Matrix World in Flames

Started by JudgeDredd, June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I couldn't resist.

So I've been watching the video tutorials, and I came across the one to start a new game...I had to lol at the options available. Note how they differ somewhat (tutorial video capture on the left) from the actual game options (on the right)  :P

At least they left the space to fit the others in

I have no idea at the moment what the internet options gives you yet, I have to be honest   ???

I should leave this post by pointing out that I LOVE the look of this game. It has always really appealed to me
Alba gu' brath

spelk

So the AI opponent was removed? Or is planned in the future?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: spelk on June 26, 2014, 01:47:58 AM
It's still planned for the future afaik
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I thought Internet was broken when it was first launched.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2014, 02:07:41 AM

Somewhere a fairy just died

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on June 26, 2014, 02:44:25 AM
I never knew of the internet method and don't know what it is or how it was/is played.

Netplay was broken on launch.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 26, 2014, 02:48:17 AM

Really?

I believe it is - though I think it'll be a mountain of a task to make it remotely challenging
Alba gu' brath

Ian C

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM
I couldn't resist.

So I've been watching the video tutorials, and I came across the one to start a new game...I had to lol at the options available. Note how they differ somewhat (tutorial video capture on the left) from the actual game options (on the right)  :P

At least they left the space to fit the others in

I have no idea at the moment what the internet options gives you yet, I have to be honest   ???

I should leave this post by pointing out that I LOVE the look of this game. It has always really appealed to me

So, without wanting to sound negative, if there's no AI, what's the difference between the game as it stands and a boardgame simulator like Vassal?

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Boardgame Modules: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules

JudgeDredd

Well Vassal, as you know, doesn't have any rules behind it. This does.

That's just about all I got  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2014, 03:17:15 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 26, 2014, 02:48:17 AM

Really?

I believe it is - though I think it'll be a mountain of a task to make it remotely challenging

If you consider it's been out seven/eight months and even the basic head to head game doesn't work...... that's no AI at all I think a fully working, fully challenging AI is next to impossible

If I'm head of marketing I HAVE to say we are working on one but then go home with my head in my hands and think fkkkkkkkk!

JudgeDredd

lol - granted

I am hopeful though of at least an AI. Challenge is another matter and not a huge issue for me because as many games as I have, I suck at them all!
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Personally I think adding an ai will come down to a couple of things....

1). How long and how much effort it takes to solve all existing issues

2). How many people bought the game and how much future sales they can get from it?  I suspect but have no idea that sales and excitement were less than anticipated.  Don't know how long they can continue to pay the developer if it is not making money, unless it really is doing well.  With the lack of talk and discussions on it, hard to believe that is the case

3). Since the basics of the game seemed pretty broken, it does leave a lot to be desired some kind of complex ai will be successfully implemented.  I would think that would be the hardest part of the game, but who knows.

In the end I do hope it all turns out great since I own it, but I have very low expectations at this point. 

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on June 26, 2014, 03:19:51 AM
So, without wanting to sound negative, if there's no AI, what's the difference between the game as it stands and a boardgame simulator like Vassal?

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Boardgame Modules: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2014, 03:21:20 AM
Well Vassal, as you know, doesn't have any rules behind it. This does.

That's just about all I got  :buck2:

I really wish more boardgame companies would do this. I (for various reasons) won't play a boardgame anymore but if they were available as a PC game 'set' like WiF is right now (lower price of course) I'd probably be broke.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2014, 03:08:27 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 26, 2014, 02:44:25 AM
I never knew of the internet method and don't know what it is or how it was/is played.

Netplay was broken on launch.

The "Internet" option is the NetPlay option....if you click the help button below the options list, it explains what each does.

JudgeDredd

lol - of course it is!!  :idiot2: What was I thinking...for some reason I thought I had seen a Netplay option!  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath