Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

I have to admit that the 2.0 improvements far outweigh the loss of travel forms for me so far.

I mean, I like the old system but it made defensive platforms somewhat useless beyond protecting planets you cannot afford to lose.

Concepts of fleets vs doom stacks is a bonus. Also it seems like they've improved the viability of the smaller ships into the mid and late game. I know by the time I could build cruisers I would let my corvettes and destroyers just dwindle from attrition as they were mostly useless.

Now it feels like they have much more use.
Insert witty comment here.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Johnnie on March 02, 2018, 07:42:26 PM
Maybe this is the wrong thread to post on.  Bought the game today and I am lost.  Is there a manual?  I see guidelines and beginner's advice posted on the steam menu, but what about an "official"  manual?

Yeah, Paradox likes to release games that are fairly intuitive on the surface, but have a ton of mechanics going on underneath that aren't explained anywhere but offline wikis.  Play the tutorial, then start out for yourself, dabble a little, and check out YouTube videos as needed.

As was noted above, after a big patch (like the one that just happened a few days ago), lots of wikis and tutorials take a while to catch up with the new game.  Stellaris is more accessible than some of the Paradox titles were to me, so have some fun with it.  Exploring the corners of the game makes it even more fun.

And don't forget to build droids to do your mining!   :)

Johnnie

Thanks far away:  I've been a gamer since AH's Waterloo and Gettysburg and am familiar with and own quite a few Paradox games. A manual (even a short or dated one) would make this game easier (for me, in any case) to get into.

jamus34

Quote from: Johnnie on March 04, 2018, 08:44:22 PM
Thanks far away:  I've been a gamer since AH's Waterloo and Gettysburg and am familiar with and own quite a few Paradox games. A manual (even a short or dated one) would make this game easier (for me, in any case) to get into.

Yeah the manual to a Paradox game is like buying a top of the line computer component - it's out-dated before you even receive it.

Jarhead0331

War and attrition seems screwy. Specifically, it seems unreasonably difficult to carry on a war, even when the attacker is kicking ass. Attrition levels get very high very fast and for no apparent reason. For instance, there were two occasions where I was attacked by a neighbor who was initially much more powerful than me. Both times, He invaded my territory, occupying large swaths of systems and destroying several of my smaller fleets. Before my larger fleets were able to intercept any of the invading forces, they sued for a white peace. I thought this was weird since they had won every battle and were occupying nearly a whole sector of my territory. However, since I had a large fleet chasing him down, I chalked it up to the writing being on the wall for him and wanting to preserve his capability.

However, then I declared a war of my own against an empire that I had claims against 8 of his systems. I occupied all of the claimed territory, had three strong fleets occupying these systems and successfully invaded one of the planets in this area (invasion is much more difficult now too,  by the way). I won every major fleet engagement too.  By all measures I was kicking his ass in space and on land, yet to my surprise, my attrition was nearly double his. Why? His losses were much greater than mine. My government is a military dictatorship too, so it's not like I have a population of wimps and hippies. Eventually, I got a warning that my attrition was dangerously high. I was able to end the war on favorable terms, but I should have been able to extract much more based on my successes. What's going on here...have they nerfed war? Or, am I missing some new setting that puts my forces on a war footing?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

This is in the change notes for 2.02

Quote* Reduced War Exhaustion per ship and army killed

There are several other changes to WE in the 2.02 patch.  Sounds like they may be still trying to get it right;

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-106-2-0-2-patch-notes-and-the-road-ahead-for-cherryh.1074215/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Ah. Thanks. Might be time to give the beta a shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

New Dev Diary talking briefly on what comes next.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-107-the-post-apocalypse.1076726/&utm_source=twitter-internal&utm_medium=social-paid&utm_content=post&utm_term=awa&utm_campaign=apoc_stellaris_all_201838_nt_ste_pore

QuoteHello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary will be focusing on the road ahead after Cherryh and Apocalypse, and our long-term priorities going forward.

Cherryh Post-Release Support
As mention in last week's dev diary, the immediate priority for the team is post-release support for Cherryh and Apocalypse, fixing bugs, addressing balance/feature feedback, and working on quality of life and performance improvements. We are maintaining a running 2.0.2 beta patch which we will continue to update every few days or so until we are happy with the state of the game.

The Post-Apocalypse
Apocalypse and Cherryh were an expansion/patch focused almost exclusively on war, and with it out, we are now going to be moving on to other, non-war related priorities for future updates, expansions and story packs. To give you an idea of what's coming, we're going to revisit the list of long-term goals for Stellaris I made and updated for Dev Diary #50 and Dev Diary #69. This time, we're going to organize the goals into the ones we feel have been delivered on, old goals that were added to the list before 2.0, and new goals that we have set for ourselves after 2.0 (there is no prioritization difference between goals based on when they were added or whether they are considered old or new for this particular list).

As before, the list is NOT in order of priority, and something being considered completed NOT mean we aren't going to continue to improve on it in future updates, just that we consider it to be at a satisfactory level.

As before, THIS IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE OR FINAL LIST, NOTHING NOT ALREADY COMPLETED IS CERTAIN TO HAPPEN AND THERE ARE NO ETAS

Completed Goals

Ship appearance that differs for each empire, so no two empires' ships look exactly the same.
More potential for empire customization, ability to build competitive 'tall' empires.
Global food that can be shared between planets.
Ability to construct space habitats and ringworlds.
Factions that are proper interest groups with specific likes and dislikes and the potential to be a benefit to an empire instead of just being rebels.
Ability to set rights and obligations for particular species in your empire.
Buildable Dreadnoughts and Titans.
Deeper mechanics and unique portraits for synthetics.
Reworking the endgame crises to be more balanced against each other and the size/state of the galaxy.
Reworks to war to address the 'doomstacks' issue and make the strategic and tactical layers of warfare more interesting and less micro-intensive.
Superweapons and planet killers.

Old Goals

A 'galactic community' with interstellar politics and a 'space UN'.
Deeper Federations that start out as loose alliances and can eventually be turned into single states through diplomatic manuevering.
More story events and reactive narratives that give a sense of an unfolding story as you play.
More interesting mechanics for pre-FTL civilizations.
'Living systems', making empire systems feel more alive and lived in

New Goals

Less micromanagement and more focus on interesting choices in regards to planets, the ability to grow planets beyond current fixed size.
Empire trade mechanics and trade agreements.
A galactic market where resources and strategic resources can be imported and exported.
Espionage and sabotage mechanics.
Improved galaxy/hyperlane generation with better placed systems and dangers.
More anomalies and unique systems to explore.

That's all for today! Over the next few weeks, dev diaries will continue to focus on post-release support. Feature dev diaries will resume when we have new features to talk about. Finishing off this dev diary is a screenshot of how we're reworking difficulty modes in the next update to the rolling 2.0.2 beta:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

Quote from: OJsDad on March 06, 2018, 07:37:03 AM
This is in the change notes for 2.02

Quote* Reduced War Exhaustion per ship and army killed

There are several other changes to WE in the 2.02 patch.  Sounds like they may be still trying to get it right;

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-106-2-0-2-patch-notes-and-the-road-ahead-for-cherryh.1074215/

For as much flack as Paradox gets on the release quality of their games at least they go the extra effort to not only fix the broken stuff but continually improve. Some people may grump that this is now stuck behind paid DLC but how many big budget publishers abandon a game after a month if it doesn't hit sales goals?

mikeck

I agree 100%. Is there any developer that continues to support games to the level of EU IV or CK2?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jamus34

Quote from: mikeck on March 08, 2018, 01:50:32 PM
I agree 100%. Is there any developer that continues to support games to the level of EU IV or CK2?

I would say Blizzard is one of the others who continuously strives to improve their games. Ironically they follow the "it's done when it's done" mantra of development and minus a couple of poor decisions run a tight ship.

Beyond those two? I've got nothing.

Geezer

Quote from: mikeck on March 08, 2018, 01:50:32 PM

Yes, at least two developers come to mind:

John Tiller:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21132.0

Brad Wardell:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19680.0
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Bohemia is pretty outstanding too. ARMA 3 is improved daily.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

The guys over at Grigsby's games continuously update their games still.

Battlefront comes to mind.

Stardock

Command Ops

CMANO
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Arcen Games' post-release support is phenomenal.