Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Barth - those mussels look awesome.  Wish you'd let me know and I could've joined you!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Sorry , just decided to have them while shopping this morning.  :)

Barthheart

Tonight for Easter dinner we have a simple fare.... paella.
1/2 lb of clams
1/2 lb of mussels
1/2 lb of shrimp
2 chicken breasts
2 chorizo sausages
2 tomatoes
2 cups of rice
White wine
Chicken stock
Red onion
Garlic
Smoked paprika
And the secret ingredient... actual Saffron! About $10 worth!

Roasting at 450F....

Plus about 3/4 a bottle of white wine for the chef.  :)

If my wife doesn't' come back soon I'm gonna be 300lbs and dead from a heart attack. But what a way to go.  8)

Hofstadter

Rarely get the chance to flex my muscles in the kitchen. Got the chance to go to the stores today. So tonight I made a kangaroo steak seasoned with lemon myrtle, mountain pepperberries and wattleseed on top of a parsnip puree with rosemary, all topped with a red wine sauce (Barossa shiraz). Served with a garden salad.

Would post a pic, but its ugly AF. Tasted brilliant though, should of boiled the parsnips in a stock though for a bit more flavor.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Barthheart

Not the weekend but close enough.  :D

Homemade Ricotta and Parmigiano Gnocchi with peas and bacon in a white wine cream sauce, with fresh baguette and grated Parmigiano cheese.

bayonetbrant

I had splurged on a few steaks over the weekend for the family.  It wasn't much, but we don't do steak very often right now w/ the job uncertainty and irregular paychecks

Then Bayonet Jr invited a soccer friend over for the evening...  no more steaks on the pan - into the slow cooker they went.  It's not that they weren't good; it's that I could've just bought some stew meat for less :-\

(no, I couldn't've saved the steaks; one reason I got them cheap was they needed to be cooked that day)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I had 8 people for poker Saturday night & three extra to eat/socialize.  The host provides a meal and everyone chips in $5 to the host for the cost.

I made:
a] Grilled Pork Chops - my buddy Pig Man raised them at the AU Swine Unit about 7 miles from where I live.
b] Corn on the Cob (fresh - good deal for white corn right now)
c] Cornbread
d] Grilled Zucchini.  The Grilled Zucchini was the biggest hit of all.  I skinned it.  Cut it into thin slices (about 1/8th inch thick).  Take paper towels and dry both sides for an hour.  Lightly baste with olive oil.  Then sprinkle a grilling spice of roasted garlic & herbs.  Both sides are basted and sprinkled.  I let it sit at room temperature in a lattice stack.  This drained off more water.  Then grilled them outside at approximately 350 turning once.  You have to watch them carefully because slight differences in thickness mean a lot in grilling time.  Grilled them first followed by the chops.

If you have never skinned zucchini, you will get a skin tight dry covering of squash juice on your hands.  You look like a ghoul.  If it dries, you have to use Lava soap or your fingernails to scrape it off.

Entire cost of the meal was about $30 for 12.  Corn was $4.  A dozen pork chops were $12.  Zucchini was $6.50.  Cornbread was $6 or so. 

My prep time was pretty long.  I trimmed all of the excess fat off the chops since I was making so many and wanted the heat under control.  Getting the 12 ears of corn ready was about 30 minutes.  The squash took more than an hour to prep.  I had people watch the corn and the cornbread since I was doing the grilling outside.

My wife says she would have bought me this great grill twenty years ago if it would have gotten me interested in reading cookbooks and cooking.

Hofstadter

https://fb-s-b-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-fbx/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/18519500_10154534427446629_1587575521289051997_n.jpg?oh=2edf58ad6b482caee2ec62c1bb12d14e&oe=59B2C2FF&__gda__=1505101195_eba9b1cc27378dd422af8f8845003dae

Crappy photo, scared to embed because of size.

Duck breast, celiriac puree, black berry sauce. Served with a side of wilted spinach, garlic and walnut salad.

I was so happy with it ^_^
My wargaming channel

airboy

Quote from: Hofstadter on May 15, 2017, 04:35:59 AM
https://fb-s-b-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-fbx/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/18519500_10154534427446629_1587575521289051997_n.jpg?oh=2edf58ad6b482caee2ec62c1bb12d14e&oe=59B2C2FF&__gda__=1505101195_eba9b1cc27378dd422af8f8845003dae

Crappy photo, scared to embed because of size.

Duck breast, celiriac puree, black berry sauce. Served with a side of wilted spinach, garlic and walnut salad.

I was so happy with it ^_^

That looks wonderful.  A classic sauce for the duck.

jamus34

No pics but I smoked up some ribs and beef chuck roasts yesterday along with some cast iron cornbread, corn on the cob and steakhouse beans. It was good and leftovers for days.
Insert witty comment here.

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on May 28, 2017, 03:44:53 PM
No pics but I smoked up some ribs and beef chuck roasts yesterday along with some cast iron cornbread, corn on the cob and steakhouse beans. It was good and leftovers for days.

Sounds great! Would love to get yer cast iron cornbread recipe.  :)

jamus34

Quote from: Barthheart on May 28, 2017, 03:47:33 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 28, 2017, 03:44:53 PM

Sounds great! Would love to get yer cast iron cornbread recipe.  :)

Shouldn't be difficult...it's literally the one off the back of the Indian Head cornmeal package - as made by my daughters...I just "baked" it on the grill which reminded me I need to get a heat deflector when I try to do that - bottom got a little burnt.
Insert witty comment here.

Hofstadter

The desk light makes the duck look WAY pink. But thats duck breast, parsnip puree. With a salad of fennel, tangerine and spinach with this weird....orange vinaigrette thing. (grated tangerine peel, thai shallots, rice wine vinegar, honey, olive oil)

It tastes a lot better than it looks trust me.

My wargaming channel

bayonetbrant

Are you auditioning for the Food Network?  ;)

Looks good!

Hofstadter

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 05:26:19 AM
Are you auditioning for the Food Network?  ;)

Looks good!

Naw, I'm just a massive homo that watched waaaaaaaaaaay too much My Kitchen Rules
My wargaming channel