2018 Flight Sim survey

Started by jomni, December 19, 2018, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Quote from: Toonces on December 21, 2018, 11:33:21 PM
I am mostly a combat flight sim guy, but for a few years there when I was in Hawaii I got pretty heavily into flying civilian airliners to the point I joined a virtual airline.  I have never been able to adequately explain it, but there is/was something extremely soothing about driving a civilian 737 or MD88 through the virtual skies. 

And, as with the survey, I actually preferred the short-haul airliners and shorter routes.  More interaction with the cockpit I suppose.

When I started simming in the early 2000s I did a lot of GA flying. But when I got back into it a few years, I've flown airliners almost exclusively. I completely agree with how soothing/relaxing it can be. Once you get into the climb and cruise there's not much to do but sit back, relax, and take endless amounts of screenshots. Haven;t gotten to a point where I've joined a VA. I've looked into a few, Westwind, Delta and BA virtual, but never pulled the trigger on signing up.

Same for the typical routes flown, but for me its more of a time issue. I normally do most of my flying on the weekends, and don't really want to spend 6 hours or more crossing the pond or doing another super long haul flight.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MikeGER

my career as a flight simmer started exactly in here  ^-^

at that time as a beginner physics student i thought: Would be so cool do have this at home on a "Personal owned Computer" and i will be stunned by what will be possible in the future to come, ....and so it was O0

it was a time when as a student you could still gave a staple of punch-cards to the computation center to run your little Fortran program and got a printout next day. thankfully replaced by remote terminals in dedicated rooms and later by a remote terminal (you can see those in Alien1, and display had green text only) in every office room in the physics department, each to share with a handful of office mates   

it took a while and i had this on my C64

(i remember i had a 911 precognition, i tried to pass between the towers  ...and thought what a mess if a plane would actually try that)   

and better and better sims on the Amiga500 and later PC

played a hell out of Lucas Arts  Battle of Britain

my interest mostly remained in combat and especially in CAS  ...like in the very first sim: strafing
,plus unguided rockets, not so into bombing  ...maybe beside Stukas :D

so i was all exited about Cliffs of Dover before the release  ....but like we all know, it was a mess with all the bugs beside devs and later modders trying to improve it. 

civil simulation:
i like to fly, start (and maybe land) a bush plane in xplane10 , if the landscape is as real and as photorealistic as it gets from 300m flight level
i have zero interest in starting a Airbus380 with all the procedures in DUS and proper land it in LAX so   
but enjoy the DCS simulation of cold start and getting a UH-1 gunship in the air and flying a mission ... i miss a DC- Nam map so 

...so looking back it was along rough ride until the DCS 2.5.3 we have now.

Skoop

The quality wings 787 for p3d and the Toliss A319 for xplane have a skip to waypoint feature that's been amazing for cutting down long haul flights.  I usually skip from top of climb right through to top of decent, just focus on the important stuff that way.

Gusington

I would give my left nut for a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe remake :(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2018, 04:27:37 PM
I would give my left nut for a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe remake :(

Same here, even if all they did was increase the resolution to 800x600.

OTOH, they could include a few new 'aircraft'...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

SWotL  ...if development cycle at DCS and 3dparty would not take literarily yeeears, we already had a decent makeshift follow up. ::)

at least they speak about the  Me262 so add a Komet and a Natter
(why does development of the software representation takes longer then development the f-ing real things in history)

and what happend to the Ju87 development?
I want a Battle of Britain 1940 too
level bombers can be AI driven, so we need the Hurricane and the Me 110 and some ground structures, for example radar masts
i have read a SouthEngland map may be in the making... ?     

Gusington

A Me262 game (newer than IL1946) is very necessary...with a LucasArts-style 1945 campaign where players can play as the Reich or the Allies. We need this. Add the Komet in there too and wow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

I'm game for a new version of secret weapons mainly because I missed out on the original. No way am I playing that date thing now, but I would love to experience it with modern graffics.

Gusington

Same. I played LucasArts Battle of Britain for what must have been 1000 hours but could not afford Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe at the time. I totally missed out :(

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jomni

I enjoy flying the B-17 a lot in SWotL.