The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2017 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, June 12, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I always thought surfing was a great workout like swimming. No?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

It can be, it just depends.  On a day like today where the waves are small, the ocean is glassy, and there's not much current, you're not doing all that much work in between waves.  It's a short paddle to the lineup, and then you're mostly just sitting waiting for waves to come.  A brief flurry of paddling, ride the wave, and then a short paddle back out.  It's not a very vigorous workout.

On the other hand, during a big swell like with the hurricanes, or some of those outside reef breaks in Hawaii, it can be absolutely exhausting.  Everything is hard.  Getting out to the waves can be just brutal, a test of paddling, timing, ducking under waves, furious paddling to get outside before another set comes in...then you get caught too far in on a set, and have to duck under multiple waves, getting pushed underwater and all over the place, and then when the set lets up, desperately trying to get back out before the next set.

You get a good wave and cover some serious ground, and then you've got to cover that ground back to where you started by paddling.

The whole experience can really take its toll.  I've had 3 or 4 hour sessions in good, big surf, and when I get home I am absolutely worthless the rest of the day I'm so tired.  So it just depends.  That break I used to surf on the south shore in Hawaii was a mile and a half just to get to the waves.  That's 3 miles of paddling before you even catch a wave.  That was most definitely a workout.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pete Dero

The weather is a complete mess ...

Ophelia hits Ireland and is causing casualties while we, some 800 km away, are having the warmest october days since ever (15° above normal or what is normal for july).

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442   

A woman in her 20s has been killed as the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia hit the British Isles.
Part of a tree fell on her car in West Waterford, also injuring another passenger, as hurricane-force gusts battered the Republic of Ireland.

About 120,000 homes are without power in the Irish Republic, where the government has deployed the army.

The Met Office has warned of "potential danger to life", with wind gusts off the south coast of Ireland reaching 109mph (176km/h) at Fastnet Rock.

I can't recall Europe ever had winds like that before ...

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

OK all you Brits. The hurricanes now know where you are......and how to get there.  :hide:   Stay safe and ride this Mother out. It's not worth the risk to take some pictures of wind blowing down trees.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

mirth

Staggerwing

One of those purple spots is asking directions to Toonces' house.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

About time to start the holy crap it's cold out there 2018 thread.    ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Yeah, they're a lot more fun than the holy crap it's hot out there posts.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

its my season to pick on all of you frozen fuckers.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Arctic Blast

I was still wearing shorts yesterday in mid-October. Not bad so far.  ;D