The Hunters

Started by Nefaro, November 18, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I was kind of the same way when my captain in Silent Victory sank the Akagi in early '42. I keep wanting to get back to this game but others keep coming through the coverage queue.

DennisS

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 27, 2017, 06:22:06 AM
I was kind of the same way when my captain in Silent Victory sank the Akagi in early '42. I keep wanting to get back to this game but others keep coming through the coverage queue.

Once you get used to the system, you can crank through patrols very, very fast. A real sense of progression.

Not sure if I want The Hunted, 1943-1945. I am having a hard enough time surviving as it is.

BanzaiCat

I keep thinking I want it myself, but I have U-Boat Leader from DVG, which is a pretty good game in and of itself. If Hunters is like SV, well...I guess it's more of a thematic appeal than anything else. I might eventually get it if the situation is right (e.g. stupid cheap price and I'd be an idiot to pass on it).

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
...I'd be an idiot to pass on it).

You'd be an idiot to pass on it.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on July 28, 2017, 09:07:37 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
...I'd be an idiot to pass on it).

You'd be an idiot to pass on it.

I can always rely on these forums to reinforce my addictions.

mirth

Like you need the help.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Reinforcement is always a positive thing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'll sell you my copy.  It's just not really my thing.  I guess it's similar to Target for Today in that you're basically creating a narrative by rolling on various charts and tables in order to tell the story of each mission.  There's just not enough player choice in the game for my tastes. 

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 28, 2017, 10:03:48 AM
I'll sell you my copy.  It's just not really my thing.  I guess it's similar to Target for Today in that you're basically creating a narrative by rolling on various charts and tables in order to tell the story of each mission.  There's just not enough player choice in the game for my tastes.

PM me your quote, sir. I might or might not be able to meet it.

So, you don't like Target For Today, then? You posted some interesting stuff in your AAR thread.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not me.  I don't own it.  I have DVG's B-17 Fortress Leader but not Target for Today.  I was thinking about picking it up but after watching some playthrough videos on YT, I decided it probably wasn't for me.   

BanzaiCat

Well chit, sorry. I could have sworn it was you. Maybe Barth? I shouldn't be so lazy as to not go look...

Barthheart

JD has Target for Today.
I've got the old B-17 Queen of the Skies version.

DennisS

So...I'm playing The Hunters.

KPLT Kurt Blumentrit, in my VIIA. Crew JUST got promoted to veteran. I rolled poorly, and they were still Green as of 2/42.

I rolled lucky, chose the Med as my operating area. I had completed 7 patrols, was on my 8th. Not a bad career, 81k total damage, with TWO light cruisers, the Southampton and the Newcastle (both 9100 tons).

Tooling along, looking for a convoy or a fat merchie, and I roll boxcars. Random event. Ok, cool! Maybe I get a "Hals and Beinbruch!" Nope...I roll a "2". Damn! Man overboard.

To get to this point, I need to roll a 12, then a 2, on 2D6. The chances of this are 1/36 x 1/36, or one in 1,296. OK, it happened.

....aaaand I see that my Kplt is in peril! If I roll a "1", he is the one lost overboard in a freak wave. Surely this cannot happen...SCHEISSE! I think that this is the spelling.

And the dear Kapitan sinks screaming below the waves, and dies a sailor's death. Statistically, I can roll on the encounter chart and expect this to occur one every 7,776 attempts.

Part of me is appalled that this would happen. Part of me says...cool! It happened!

BanzaiCat

I keep thinking I want to get The Hunters, but with Silent Victory on my shelf...I think it's just a matter of taste. SV is supposed to be more polished than The Hunters, but The Hunters has a lot of appeal. So too does Compass Games' Raiders Of The Deep, which I really would like to try out.

DennisS

Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 24, 2018, 11:45:30 PM
I keep thinking I want to get The Hunters, but with Silent Victory on my shelf...I think it's just a matter of taste. SV is supposed to be more polished than The Hunters, but The Hunters has a lot of appeal. So too does Compass Games' Raiders Of The Deep, which I really would like to try out.

I like solitaire games, and I like submarine games. The genre lends itself very well to solitaire play.