Your favorite operational level ACW game or series?

Started by GJK, March 08, 2015, 03:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Looking for some feedback.  I enjoyed Dean Essig's/The Gamer's "Civil War Brigade Series" and am now going through the updated "Line of Battle" rules for his next series of games.  I have "None but Heroes" and am looking to try a solo game of it soon.  The rules are a bit fiddly I'm finding however.  The Sharpsburg/Antietam battle is one of my favorite to game.

I've also looked at XTR's "Antietam" which is a simple game and enjoyable as well.  I also have an eye on "Stonewall's Sword" which is due out at the end of the month (different battle but the scale is what I like - regimental/brigade).  I could pick up "A gleam of bayonets" which seems to be a classic (despite its age and being from a designer that I personally don't particularly care for). 

The GCACW series is a great one, I'm sure, but I don't care for the scale (divisional).  I want something that has formations and morale and orders.  So, any other suggestions?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

If you have time to look into ACW games then you have time to finish our ASLSK game.  :D

Seriously though, I too am curious about ACW operational level games. I'm surprised that you haven't yet had any replies here. The Game Box probably has a greater proportion of board game grog members. You might want to post this over there.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

PanzersEast

I recently picked up Across 5 Aprils and have really enjoyed it.

PE

panzerde

My suggestion was going to be GCACW, but that it's what you're after. Based on my interpretation of Operational, it's about the only thing I've found. Regiment/Brigade is more Grand Tactical or Tactical in my book.

That's not to say that there aren't some good games out there at that scale - I'll certainly second Across Five Aprils. Avalon Hill's Devils Den was good fun too, if you can find a copy of it - though definitely tactical in scale.

GCACW is definitely worth a try though, if you want to game campaigns rather than battles.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

I did check out the Game Box and yes, there were a number of threads of praise for the Line of Battle series so I'm going through the rules for it.  I wouldn't mind trying a GBACW game, they've been classics for some time (and the series is still active and has lots of supporters). 

Yes, Grand Tactical is probably a better term though Operational (especially for say Getttysburg) fits as well I believe.

Uber: Yes, we do need to finish.  I moved the weekend before last and just got my gaming PC set up so I'm up for continuing any time.  I'll look for you on Skype and see if you're around.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer