Main Menu

Xbox one

Started by Emeraldlis, December 14, 2016, 01:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

MS used to really dick you over by not letting you use services like Netflix unless you had a Gold account, but they backed off from that a few years ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grim.Reaper

Glad I checked my Live account today, they had my subscription suspended and wanted me to pay for something I didn't use or know was suspended.  After multiple discussions, got it all resolved, but a pretty big hassle....glad I am unsubscribed now:)

Bison

Rocked out on Gears of War 4 for a couple of hours...well after it took a couple of hours to download...tonight.  So far the story is pretty good and the gameplay is fun even though run and cover shooters are not my favorite type of game.  Playing on the big screen TV is pretty epic in its own right.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 30, 2016, 02:17:07 AM
the gameplay is fun even though run and cover shooters are not my favorite type of game.

Mine either, but Gears does it just about as well as it can be done. Very fun games in that series.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Quote from: mirth on December 31, 2016, 01:21:07 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 30, 2016, 02:17:07 AM
the gameplay is fun even though run and cover shooters are not my favorite type of game.

Mine either, but Gears does it just about as well as it can be done. Very fun games in that series.

I'm somewhere near the end of the third chapter now and the story has been really good.  The one criticism I have ATM is I don't know that I'll feel compelled to replay the game to collect achievements. I actually really enjoy on rails story telling games but the lack of decisions obviously limits replayability

Bison

I must say that Diablo 3 is fantastic on the xbox.  I've only played single player, but the daughters and I are planning on playing some local coop at some point in the near future.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on December 25, 2016, 01:46:18 PM
Hope you haven't run in to this on your own, but, my daughter tells me you can't play Destiny on the PS4 without having Playstation's proprietary online service active.  Pretty sure it's the same for XBOXOne.  You'll know better as you have the game and the console to play it.

I haven't even got destiny up and running yet , it needs a 20 GB update  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: I'm seriously fed up of everything needing updates , with my limited internet , it's frustrating !! I'm thinking of just asking one of my mates if they have unlimited and would update the disc for me  :) 

If I update and still can't play , oh boy , I'm gonna be seriously  :tickedoff: ticked off !!!

I have however played Lego hobbit  :) I liked all the puzzle solving in the game , they weren't so hard that ,you felt like bashing your head against the moon door by the last light of durins day !!, lol , but they weren't to easy either , just right  :) and watching all the Lego stuff get built is a lot of fun  :bd:

Did your daughter eventually get to play destiny ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Bison

I think you maybe disappointed Em, because I'm pretty sure that you'll need a gold account to access the servers to play.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2017, 07:30:15 PM
I think you maybe disappointed Em, because I'm pretty sure that you'll need a gold account to access the servers to play.

For any kind of online play, a Gold account is pretty much required.

Emeraldlis

Ugh .......this just gets better and better  :tickedoff: why can't they just let us buy the game ......play the game .....AS IT IS !!!! Technology frustrates the hell outta me   :pullhair:

Hopefully mirth , I won't have to buy into online play . I much prefer gaming with people I know , as opposed to complete strangers  :nerd: but that's just me and my weird cautious brain !
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 07, 2017, 08:16:56 AM

Ugh .......this just gets better and better  :tickedoff: why can't they just let us buy the game ......play the game .....AS IT IS !!!! Technology frustrates the hell outta me   :pullhair:

Hopefully mirth , I won't have to buy into online play . I much prefer gaming with people I know , as opposed to complete strangers  :nerd: but that's just me and my weird cautious brain !

I posted this earlier in the thread, this confirms what you need Xbox Live in order to play within the game....

Xbox Live Gold is required to join Fireteams and play some online activities on the Xbox One or Xbox 360, such as Strikes, the Raid, and the Crucible.

MetalDog

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 06, 2017, 10:22:55 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 25, 2016, 01:46:18 PM
Hope you haven't run in to this on your own, but, my daughter tells me you can't play Destiny on the PS4 without having Playstation's proprietary online service active.  Pretty sure it's the same for XBOXOne.  You'll know better as you have the game and the console to play it.

I haven't even got destiny up and running yet , it needs a 20 GB update  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: I'm seriously fed up of everything needing updates , with my limited internet , it's frustrating !! I'm thinking of just asking one of my mates if they have unlimited and would update the disc for me  :) 

If I update and still can't play , oh boy , I'm gonna be seriously  :tickedoff: ticked off !!!

I have however played Lego hobbit  :) I liked all the puzzle solving in the game , they weren't so hard that ,you felt like bashing your head against the moon door by the last light of durins day !!, lol , but they weren't to easy either , just right  :) and watching all the Lego stuff get built is a lot of fun  :bd:

Did your daughter eventually get to play destiny ?

Yes she did, thanks for asking.  She's able to hold her own with her friends.  They go in as 2 or 3 man teams and have their headsets on so they can coordinate.  Although, the 'coordination,' is mostly jokes and screams of, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!," when they get killed ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Ok grim reaper , point taken and duly noted  :)  thanks for pointing that out kind sir  O0

MD , that sounds like a ton of fun !!!! I honestly can't wait to get this game up and running , and then I'll be posting about my own destiny shananigans  :D glad your daughter and her mates are having fun playing it :)  maybe they'll rope you into playing it with them one day , kids are usually good at that   ;D

Emeraldlis

I've finally got my destiny disc up and running  O:-) and I managed to just have a quick look around the game today . The graphics look awesome , landing on the planet was really cool , and I have a character made of a human hunter ......I think we're gonna kick some alien butt !!!! Lol , so far so good :)

Bison

OK.  I have one complaint about the Xbox One system that is frankly an annoyance for families.  You cannot set up an account for a child without having an email to link the account too.  Seriously?  Why?  I just want an account for my two oldest kids to save game content.  There are a number of laws that prohibit tracking children's information online, which is a good thing.  But many email accounts require a fee and a credit card number attached to the child's account by the parent to protect the child.  Hey Microsoft why not allow local accounts you jerks!  That is the ultimate protection for kids from online predators.  Stupid decision on Microsoft's part.

The annoyance.  For example my oldest and I were playing Diablo III together, but she has to use a guest account.  The guest account will not save any information from the game once the program is exited.  I'd blame Blizzard, but the problem is on Microsoft's side because of how they demand emails for all accounts even for strictly local use only.  Dumb asses.