Star Trek: Lower Decks. An animated comedy

Started by steve58, October 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Gotta wonder what Mr Roddenberry would've thought about this one...
The first-ever official Star Trek comedy series has been ordered.

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim's sensation Rick and MortyThe half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing "on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet's least important ships." 

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/star-trek-animated-comedy/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

CBS is surely proving to be wise stewards of the franchise!

:DD
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Look, just give us the adaptation of the rest of Irresponsible Captain Tyler. That's all we want.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

In lieu of all of the damn doctor-lawyer-cop-rescue themed shows that are out there, I'm all for it.  Pretty sure it'll flame out horribly, but at least they'll have tried.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 25, 2018, 12:35:59 PM
In lieu of all of the damn doctor-lawyer-cop-rescue themed shows that are out there, I'm all for it.  Pretty sure it'll flame out horribly, but at least they'll have tried.

They'll have tried harder to ride the coat-tails of the Orville.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Michael Dorosh

I sure hope they have the appropriate mix of gay astronauts, disabled veterans, black, hispanic and asian females, and of course transgendered aliens. It would be a shame to let Star Trek just be Star Trek and pass up shoving poignant social messages down our throats.

The original series *was* of course about being able to discuss social issues, and TNG continued the trend. But there was some subtlety to it. I think the Orville has continued that trend nicely, and for the most part even-handedly.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 25, 2018, 12:45:26 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 25, 2018, 12:35:59 PM

They could choose much worse shows to rip off. I enjoyed all of the Orville.

Lower Decks isn't a terrible idea - if they do it in the same vein as the first Brady Bunch movie (where the characters didn't actually realize, in universe, that they were lampooning the original TV series) it could be really good.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 25, 2018, 12:45:26 PM

Crap.  Totally forgot that one.  I stand corrected.

W8taminute

As long as the Enterprise doesn't have any segregated facilities I'm sure the show will be a hit.   ::)

Never has the phrase "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." wrung so true than this day and age. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Lower-Level, Toilet Repairman on a Garbage Scow! But maybe somebody would watch that instead.  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Quote from: steve58 on October 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim's sensation Rick and MortyThe half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing "on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet's least important ships." 

Wait, I thought this was already the plot for ST:Discovery?

besilarius

Actually, this sounds a bit like Quark.
An interstellar Garbage Scow goes on incredible missions.
"Pollinating?  My Libido?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BUCwf5yv4
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

Quote from: Steelgrave on October 25, 2018, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: steve58 on October 25, 2018, 11:38:18 AM

Wait, I thought this was already the plot for ST:Discovery?

:DD
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak