Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Wentworth. It's a modern version of Prisoner: Cell Block H, which ran in the late 70's and 80's. It's a hard core women's prison drama set in New Zealand. It's definitely not Orange is the New Black, the Wentworth women would make the girls in Orange their bitches in record time.  Pretty damn good show, almost a guilty pleasure.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on June 12, 2015, 07:06:42 PM
If Luther is still available, it's well worth watching.

Netflix does well offering a lot of really good British mysteries that were originally broadcast on PBS Masterpiece Mystery. "Foyle's War", "Midsomer Murders", "Sherlock", to name a few. 
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Is the Americanized version of 'Cracker' available online anywhere? I didn't get the chance to watch when it was on TV and I'm curious how it compares to the original? I don't expect it to be better, just 'different'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Some recommended lesser known & indies currently on Netflix:

Movies:

Europa Report  > Sci-Fi, mission to Europa
Night Watch (plus the sequel Day Watch)  > Supernatural alterna-world
Ravenous  >  Supernatural/Slasher Western  (Wendigo!)
John Dies At The End  >  Horror Comedy
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil  > Slasher Comedy
Black Death  > Medieval Thriller
Valhalla Rising  > Viking Weirdness

Those are all somewhat dark movies, in their respective genres, but well worth watching for anyone.

If you have Amazon Prime, I'd also recommend watching The Color Out Of Space (2012).  Despite being as indie as it gets, and some bad acting in places (mostly when indie German actors are trying to act American), this still has some wonderfully dark & foreboding stretches that rival any old Twilight Zones and the like.  And it's Lovecraft, of course.

Martok

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 12, 2015, 07:57:00 PM

Netflix does well offering a lot of really good British mysteries that were originally broadcast on PBS Masterpiece Mystery. "Foyle's War", "Midsomer Murders", "Sherlock", to name a few.
Love "Foyle's War".  I really need to borrow my dad's DVD's and catch up on the series (am somewhere in season 3 IIRC). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Martok on June 16, 2015, 04:48:25 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 12, 2015, 07:57:00 PM

Love "Foyle's War".  I really need to borrow my dad's DVD's and catch up on the series (am somewhere in season 3 IIRC).

Yeah. We just watched series 8. Things get interesting after the war.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

BanzaiCat

I just stumbled across nine seasons of Danger Mouse on Netflix. Exactly what I DO NOT need, trying to catch up for Monday at the job. :(

Nor the games I bought on Steam tonight, but pfft, whatevs.

mirth

My kids have been watching 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!' on Netflix. I've watched several episodes with them and it's damned good. Maintains decent fidelity to the comics while mixing in elements of the MCU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers:_Earth%27s_Mightiest_Heroes
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on December 12, 2014, 10:23:26 PM
I'm watching Anchorman 2 right now.

I almost lost my breath laughing at the Winnebago crash scene.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 24, 2015, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 12, 2014, 10:23:26 PM
I'm watching Anchorman 2 right now.

I almost lost my breath laughing at the Winnebago crash scene.

That was hilarious.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Saw a documentary about The Beatles fan club secretary called "Good Ol Freda".  I would call that a must watch for any Beatles fans out there.

JasonPratt

Mirth, agreed: Avengers:EMH is objectively better than the DCAU's Justice League/Unlimited series, and that is no faint praise.

The second season unfortunately stumbles somewhat for various reasons (probably having to do with the lead writers jumping ship once word came down the series was being canceled for a reboot slightly more in line with the Avengers movie at least visually). Still good, but not at the same watermark.

If y'all haven't gotten to the Justice League yet, I recommend watching the three seasons of Superman:TAS first, since major plot points in JL/U tie directly back to events in that series. (Batman, not so much; even Batman Beyond could be technically skipped, despite the JL finale episode, one season too soon due to the producers not being aware they'd get another season yet, being almost completely a finale to that series, too.)

Btw, is Land of the Lost on Netflix? I mean the original series? That is a surprisingly hardcore science fiction epic, if the eps are watched in order (leaving the last of the first season eps to be watched at the end of the second season, since they didn't know they'd get a second season. The third season can be safely skipped, and probably should be.) It will scare the absolute pee out of kids, too.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

There's an indy movie called "Chef" you guys might like - I really dug it. Great little film with lots of star cameos in it. Stars Jon Favreau, Sofía Vergara, John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, and Robert Downey, Jr., as well as a few others I'm forgetting about.

Favreau is a talented cook in a high-end restaurant, but he gets fed up and ends up quitting his job to start a lunch truck. It's highly rated and very entertaining.

Centurion40

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 25, 2015, 02:30:55 PM
There's an indy movie called "Chef" you guys might like - I really dug it. Great little film with lots of star cameos in it. Stars Jon Favreau, Sofía Vergara, John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, and Robert Downey, Jr., as well as a few others I'm forgetting about.

Favreau is a talented cook in a high-end restaurant, but he gets fed up and ends up quitting his job to start a lunch truck. It's highly rated and very entertaining.

Yeah.  I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2015, 06:25:45 PM

If you're into history and witchcraft, check out Salem...surprisingly scary and well done, and the female lead is quite hawt.

I finished watching the one season of Salem on Netflix.  It's a very good series.  O0