Main Menu

Goodbye CDs

Started by mirth, February 05, 2018, 12:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Wes

Yeah, that's a major mistake...seems it's more about how everybody is getting paid than the lack of sales (which I figured was the reason for the article).

And with Millennials now returning in force to physical formats (even audio cassettes are rising in sales) the cd is now on the list for people wanting to break away from net based media and actually own something again for a change.

The nosurf reddit even has a guy chiming in and getting response:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosurf/comments/7qvehl/music_im_switching_back_to_cds/

And recent YT videos getting in on the action:

13 Reasons Why Cassettes Are Cool Again in 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du5mi47z7hU&t

Making Cassette Tapes Cool Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNa-KLAgy8

And Jack White's operation is going full steam:

(THIRD MAN PRESSING IS NOW OPEN (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcukGhELqPg

Even the thinking on DVDs is coming around:

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/the-dvd-is-dead-and-you-should-miss-it

Basically, if you own large collections of just about anything these days related to media you may just have a very happy retirement future ahead of you...I'm thinking about cashing mine in :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

mirth

Physical media is dead. You can make a case for vinyl from an audiophile standoiint, but I don't think you can do the same for CDs. And most CDs made in the last 20 years were never expected to last more than 20 years. So it is entirely possible that a disc you bought in 1998 is no longer playable.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

trailrunner

I didn't know anybody sold CDs any more.  I got rid of my CDs a long time ago.

BanzaiCat

I was really surprised when I found my new(ish) car didn't have a CD player. Sign 'o the times I guess.

trailrunner

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 06, 2018, 08:48:44 AM
I was really surprised when I found my new(ish) car didn't have a CD player. Sign 'o the times I guess.

I was actually surprised that the truck I bought last year did have a CD player.

Gusington

I love my CDs and still buy new music on CD...from Amazon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Some CDs you buy on Amazon have an insta-download option - buy the CD, you can get it shipped to you, but you can immediately download the MP3s from the album to your PC/device.

I bought a few CDs last year from Amazon but gave them away as I had the MP3s, so I had no need of them.

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on February 11, 2018, 06:38:11 PM
I love my CDs and still buy new music on CD...from Amazon.

Luddite!

I still remember those long boxes CD used to come in.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on February 11, 2018, 06:48:56 PM
I still remember those long boxes CD used to come in.  ;D

Heh. I had forgotten about those.

BanzaiCat

I had so many damn cassettes back in the 80s and early 90s. I was afraid to make the jump to CDs until they started appearing in my cars. Hell, I had a 2004 Volvo a few years back that had a CD and a cassette player, but both apparently are goners.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

We probably have a 1000 CDs.  My wife is talking about converting everything to digital with 2x copies on portable hard drives.  I'll believe that will happen when I see it.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on February 05, 2018, 11:08:10 PM
Physical media is dead. You can make a case for vinyl from an audiophile standoiint, but I don't think you can do the same for CDs. And most CDs made in the last 20 years were never expected to last more than 20 years. So it is entirely possible that a disc you bought in 1998 is no longer playable.

I forgot about that. I have CDs from the early/mid 80s that still seem like new.

Quote from: airboy on February 11, 2018, 09:38:12 PM
We probably have a 1000 CDs.  My wife is talking about converting everything to digital with 2x copies on portable hard drives.  I'll believe that will happen when I see it.

I started doing that last year. I'm about half way through.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak