Reading glasses

Started by DicedT, March 17, 2012, 01:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

A sad topic, but one that unfortunately (and inevitably) applies to many of us. I'm finding I need one pair for reading, and another (lower magnification) for the computer. But now I'm finding that my book reading glasses aren't strong enough to read the small-print numbers (like unit ID) on wargame counters. I'm thinking of trying magnification x 3.00 glasses, but I wonder if that's so focused that you can't see the whole map (which means having to switch to yet another pair of glasses).

Aging sucks.

Michael

Steelgrave

Quote from: DicedT on March 17, 2012, 01:34:03 PM
Aging sucks.

I used to agree, until I decided that it beats the alternative....... :)

Staggerwing

Progressive Lenses.

Available from your Dispensing Eyewear Professional. You have been to the Eye Doctor lately, haven't you?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DicedT

Yup. She says my eyes are perfectly normal. What's irritating is that glasses that are good for reading very small print (the units IDs on 1/2-inch counters) are disorienting when you step back and survey the entire map.

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 17, 2012, 05:08:22 PM
Progressive Lenses.

Available from your Dispensing Eyewear Professional. You have been to the Eye Doctor lately, haven't you?

Bison

Bison

Quote from: DicedT on March 17, 2012, 01:34:03 PM
A sad topic, but one that unfortunately (and inevitably) applies to many of us. I'm finding I need one pair for reading, and another (lower magnification) for the computer. But now I'm finding that my book reading glasses aren't strong enough to read the small-print numbers (like unit ID) on wargame counters. I'm thinking of trying magnification x 3.00 glasses, but I wonder if that's so focused that you can't see the whole map (which means having to switch to yet another pair of glasses).

Aging sucks.

Michael

Seriously though isn't this type of sight issue what bifocals are for?   To use for reading when necessary but without having to take the glasses on and off.

LongBlade

I use 3x power to paint minis.

A recent visit to the eye doc revealed my eyes were in pretty bad shape. Not required for driving, but close (tho that has little to do with reading).

She recommended 2x power for reading.

My suggestion is to take a book to Target, look at their "cheater readers" and see what works. More is not always better when it comes to reading. If you're painting 15mm Flames of War, that's another story.

The good news? She told me I didn't wreck my eyesight by using magnifiers, so don't be afraid to use them.

The other major issue is focal length - depending on where you hold your book some glasses may work better than others.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bapek

Progressives are the way to go if your vision is degrading, but they are expensive - certainly more than my insurance is willing to pay. But with 20/400 in my right eye, I don't have much choice.
Al

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bapek on March 18, 2012, 06:00:54 AM
Progressives are the way to go if your vision is degrading, but they are expensive - certainly more than my insurance is willing to pay. But with 20/400 in my right eye, I don't have much choice.
Al

It's hard for someone who has had good eyesight all their life to wrap their head around buying a pair of $200-$400 glasses.
However, come age 38-45 it catches up with one. It's called Presbyopia and it happens to everyone, no matter how fit they are.
Those who have had to wear glasses since childhood have a leg up on the process as it it nothing new to them. Some folks
who are glasses wearers are lucky to be mildly nearsighted (Myopia) and when the reading issue shows up they can just
take their glasses off to read as this serves the same function as adding Plus power to the bottom of glasses with bifocals or
progressives.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GJK

I've grown a permanent indentation on my forehead where my reading glasses go when I'm not "zooming in" on small/fine print.  Yes, it sucks getting old!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Unless I'm mistaken, Gary Krockover's joined us as well!
Welcome!

GJK

No mistake - just got the invite.  Thanks for the welcome!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter