Spoiler discussion of Infinity War.

Started by Centurion40, April 28, 2018, 08:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The Russo brothers apparently confirmed a number of offscreen survivors and deaths last night.

The list of who lived and died (without spoiling which yet, and the Russos sometimes call "too spoilery"):

Howard the Duck

Matt Damon's Asgardian thespian (playing Loki in that doofy play)

Jane Foster

Betty Ross

Korg and Meek (the rock guy and the bug guy from Thor3)

Shuri (BP's sister, presumably heir to the Panther title -- she's seen briefly after the "Snappening", but there was clearly an inexplicable lag for dramatic effect so...)

Aunt May

Sif (this one surprised me)

Ned (Leeds? Can't recall -- he's Parker's best friend in school)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

AUNT MAY?!?!?

Noooooooooooo

I mean, kill everyone but not her! :)

My daughter posited an idea that everyone that was eliminated was put into the Soul Stone somehow and will return later. I checked the Wiki article for the next Avengers movie and Black Panther is listed as being in it. Guess that means some are making a comeback, somehow.

JasonPratt

Here's Jessica Chobits if you want the same info from a cuter host ;)

The interview happened in the HuffPost. Link here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/avengers-infinity-war-directors-confirm-which-characters-died-off-screen_us_5af5f6fee4b032b10bfaa3a0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 15, 2018, 08:16:24 AM
I checked the Wiki article for the next Avengers movie and Black Panther is listed as being in it. Guess that means some are making a comeback, somehow.

Could easily mean that Shuri becomes the Black Panther (she did in the comics). The Russo brothers are being very cagey about how Avengers 4 will play out.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/avengers-infinity-war-russo-brothers-confirm-off-screen-deaths-1201964297/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

No, it had Chadwick listed as the actor. But who knows...it's Wiki after all. Still, good point.

Sir Slash

Yeah I'm thinking some or all of the heroes will make some kind of effort to un-do Thanos' victory from inside the Soul Stone, maybe even Heimdal too. Plus there's probably going to be some kind of 'time rewind' thing to defeat him, maybe all the way back to when Ironman set the nuke into Thanos' world in Avengers 1. Maybe this time Tony stays with it and flies it into Thanos himself sacrificing himself to kill the Big Guy. Who knows?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

More details from the Russo Bros. interview(s?):

Topically without spoiling details:

BruceTasha;

The name of Starlord's new ship in IWar (since the "Milano" was thoroughly destroyed in GotG2);

The Xandar battle pre-film;

Cap and Wakanda

Why go Hulk-lite?

Why was Peter's death so drawn-out in-story? (Obviously for dramatic purposes, but there's an in-story explanation, too.)

Where was Sean Gunn's Raglin? (The director's brother was still onset as the physical double for Rocket -- which is weird because he's a normal height person -- but what about his GotG2 character? I'll go ahead and spoil this answer: "He was doing something else."  ::) )

That scene with Thanos and Gamora...?

The deleted Guardians scene on Knowhere.

Translating Groot's final line.

airboy

Did not like the movie which I saw tonight.  I hate alternate universes.  We are going to have one (or more egads).

Anyway, I'm expecting to see Captain Marvel (Thanos traditional enemy) come back.  They use the time stone thing to reverse time at least to when Thanos snuffed half the world.

And snuffing half the world is so tree-huggy stupid.  I'm guessing the remaining half won't breed or use up stuff?  So we don't have the exact same problem about 200 years from now (after all, how long does it take the population to double again)?

JasonPratt

For that matter, there is no balance in doing so because of all the consequent deaths that will result. (cf the copter crash in the epilogue scene.)

As noted, I'm willing to give a pass on Thanos' rationales because he's a guy who enjoys killing and conquering things who went through a traumatic experience and decided to ideologize his own faults to make himself feel better about it. (I mean in this version of the story.) His plan doesn't have to make sense. But since he's plotted as the protagonist (in order to give his character the gravitas expected from a villain 10 years in the making about whom we know almost nothing when the film starts, so far as the MCU goes), then he doesn't really get challenged on his views by the heroes even when (like Gamora) they have the opportunity.

Which a true protagonist would be challenged about, but then his Villain status would be more readily exposed and it would be harder for the audience to get the weird feeling we're watching his story. The plotting strategy, although audacious (and maybe necessary under the circumstances), is kind of broken.

jamus34

I admit his goal is better than the one they thought up in the book (he wants to bang lady death???? Really?)

It does have some major holes though.

All in all it's better than the "I'm the bad guy and I want mawr pawah" that most villains have in the MCU.
Insert witty comment here.