Close Combat-the blood first

Started by LoganismyHERO, August 09, 2019, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganismyHERO

I know beta testing is coming along and there is an NDA, but is anyone here in the beta?

I ask because this looks like a game I'd like to try and with a limited budget and all....just wondering how far along you beta testers think this game has to go before release.

Thanks

Jarhead0331

I'm a beta tester. I don't think release will be too far off. Matter of a couple of months.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23527.0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LoganismyHERO

Thank you for this info Jarhead!  :notworthy:

Love the look and scale of this game.

al_infierno

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening?  Why isn't the game appearing on my SSD??   :pullhair:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

LoganismyHERO

I'd love to hear what the beta people here think of the game?

bobarossa

Does this game carry on the tradition of not allowing you to do ANYTHING while paused?

al_infierno

Quote from: bobarossa on September 20, 2019, 08:26:26 PM
Does this game carry on the tradition of not allowing you to do ANYTHING while paused?

No, this video shows the player giving orders while paused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16Ubu7IPi4
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

That's great to see!  I'll have to start paying attention to this game.  When I bought Cross of Iron a few years ago, I was very upset that I couldn't even view status of my units while paused.

LoganismyHERO

I watched the video and I know it's a beta he was playing but it was concerning to see that Sherman take 5+ shots at maybe 100m away and miss.

Surtur

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on September 20, 2019, 11:03:40 PM
I watched the video and I know it's a beta he was playing but it was concerning to see that Sherman take 5+ shots at maybe 100m away and miss.

This is something we are seeing as well and are looking into :)
There are many things that can affect accuracy, so it is not always easy to get the balance right. Crew experience, combat stress, range, terrain, target size and much more. All are taken into account. The last phase of development on these types of games is often used for balancing and tweaking the values. Having said that, sometimes bad luck is just that, bad luck. So even as we improve the values, there is always the possibility that unlikely things happen, as they do in real life. This can be both a disadvantage or an advantage to the player.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Emir Agic

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on September 20, 2019, 11:03:40 PM

This is very apparent issue in Das Tactic video. Sherman M4A1 is firing at Sdkfz 251/2 from point blank range of 75 meters for couple of minutes and missing. Clear view, no obstacles. Even more strange, Sdkfz 251/2 is just sitting there waiting to be sent to hell. Either crew has nerves of steel or AI is brain dead.

See it for yourself. Shooting starts from around 24 minute of video:

LoganismyHERO

I'm no computer programmer, but that looks like bad AI to me. Otherwise, the game does look nice and I'm sure this is an easy fix (I hope).

GDS_Starfury

not to gloss over the historic failings of CC ai coding but, the meat of the game is pvp.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 22, 2019, 02:54:53 AM
...the meat of the game is pvp.

that claim of developers and esp publisher is so 90ies

its almost 2020, semi automatic cars are on the market, toy selfie drones swirling around your head at workout activity recognizing your hand gestures as an order, privat company owned rocket boosters take off and land on the same spot to be reused, and what not  ... but a decent AI for Close Combat is still a whish to far?

i really hope they improved the AI as much as the graphics, a decent AI can be done see Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm for example.