Godzilla: King of the Monsters coming 2019

Started by JasonPratt, December 10, 2018, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Figured I should start a new thread since the old one dated back to 2014 and expected a June 2018 release. (Instead there was a trailer release.)

First trailer from this summer for context. More artistic than the second trailer.

Second trailer. Amanda Waller of the Suicide Squad is dubious of the plan....  >:D

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Not impressed. I guess I'm just 'old school' but I prefer my giant monsters to be about nothing more complex than stomping the shit out of little, tiny trains and tanks in downtown Tokyo as opposed to saving the Earth. I understand there is a couple of new generations that can't relate to that though. So, whatever.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

I'm with Sir Slash. Maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old bastard, but I'm getting tired of all this alien, outer space, galactic ending BS that movies keep shoving down our throats.

Looking forward to seeing Bree Larson in a space suit though fighting intergalactic aliens  :bd:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I'm another old skooler that would prefer to see Gojira and Rodan team up for a rematch against King Ghidora. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

That would HAVE TO be on Pay-Per-View.  :clap: 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

I loved the Godzilla movies as a kid. King Ghidora was my favorite, save the Big G himself. Heh heh, I'm old enough I remember catching King Kong vs. Godzilla at the Saturday matinee.

JasonPratt

I've said this before, but literally the first film I ever watched at a theater was a drive-in showing of Godzilla vs Megalon; and if my first indoor theater film wasn't Godzilla vs Gigan (known in the states as Godzilla on Monster Island) then it was close!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on December 10, 2018, 06:39:46 PM
I'm another old skooler that would prefer to see Gojira and Rodan team up for a rematch against King Ghidora. 

...that's kind of what's going to happen, except without the Xilians. The 2019 film is broadly referencing Ghidora's first Showa era appearance, also 1964 (that was a busy year with G vs Mothra to start it off!) Which was also the first Toho daikaiju film where the monsters end up saving the Earth -- but the film starts off being a running battle between Godzilla and Rodan, so they aren't friendly to humans! (They have to be shamed by Mothra into fighting Ghidora to save the earth.)

In this case, the plot seems to be borrowing elements from -- of all things -- the Hanna-Barbera 1970s Godzilla run, where a sonic device summons Godzilla to fight for his friends. (A show with a structure weirdly based on Pete's Dragon... except set in modern day. And with Eliot turning out to be Godzilla's "nephew" Godzooky. {shudder} Please God don't let them go that direction...)

Anyway, it's the newer film series (the Heisei in the 90s and the Millennium in the early 00s) where the monsters were rarely saving the Earth. The "old school" Showa series are where the monsters were more-or-less grumpily heroic -- after Ghidora first shows up anyway!

In short: some of the monsters treating humans like pets is old school.  :P

And I'm personally glad they've returned to that, sort of. I've missed Godzilla being (kind of) heroic. That hasn't been true since the mid 70s.

Sir Slash

I miss Japanese villains with sunglasses and antennas coming out of their heads.

GDS_Starfury

clearly you have not watch enough Japanese Anime over the last 30 years.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Why doesn't Eleven just send all the bad things into the Upside down? Problem solved.

Also, Godzilla looks like a Punk Sumo Wrestler.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 11, 2018, 06:35:36 AM
Also, Godzilla looks like a Punk Sumo Wrestler.

And with that image stuck firmly in my mind,  another piece of my childhood bites the dust   :'( :'( :'( :2funny:

Gusington

^At this point your childhood must be almost all dust, Dad.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Jason my first movie I ever saw at the theater was also Godzilla vs. Megalon.  I think it came out one year before Star Wars did which was the second movie I ever saw at a theater.  Good times!

I suppose I should give the new movie a chance based on your description.  Ok, ok twist my arm.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk