a programmer and and the marketing guy who did a lot of other stuff.  I think they might be back to the original team from late CM1 days, not counting MaddMatt having moved on also.

Michael Dorosh

My hard drive crashed a month ago and I never bothered reinstalling any of my CM, even though I have the hard copies. DRM isn't a showstopper for me, but the slow grind of waiting for updates is. They still haven't fixed the water levels bug, which is a real disincentive to scenario design.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: RyanE on October 18, 2017, 08:33:18 AM
I think it was NZ that used one of the CM1 games. 

It was CMAK and included some scenarios and equipment not available to the public, as I recall.

sandman2575

I know Battlefront is a very small team with limited resources, but I really think they're taking Combat Mission in the wrong direction at this point. What's needed isn't more modules to the existing platform. What's needed is a major platform overhaul.

CMx2's GUI is abysmal. Everyone harps on the supposed drawbacks of Graviteam's UI, but it is *far* better, far more functional than what CMx2 offers. In Graviteam, ordering a platoon of tanks to use roads to reach a destination takes a couple of clicks. Doing the same in CMx2 is an agonizing process of carpal-tunnel-inducing micromanagement. Just one small example. (and this is to say nothing about the way roads are rendered in CMx2's maps, where a natural curve is impossible and instead you get these ridiculous zig-zagging paths everywhere, which are just a delight to plot units to follow...)

It also just feels increasingly unforgivable that CMx2 can't do standard things at this point like graphically recreate airstrikes. The 'bullets/missiles from the blue' is frankly atrocious. I know the comparisons are a bit apples-and-oranges, but Graviteam Tactics, Theatre of War, Wargame/Steel Division, Men of War, even Panzer Command Ostfront (if I recall correctly) are all able to do this. Why are we supposed to just put up with CMx2's inability to do the same? Ditto the fact that CMx2's maps don't extend to the horizon but 'float in space'. 

Not meant to be a rant. CMx2 still has plenty of value -- it still simulates infantry combat better than any of the games I listed above, for instance. But the CMx2 engine just feels more and more obsolete these days.

RyanE

"and this is to say nothing about the way roads are rendered in CMx2's maps, where a natural curve is impossible and instead you get these ridiculous zig-zagging paths everywhere"

One huge plus for CM that way out balances the quirkiness of maps is the map editor.  Steve has stated multiple times that many of the idiosyncrasies of the maps are there because of the ability to have a completely sandbox mapmaker.  It just highlights the different types of players.

But I do agree the engine (and module/game approach) needs a big overhaul.  The performance on high end machines is relatively atrocious.

Cyrano

Until Graviteam solves the dark mystery of MP, it is second best, and a distant one at that.  Actually quite frustrating as I want to jump in, but have neither interest in nor tolerance for games that neglect MP.

I've no claim to know the  frustrations of CM like those that must have dented the psyches of folks like M. Dorosh who have been at it so very long, but, for me, it remains CM or table top.  Steel Divisions is a lovely game...toy really...but could never replace CM for me.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Tactical Wargamer

Quote from: Destraex on October 17, 2017, 05:56:50 PM
Any news on new core features like dedicated 2v2 or coop play, this would take the game to the next level and in line with a great many modern games.

Also making the breifing text readable or at least fit the full screen res (enlarged).

Soooo Agree. Need to get a better MP system 1 vs 1 can get a little boring.
@TacticWargamer

Tactical Wargamer

Quote from: Cyrano on October 22, 2017, 11:54:09 AM
Until Graviteam solves the dark mystery of MP, it is second best, and a distant one at that.  Actually quite frustrating as I want to jump in, but have neither interest in nor tolerance for games that neglect MP.

I've no claim to know the  frustrations of CM like those that must have dented the psyches of folks like M. Dorosh who have been at it so very long, but, for me, it remains CM or table top.  Steel Divisions is a lovely game...toy really...but could never replace CM for me.
Always baffled me what they never had MP?? Strange. Let's face the AI is at best a tutorial/beginner player.

Cheers
@TacticWargamer