WWII card games?

Started by Swatter, May 15, 2015, 09:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatter

What are the best you have played?

I have an itch for a game that is easily transported and setup, and plays quickly. Difficulty can be on the high end of moderate.

Cyrano

Oh, such a list...in order of my own preference.

Up Front! -- THE WWII card game.  A big discussion thread elsewhere on the mighty Grog forum on this topic, but an original copy will cost you north of $100 if it's in any kind of decent condition.

Frontline: D-Day:  Let's call it Up Front! lite.  Also a lot cheaper to get hold of an original copy.

Battle for Stalingrad: Like it a ton, actually, although it wears the theme a bit thinly.

Spearpoint 1943 -- Definitely fits your portability standard and it's fun to play.

Down in Flames -- Great if you're into the air power side of the war.  Lots of different editions on this one, but one its greatest strengths is that it scales up very well.  It abstracts airplane positioning, though, which can cause folks to prefer...

Wings of War -- People forget that this game comes with cards that can supplant the lovely models.  I, personally, don't like the fiddly maneuver mechanics, but it's obviously MUCH loved.

Echelons of Fury -- I know little of this one other than Brant praised it in a recent Grogcast and that's a fine recommendation by me.

World of Tanks: Rush -- I like the game, but all it has in common with WWII is the lovely pictures of tanks.  It's a deck-metastisizing game with a WWII smock on.

And here's a fine list that includes more info about these and others...as I age, I find these a fine way to spend some time...

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51419/wwii-card-games-definitive-list/page/1?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Spearpoint 1943 is a riot, but it's not very historical.  It's less "the Longest Day" and more "Saving Private Ryan" - a good narrative against historical backdrop, but not necessarily a recreation of something historical.  It's a very nicely-designed game, tho, and the sub-systems, like tracking damage, are cleverly-executed.

Echelons of Fury is fun, but it's a CCG, with all the baggage that entails.  Within the realm of CCGs, it stands out.  Within the list Cyrano posted above, it's on the weaker end of it.  There are probably better games for your requirements.

The "Lightning" Series from DG isn't bad either.  The North Africa one is the one that has the best "feel" to it as ebbs and flows
http://shop.decisiongames.com/searchresults.asp?cat=65
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ArizonaTank

If portability is high on the list, Down in Flames is a good bet.  All you really need are the decks and a few counters. 

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Isn't DVG putting out the WWII version of Modern Naval Battles soon, too?

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2015, 12:55:19 PM

Yep!

Rekim

A deluxe version of Down In Flames has been on the GMT P500 for years now (over the 500 mark for at least one of them). No updates that I'm aware of for it. Would love to add it to my collection some day.

GJK

I've enjoyed playing The Fires of Midway.  The production quality is quite nice and it's a simple game to learn, being a "cat and mouse" variety as you'd expect with the battle of Midway:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57073/fires-midway

(The "insert url link" thingie is broken suddenly for me though it may be this browser)

A sister game is "The Hell of Stalingrad" which also has some very good ratings on BGG.  I recently passed along my copy of this in the "pay it forward" facebook group. 

Like others though, my favorite is Up Front.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Swatter

Thanks guys, I am checking that stuff out. I will update when a purchase is made.

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2015, 12:55:19 PM

Can't wait for that to arrive in the mailbox!  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Interestingly, I just happened upon this at Half Price Books - counters unpunched.  2nd edition in excellent condition:

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

wow!  I suppose it went home with you, too, eh?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Interestingly enough my copy of Up Front reprint should be in tomorrow.

PE

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 17, 2015, 07:12:55 PM
wow!  I suppose it went home with you, too, eh?

Oh yes - wasn't going to let that one go (though it's my 3rd copy of the game).  Will probably reinventory it for resale.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

That box is in amazing shape.

Bet that's a keeper.