Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

From the Matrix front page:

QuoteIt's been a long wait, but it's almost over. The anticipation started to build before Christmas when the game appeared to be almost complete. Years in development, Mark H. Walker's Lock'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad is now set to release on February 12th.

:)

tgb

I was in the beta early on but had to drop out after a couple of months for lack of time.  I look forward to seeing the final product.

Rayfer

Looking forward to it, but I must ask.....normal or premium pricing?

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on January 21, 2014, 03:40:16 PM

..and does it have an AI?  :P

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on January 21, 2014, 05:00:02 PM

LOL....and to think, I hesitated to ask my question.

JudgeDredd

Ask over there - I double dare you! Anything price related will get slammed with their forum police.

I was very much looking forward to this - and having played their Band of Heroes game boardgame which I enjoyed very much I liked the mechanics....but...I've been burned before with board games being converted to computer games - and they just didn't translate.

I've said it before, but I'll post again for clarity here - boardgaming, for me, is about the physical thing. It's getting the map out, sorting the cards, setting up chits and rolling the die and pulling the card with a grimace on your face...that's what board gaming is about for me. These things do not translate well onto computer. Or at least, I can't think off the top of my head one that has.

So I'm cautious. It was a day one purchase for me but a) Matrix pricing policy is getting on my proverbials and b) I'm just not sure how this is going to hit the spot.

I'll tell you what I will do...if it's anywhere near the price of the (a) boardgame, I'd rather spunk the money on a boardgame, be it a World at War expansion or Band of Heroes expansion. I'm sick to death of being told it's a niche market. With pricing like it is, it'll just get more niche and the people who "don't mind paying $300 for game B" can do so - I wonder how long their hobby will last.

But I will be watching this one.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Yes it has an AI that will give you a good challenge.

As to price I have no idea... but would be very surprised if it's more than $40. There's a ton of gaming in it but it's not Command Ops or WIF....

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2014, 06:41:07 PM
Ask over there - I double dare you! Anything price related will get slammed with their forum police.

I was very much looking forward to this - and having played their Band of Heroes game boardgame which I enjoyed very much I liked the mechanics....but...I've been burned before with board games being converted to computer games - and they just didn't translate.

I've said it before, but I'll post again for clarity here - boardgaming, for me, is about the physical thing. It's getting the map out, sorting the cards, setting up chits and rolling the die and pulling the card with a grimace on your face...that's what board gaming is about for me. These things do not translate well onto computer. Or at least, I can't think off the top of my head one that has.

So I'm cautious. It was a day one purchase for me but a) Matrix pricing policy is getting on my proverbials and b) I'm just not sure how this is going to hit the spot.

I'll tell you what I will do...if it's anywhere near the price of the (a) boardgame, I'd rather spunk the money on a boardgame, be it a World at War expansion or Band of Heroes expansion. I'm sick to death of being told it's a niche market. With pricing like it is, it'll just get more niche and the people who "don't mind paying $300 for game B" can do so - I wonder how long their hobby will last.

I hear you JD.... but I really think you'd like this one. For me it definitely has that board game feeling even when I'm playing against the AI.
I expect the price to be reasonable as I stated above.

Playing this you won't ever forget to roll for a hero!  8)

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on January 21, 2014, 07:06:36 PM

As to price I have no idea... but would be very surprised if it's more than $40. There's a ton of gaming in it but it's not Command Ops or WIF....

If it's in that $40 price range then I'm in....I have hopes this is going to be a great wargame.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on January 21, 2014, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 21, 2014, 06:41:07 PM

I hear you JD.... but I really think you'd like this one. For me it definitely has that board game feeling even when I'm playing against the AI.
I expect the price to be reasonable as I stated above.

Playing this you won't ever forget to roll for a hero!  8)
Thanks.

And you KNOW I did do that (forget to roll for a hero! and many other things) - but that is also one of the "nice quirks" of boardgaming.
Alba gu' brath

Richie61

I have been quietly beta testing the game and I think that if you like the board game, you will love this title :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

SgtRock

This one has been in the oven a long time, I wish they would release a demo!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Barthheart on January 21, 2014, 07:06:36 PM

It will be interesting to see what price they come up with....wasn't one of the reasons for the higher price of WIF based on the length the actual development took?  So if that is the case, I wonder if that logic will be applied to this and the price will be higher than we would expect.  I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

If that's the case  (length of develop time), I'm figuring a $1000. price tag!!!!!! 

Serious question-What year did this game "start" or at least when was it announced? 2006 ish?
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!