What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^That sounds extremely interesting...fondles Amazon...

BC this is a whole new industry to me. I had no idea that we could tour the former Eastern Front now. I wonder if WWI Eastern Front tours are offered...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

My wife has been mentioning that she might be interested in a WW2 tour. She was thinking Normandy, but I told her the eastern front would be good too. At first she wasn't too keen, but after spending a day in Budapest last summer, she is now much more open to the idea.

Sir Slash

Budapest? So you're saying that made her Hungary for it?  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2018, 02:03:49 PM
BC this is a whole new industry to me. I had no idea that we could tour the former Eastern Front now. I wonder if WWI Eastern Front tours are offered...

I think that one that does the Moscow/Volgograd/Kursk tour includes a stop at Borodino. If not them, somebody includes it, touting it as a look at Napoleon's invasion as well as Hitler's. Not sure about WW1 but-

-aww yeah, here you go Gus: https://www.theculturalexperience.com/tours/ww1-eastern-front-battlefield-tour/

airboy

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 21, 2018, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2018, 02:03:49 PM

I think that one that does the Moscow/Volgograd/Kursk tour includes a stop at Borodino. If not them, somebody includes it, touting it as a look at Napoleon's invasion as well as Hitler's. Not sure about WW1 but-

-aww yeah, here you go Gus: https://www.theculturalexperience.com/tours/ww1-eastern-front-battlefield-tour/

If I retire to the Central Virginia area, there are a bunch of tours of Civil War battlefields.

Gusington

I would love to do a tour of the trenches in France as well. Ypres, Somme, Verdun...I expect it would be a very humbling visit.

Speaking of which, if any of you have not yet, go to Gettysburg. It is unbelievable.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas, Cedar Run, Harper's Ferry, and New Market. Loved them all.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 23, 2018, 06:37:03 PM
Been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas, Cedar Run, Harper's Ferry, and New Market. Loved them all.  O0

I've been to every major Civil War land battlefield except Vicksburg.  I hope to get there this Fall when the weather gets cooler.  My wife calls them "cannon parks" where beautiful scenery is marred by cannons and statues.

Gusington

Gettysburg reminded me of a giant chess board...an amazing place, if not very dark. The atmosphere there is very heavy and palpable.

I would like to go to Antietam next.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on July 23, 2018, 08:21:48 PM
Gettysburg reminded me of a giant chess board...an amazing place, if not very dark. The atmosphere there is very heavy and palpable.

I would like to go to Antietam next.

The tree that was cut down by rifle fire is in the Smithsonian (unless they replaced it with some BS PC crap).  See that, then see bloody lane and it will give you tremors.

Gusington

I will mentally prepare. I was thunderstruck by a lot of what I saw at Gettysburg.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

There's a big tower at Antietam you can climb in the middle of the battlefield that gives a great view of the whole field, almost. Lovely country. Also, lots of Groundhogs. Big ones!  :o

Gusington

At Gettysburg is the memorial to the troops from PA...it also gives great views of the field and is incredibly sobering.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Since I live in northern Virginia, I've been to many of the battlefields. I'm planning on going to Antietam this fall since I haven't been there in a while.

I haven't been to Vicksburg battlefield. The only time I've been in the area was for a very last-minute very brief business trip to the Army Corps of Engineers there. Ironically, I left the meeting early to rush home, but when I got close to Jackson, I got a text informing me that my flight had been cancelled and that I was going to spend a bonus night in Jackson. Had I known that earlier, I could have toured the battlefield in the afternoon instead of spending the afternoon looking for a hotel in lovely Jackson MS.