Close Combat-the blood first

Started by LoganismyHERO, August 09, 2019, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: Emir Agic on September 21, 2019, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: LoganismyHERO on September 20, 2019, 11:03:40 PM
I watched the video and I know it's a beta he was playing but it was concerning to see that Sherman take 5+ shots at maybe 100m away and miss.

This is very apparent issue in Das Tactic video. Sherman M4A1 is firing at Sdkfz 251/2 from point blank range of 75 meters for couple of minutes and missing. Clear view, no obstacles. Even more strange, Sdkfz 251/2 is just sitting there waiting to be sent to hell. Either crew has nerves of steel or AI is brain dead.

See it for yourself. Shooting starts from around 24 minute of video:

Might I remind you that he original close combat games had tank ranges greatly reduced because of scale issues. The ai is not brain dead but more an issue of accuracy values programmed by the devs. Its a shame as i will keep playing steel division or combat mission if this is the case(most likely).
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

Video with the full release version.

Another one
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

No loins too moist.

EDIT:  Those first few seconds of combat in the first video.  Oh god.   :2funny:  It doesn't look like this iteration is handling long distances a helluvalot better but fuggit... I'm buying it on release anyways  \m/  He does eventually land the shot though!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Is it just me or does the scale on the 8 wheeled armoured car look wrong compared to the halftrack in the centre of town? This is in the caumont video about 19:07.
I also don't remember close combat showing when you killed people with artillery?? 7:53 or so, you see a whole lot of ambulance icons pop up where the enemy are killed, enemy you could not otherwise see.

Emir Agic

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/27/the-flare-path-close-combat-preview/

Good news: It is truthful recreation of original CC.
Bad news: It is truthful recreation of original CC.

"It's inspired by the AI's usual manner of attack. Far too often the Red Team bumbles, advancing haphazardly... tardily... foolishly. In defence as the Americans I've rarely felt I'm facing an accomplished, determined, back-to-the-wall Afrika Korps."

I don't see much incentive to buy this iteration in CC series just because it moved to 3D.

LoganismyHERO

Welp, that's enough for me to wait for the bargin bin  :-\

Destraex

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on October 02, 2019, 12:16:08 AM
IS there a preorder price?

matrix never does pre orders, nor do they release a price before the second it goes on sale.  if i had to guess, feels like a $39.99 game to me:)

MikeGER

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 02, 2019, 04:09:26 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 02, 2019, 12:16:08 AM
IS there a preorder price?

if i had to guess, feels like a $39.99 game to me:)

indeed  O0

and with nowadays marketing SOPs there will show up a "Hero" edition for $59:99 with

Base game
A Hürtgenwald Mini Operation
Digital soundtrack
Artbook (in English)
Printable Maps (for upfront planning your battles with acetate overlay and pens) 
;)

Destraex

German campaign is $40 extra as later DLC ;)

LoganismyHERO

Until they fix the AI, I'm holding off on this game.

Rayfer

I'm always baffled by thread posts when this long running series of games comes up. The posts are mostly negative, with AI and pathfinding the two main issues. And yet this series has been ongoing for 15 years, with multiple releases, updates and remake iterations. Out of curiosity I check Wiki and found this: The first five Close Combat games totaled 1.2 million units in sales by April 2004. By 2018, the combined sales of the series' 17 entries had surpassed 5 million units. Obviously, this is a beloved series with many fans. And these numbers are for a game in a niche market.  I like the series, even with its warts and flaws. Every wargame series ever made has its warts and flaws. If I shunned any game that had flaws or suspect AI I would never buy another wargame in my entire life.  Anyway, got that off my chest.  :knuppel2:  So go ahead and tear me to shreds.  :-\

al_infierno

Quote from: Rayfer on October 02, 2019, 09:10:47 AM
I'm always baffled by thread posts when this long running series of games comes up. The posts are mostly negative, with AI and pathfinding the two main issues. And yet this series has been ongoing for 15 years, with multiple releases, updates and remake iterations. Out of curiosity I check Wiki and found this: The first five Close Combat games totaled 1.2 million units in sales by April 2004. By 2018, the combined sales of the series' 17 entries had surpassed 5 million units. Obviously, this is a beloved series with many fans. And these numbers are for a game in a niche market.  I like the series, even with its warts and flaws. Every wargame series ever made has its warts and flaws. If I shunned any game that had flaws or suspect AI I would never buy another wargame in my entire life.  Anyway, got that off my chest.  :knuppel2:  So go ahead and tear me to shreds.  :-\

I'm with you man.  I expect the game to be a bit janky on release day but what game isn't nowadays?  Looking forward to Thursday  \m/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

LoganismyHERO

Matter of choice I guess. I'm sure the game will be ironed out sooner than later. I just chose to wait until some of those issues have been ironed out. Rather avoid the irritation.

smittyohio

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 02, 2019, 09:14:32 AM

Matter of choice I guess. I'm sure the game will be ironed out sooner than later. I just chose to wait until some of those issues have been ironed out. Rather avoid the irritation.

Agreed, watching stationary tanks and/or anti-tank guns fire at each other and miss over and over again just breaks any kind of immersion for me.   Sadly, it doesn't appear to be an isolated event, as we've seen it in several videos.