Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

TURN FIFTEEN -- FORUM PHASE
---------------------------

The random Manpower Shortage is the only remaining Event per se in the Forum, and it discards now.

Erax controls the Highest Ranking Available Officer, Roman Consul Plautius, and therefore goes first around the board this Turn.

Erax's Progressives roll a 3+1, which isn't a 7, so he draws a Scenario... it's a red-text Faction card, so face-down with his other three cards. I've sent him a p-mail to alert him what he drew.

Flam, as per Erax's preplanning, spends 5 of his 15 personal cash on an automatic 3rd knight. Normal vote tally goes up to 8.

Without further instructions from Erax I'll continue on, but I'll allow some reasonable asynch lag if he decides he wants to try Persuading a senator (which I'm not sure is possible for him to succeed at yet) or changing Faction leader or sponsoring Games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I.I.'s Aristocrats roll 6+4, which is a Scenario draw: also a red-text Faction card, to join his other one face down. I've pmailed him about what he got.

I don't have any instructions from I.I. yet about his faction management intentions this Turn, so I'll wait here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 01, 2019, 04:14:57 PM

AzTank gives 10 to each guy, keeps the remaining 38. Paulus will hold games with 7 of his. Apparently I should make the local tax choices. I choose to keep the proportional plan going that he started last turn: 2 troops, 1 fleet (now 4:2).

Sorry I missed this...but agree with your resolution
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Tripoli's Militarists roll 3+1, which would earn a tidy profit in craps! (Because Erax already rolled a 4, and indeed 3+1, so matching it again before rolling a 7 would earn a 2 to 1 payoff!) He draws a Scenario card: yet another red-text Faction Intrigue, face-down to join his current one. I've sent Tripoli a p-mail about it.

Aelius spends 5 of his 12 on an automatic 3rd knight (vote tally up to 23, Mil skill up from 5 to 6); and then his remaining 7 cash Sponsoring level 1 games, which earns him 1 Pop point (up from 1 to 2). (Unrest is already at 0.)

JasonPratt

The Frog's Plutocrats roll 4+2, which is not a 7, and so he draws a Scenario: also a red-text Intrigue card, joining his other two face down! I've sent the Frog a p-mail about this.

Acilius spends 5 for an automatic 3rd knight. (This does not increase the Plutocrat vote tally yet, because Acilius is out Governing Provinces.)

JasonPratt

AzTank's Conservatives roll a 5+1, so draw a Scenario card: also a red-text Faction card, which joins his other two cards face down. I've sent him a p-mail about his card.

Paullus Macedonicus spends 7 of his 10 cash to sponsor games, increasing his Popularity from 3 to 4. (Unrest is already at 0.)

JasonPratt

Last around the Forum Phase this Turn, are Malize's Populists who roll 1+1 -- which fortunately isn't a bad thing for this roll! It isn't a 7, so he draws a Scenario: yet one more red-text Faction card! (A clean sweep around the table for those this Turn! -- so proportionately fewer in the remaining Middle Era turns...) I've sent a p-mail to Malize about this already.

Cato, per Malize's plan, spends all 7 of his personal cash on Sponsoring Games, gaining 1 point of popularity for himself (up to 6), and farming another point of popularity which Malize gives to Aurelius (up to 5). Populist vote tally goes up to 38 (now that Field Consul FabiMax has been ransomed home.)

This ends the Forum Phase for Turn 15.

JasonPratt

TURN FIFTEEN -- POPULATION PHASE
--------------------------------

Putting Rome in Order before the Senate!

All senators with office PontMax and above get Major suspicion of corruption.

No Tax Farming areas threatened by War.

Tax Farmer 6 rolls 1, so fails to respawn.

In the senatorial family pile, from top to bottom: 4, 3, 5!, and another 5! The bottom two families (most recent casualties), each manage to get a new scion accepted into the Senate! -- the Fulvians and the Papirians. Neither of these have active Statesmen on the board -- the Papirians don't have one in the decks at all (no bracket around their family #11), so they'll be up for Persuasion to join a Faction next Turn!

Hamilcar avoids the death roll with a 3; but Hannibal rolls a 6, and passes away while still trying to organize a new Punic War. Press F to pay respects!

Adjusting Unrest: no more droughts currently in effect, but the Unprosecuted 2nd Macedonian War kicks unrest up one notch from 0 to 1.

The current HRAO is Roman Consul Plautius of the Progressives, and he opens the Senate with a State of the Republic speech: 7 Popularity -1 Unrest +5+5+2 (3d6 roll) = 18! This would adjust Unrest back down 3 points, but it's only at 1 so it goes to 0.

This begins the Senate Phase for Turn 15. I'll have mat snapshots presently for the State of the Republic.

JasonPratt

I didn't get the State of the Republic snapshots and reports finished last night, but I should be able to get them this afternoon.

Working off memory, however, here are some preliminaries to be thinking about...

FIRST MANDATORY (Consuls): FabiMax got ransomed home before the Senate started, so he's still Field Consul. This means he cannot be a Consul again this turn, although he's now eligible for Censor. Erax's Plautius is the other Consul.

SECOND MANDATORY (PontMax): y'all still have one, Flaminius of the Progressives.

THIRD MANDATORY (Dictator): there are 3+ Active Wars, so your Consuls can appoint one (or open the floor for Proposals and voting).

FOURTH MANDATORY (MoH): just remember that a Statesman assigned as MoH cannot use his abilities. (Relevantly FabiMax's half-casualty reduction, or Paullus Macedon's D/S nerfing.)

FIFTH and SIXTH MANDATORY (Censor and Prosections): refer back upthread to the pre-distribution snapshots for reference (until I get updated ones out) for who has been or is a Prior Consul, thus valid for Censor.

SEVENTH MANDATORY (Governors): all Provinces are currently assigned. You can still Propose reassignments, or to restart someone's term clock. The Lusitania War will be going after one of the Hispanias this Turn (I can't recall if it's Cisterior or Ulterior, but not both), so if you aren't planning ahead to fight the War directly you should be thinking about which Governor you want to risk there -- and whether to send him Garrison Legions!

OTHER BUSINESS (Concessions): the temporary Land Commish is ready to assign again; and there's a Tax Farm waiting for assignment.

FORCE POOL: two or three Legions (I forget how many, refer back upthread or wait for the report) were sent back to the Force Pool last turn as casualties. They can be raised again, though whether you really need them this turn is another question. There're also a few Fleets still available in the logistic pool, but y'all currently have enough for any support actions, and no current war needs fleet combat.

LUSITANIA WAR: this thing is still around (strength 6), and roughly half your Legions (plus a little fleet support) are still Deployed there -- without a Commander! I'll have to check the rules about whether units Recalled this Turn can be redeployed the same turn (I think so but I don't feel totally sure). If you don't Recall them, you'll need to Deploy a Commander (Consul, or Dictator/MoH team) to lead them. Otherwise they'll Recall back to Rome automatically at the end of the Senate Phase. You can send reinforcements with a new Commander, at your discretion.

2nd MACWAR: this is the strongest war currently on the board (strength 10). It went Unprosecuted last turn, but y'all were able to handle its Unrest easily. It doesn't require a Naval Victory, just some fleet support to secure a supply lane. AzTank's PaullusMac can avoid its D/S risks, and he's eligible for Consul duty this Turn (or for Dictator of course). It will NOT provide a new Province if you Defeat it (I don't recall when/how Macedon becomes available, just not this way), but it will give the most Spoils of any War currently on the board. If it's still around next turn, and you've picked up Illyricum, it'll attack that.

2ND ILLWAR (4): this is the weakest war currently on the board, and does not create drought conditions. If you defeat it, you'll get a new province, Illyricum.

Erax

I propose a contract: Claudius and Aemilius Macedonicus for Consules, with Fabius Maximus for Censor. The Censor will not prosecute any who agree to the Contract.

JasonPratt

TURN FIFTEEN -- SENATE PHASE
----------------------------

Time for some snapshots!

I.I.'s Aristocrats have dropped to a verrrry close third place, with nothing much special to say about his position -- other than that he's in the midst of three other contenders now!

Tripoli's Militarists strode recently into the solid leading Faction, thanks to the Frog's machinations. No real weaknesses, currently, although he does lack any way of boosting his normal vote tally. Whether he stays in the lead will depend on some luck and his ability to navigate suddenly suspicious political waters.

The Frog's Plutocrats dropped to last place earlier this Turn when the Mortality Bag kicked his most powerful senator, Fulvius, into the grave! The Fulvians managed to get a new scion ready already, but whether he can be persuaded to join the Plutocrats again remains to be seen (during the next Forum Phase).

AzTank's Conservatives have slowly but steadily clawed back up in power, jockeying for position with the Aristocrats -- and each of them jostling the Populists! But AzTank currently lacks voting punch with two of his three senators out on Governance -- not even considering that his remaining senator may well be called to war against Macedonia this turn! It's a very respectable fourth place position, and he could shoot up relatively quickly now at any time.

I'm ranking Malize's Populists in a somewhat narrow second place lead this Turn, due to their solid combination of votes, influence, and senatorial flexibility on the board (including Cato's once-per-turn Tribune role). His four Intrigue cards don't hurt either! His financial luck has continued to be hideous, but he's in position to increasingly profit if his luck turns for the better. But his new position doesn't yet leave other Players safely behind.

!!NOTE!! I forgot to bring back FabiMax's votes to the Senate once he was ransomed back home. Total Vote tally should be 38.

Erax's Progressives are making for the strongest 5th place I've seen in the game so far! -- and I'm not even trying to be funny about that! His lack of more than two senators is hurting his voting power, and also makes his Faction more fragile to bad luck or to enemy action. But he has been so politically active in recent turns that his Faction has moved along nicely... despite me mixing up Flaminius with Plautius last turn!

(Note that this snapshot should fix my mistake, though prior posts will still read as though Plautius went out to fight. The proper rewards have been deducted from Plautius and given to Flaminius, including the new Veteran Legion loyalty. I still forgot to move the HRAO marker, but that won't matter much longer. Flam is HRAO.)

Here are the Active Wars, which can be somewhat zoomed in by clicking, though I may have to just provide extra snapshots. (Let me know if so!) The military units deployed over at the Lusitania War can be hard to see against the colorfully busy background painting on the board, so I have highlighted them with a yellow hex.

These are the units already active waiting to be deployed (lower) and waiting to be raised again (upper).

There are no bad effects hanging around in the Forum this Turn. This is just a reminder of two Concessions which can be (but not necessarily) doled out by vote to senators this Turn; and that there are now three unattached senators in case you want to sacrifice someone to a problematic Governorship... ;)

The Senate starts with 88 Talents in the Republic's Treasury. Current normal expenses (unless adjusted) for next turn will be (-20 x three Wars) + (-2 x 45 active units), plus a normal 100 income for a projected net of 38 Talents.

Roman Consul FLAMINIUS (not Plautius) of the Progressives, played by Erax, is now up for first Mandatory Business: Consul Proposals.

While technically the rules forbid Consuls from being part of a public deal (what we've been calling a Contract package), we've been doing that all game long and I don't see any harm in it, so per house rule judgment I fully agree to keep allowing it.  O:-)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on June 03, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
I propose a contract: Claudius and Aemilius Macedonicus for Consules, with Fabius Maximus for Censor. The Censor will not prosecute any who agree to the Contract.

This is just a handy reference quote, since he posted that before I finished getting the snapshots ready.  O0

Note to Erax: check your notes on Plaut's and Flam's influence -- I suspect they're still off by 5 either way, with me having given the Roman Consul Influence to Plaut instead of Flam. But I haven't been able to confirm that yet in my notes.

If you decide you'd rather keep them close to par, like this, I have no objections, since it's totally my fault the mixup happened in the first place.  :-[

Erax

Apparently I missed the 1 Inf I got from voting against the proposed law last turn, but with that, my notes tell me these are the correct Inf values for my Senators.

And now that the snapshots are up, I'll propose the contract 'officially'.

Ethel the Frog