WWII ETO

Started by GJK, April 05, 2013, 09:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I played - and enjoyed - the AH 3rd Reich quite a few times growing up.
I've heard mixed reviews about the AP version, but I do really, really like the graphic updates of the new AP game (especially the counter art).

There are times when I wish the map was slightly re-scaled and gave you more room to maneuver through Western Europe, and less of the vast, unused reaches of Russia.

I will say that I've tried a variety of gambits just to see if history plays out differently if you try something else.  Don't invade Poland and go straight for France, or have Italians invade France first just to draw fire.  Why not go for more of Scandinavia than just Norway?  You can actually ignore a lot of the Balkans and got straight for Russia if you want, and a southern drive along the Polish-Romanian border ends up really f'n' with the Russians, because they either eat the tip of your spear, or they invade Romania to flank you and bring Romania in on your side.

As the Brits, there's nothing stopping you from invading Holland and trying to keep a hold on the continent, and it can really screw with the Germans - you might lose anyway, but you'll cripple their eastern attack because they finally get annoyed with you and send about 6 Panzer Divs (waaaaaaaay overkill) just to quit poking around at you.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Interesting gambits, Brant.

I used to own a copy of the original version, many moons ago, and it brings back some good gaming memories. Seeing the new version does give me the urge to reach for the much abused credit card, but I shall resist and maintain a stiff upper lip, (and a weak flabby mind).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

I'd really like to get a WW2 Europe game going, but Third Reich is just too much for me.

I would like to game Normandy at some point.  I think I could handle an operational game better than a strategic level ETO. 

If we could find a reasonably priced, not too hard to find GMT Normandy game, that would suit me just fine.  Get some teams together and do a PMEM Vassal AAR here on the Grogs...yeah, I could be on board with that!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2013, 12:56:14 AM
I'd really like to get a WW2 Europe game going, but Third Reich is just too much for me.

I would like to game Normandy at some point.  I think I could handle an operational game better than a strategic level ETO. 

If we could find a reasonably priced, not too hard to find GMT Normandy game, that would suit me just fine.  Get some teams together and do a PMEM Vassal AAR here on the Grogs...yeah, I could be on board with that!

GMT's Normandy '44 is an absolutely superb game on the subject. Well worth getting if you can.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

I hear that Turning Point Stalingrad is also an excellent multiplayer game (switching fronts on this topic).

Back on Third Reich and that style of game, something that I asked a wargaming buddy that I thought might make for an interesting discussion:

I'm reading old messages about Third Reich tactics on CSW and they are talking about taking out Poland on the first turn with a 3:1 attack on Warsaw.  I've gotten to where I can take out Poland on the first turn, sometimes with losses and sometimes not, on 3x 2:1 attacks (losses depend on if an exchange result is rolled).  I was practicing different opening moves trying to perfect it.  Poland will have pretty much the same set up every time, 2x 2-3 units in Warsaw with the two 1-4 air units protecting it and the rest of the units in the six surrounding hexes. That's the kind of wargaming that I like - chess like.  Many (most?) wargamers hate that (too scripted!).  Fire in the Sky is like that on the Pacific side; very chess like in your procedures.  Do you like that style of game or do you prefer the more random type where the luck of the CRT plays a larger role in determining the final outcome?  As mentioned, the CRT in Third Reich is a given for the Attacker on any attack at 2:1 odds or greater.  You will take the hex.  You may or may not suffer losses in doing so however.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer