Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: chemkid on January 28, 2017, 03:47:23 AM
maitre bongo is giving ALL HIS LOVE to L'n'L HoS - modded scenarios of all the original modules

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4222442

QuoteSince the appearance of this game, my wish was to be able to play all the original modules of Lock'n load that I own with this game engine because of the difficulty of finding human opponents and the time to deploy all the material on my table.

So I created mods that allow me to do this and it works rather well (making some adaptations on the specificities of each module, of course).

It has been several years since this game is no longer really supported by its developers and I think they will never publish a sequel to this episode.

So I decided to post here the mods I made so that the whole community who still plays this game can enjoy it.

The modules I have realized are:

- Heroes of the Blitzkrieg

- In defeat Defiance

- Band of Heroes

- Swift and Bolt

- Noville Bastogne Outpost

- Heroes of the Pacific

- Forgotten Heroes Vietnam

- Heroes of the Gap

- Honneur et Patrie

- A Ring of Hill

It is distressing to note that with a little extra effort, the developers could have arrived at this result (and even much more)... Too bad.

I'm reorganizing the files that make up these modules and make them to fit for a clean installation.
In the coming weeks, I will post them at the top of this topic.

I hope there are still people playing this game.

:notworthy:
I may be averse to HoS for various reasons, but the fact that you can use all these modules for free with the game is - in a word - "impressive".
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Tuna

Quote from: Philippe on August 17, 2017, 10:24:41 AM
I'm coming late to the party because this game happens to be on sale right now at Matrix.

What is the concensus about this one?  Is it any good?

I've always had trouble relating to the Tiller tactical games (the way they handle ammunition doesn't ring true and it bothers me that they aren't WEGO), and during my brief stint playing Squad Leader (not even ASL!) I always wished there were more Stalingrad scenarios.

How does it compare to Steel Panthers?  Was it a flash in the pan or is this worth trying?

Did the sale end already or is 39 the sale price?

Philippe

$39 is the regular price.  You have to use the sale code to get 30% off.

http://www.matrixgames.com/
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Barthheart

HoS is nothing like Steel Panthers.

HoS is a direct port of the board game system used in LNLP's Lock 'n Load Tactical System of squad level combat. Right down to using the same art as the board game for maps and counters.
It also uses the same rules as the board game.

I've been playing the LnLT system for more than 10 years now and I worked with Mark Walker's team on the computer game... so that's my bias.

I liked the computer game very much because it plays exactly like the board game. If fact, if you get the computer game a play for a bit, it will teach all the rules for the board game.

If you don't like squad level WWII board games you won't like this.
If you think ASL is the only good squad level WWII board game then you probably won't like this.
If you enjoy different systems of squad level WWII board games you might actually enjoy this.

Yes there are some bugs in the campaigns... but I think they can be worked around.... been awhile since I played. The support of the computer game was dropped when Mark Walker sold LnLP to  David Heath. David is apparently working an a new computer version of the LnLT system. No idea of the progress here.