REAL Wargaming

Started by GJK, May 22, 2013, 06:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Ok, so while the little pansy bois are over in the computer "wargaming" section discussing if Call of Duty or Castle Wolfenstein are real wargames, I thought I'd start a thread over here for us TRUE wargamers that play old school - with a map, counters, charts, dice and hexes.  I also thought it'd be neat if we showed off our gaming gear/man cave/game tables.  I'll start with my wargame table project that I completed last weekend.  It started with a $15 find at Goodwill; just a simple square wooden table.  I wanted a table for my upstairs bedroom for solitaire games.  Our two big game tables are downstairs for me and my son to play on.  One thing that I needed to address was the kitten issue- the little Nazi cat loves to roll dice that he finds laying on the middle of a game board.  So, I wanted to come up with a "cat proof" design that would allow me to leave a game set up forever if need be. 

The table that I picked up was just too small however.  I needed more width for your average map plus OOB charts, etc.  So I first removed the table top and chunked it.  I then cut the table in half and added extensions in the middle.  I added a new bottom that gave me about 3" of clearance of depth inside the table.  Next came a new table top; three sections that fitted the table perfectly.  I stripped the varnish and added some new stain and voila!  The last step will be to add a false drawer where you see where the table extension was added.  The drawer front will cover that up nicely.  Pictures below.

So show off your bookshelves full of games, or your game table or your mini's terrain model or whatever.  This is, after all, a thread for REAL wargames!   ;D

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Great table GJK! I'm going to build something similar but it'll be about 46"x 90". It'll have to wait until winter again though.

In the mean time I've finished moving into my new man cave. My wife and I swapped offices as she no longer wanted to be in the basement. So now I get the 17'x18' basement office and she has the 9'x10' office at the front of the house... with the sunlight.

Here's what my new space looks like so far:

View from the door at my gaming table and collection.

View of my PC/desk and game crafting table.

View from my desk.

GJK

Wow, I'm jealous!  Awesome mancave - do you only come out of there to eat?  :)

Is that Compass' Games new "The War" on your table?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Shots of our downstairs gaming area coming up-
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Our downstairs gaming area.  First image is "cat proofed", next is our game of The Fires of Midway that we have going.  I see that we both have the same Walmart specials for some of our tables (the white folding table).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on May 22, 2013, 07:21:42 PM
Wow, I'm jealous!  Awesome mancave - do you only come out of there to eat?  :)

Is that Compass' Games new "The War" on your table?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Shots of our downstairs gaming area coming up-

Yeah, my wife's not too happy with the amount of time I spend down here.  ;)

The game on the table is a print n play copy of Unconditional Surrender I found on BGG posted by the designer. It's still in testing as far as i can tell, but it's on GMT's P500 listing.
Still cutting out the counters, 700!. Only 30 pages of rules. Hope to get started soon.

TheCommandTent

@GJK - That is a great table you made.

@Barthheart  -  Very jealous of your man cave.  I look forward to the day we can stop renting a small apartment and get house that has a spot of an actual man cave.

Right now all my wargames sit on a shelf next to other boardgames and my gaming table is my dining room table. 

Although with a little work I can turn it into this ...

The downside is I have to take it all down before dinner. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

I have excess moving boxes all over my game cave right now, but I have a 400 sq ft apt over the garage that I converted to my office / game room. It includes a full bath & rough-ins for a kitchenette, too :)
Once I get the garage put back together and the crap cleared out, I'll get pix up
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

That is why man invented the tv dinner trays.  They are like $5 at walmart.

LongBlade

Nice stuff gang.

I'm stuck at the moment. My bookshelves are now scattered all over the house and I've slowed unpacking of books and games because I just don't know what to put where.

Once I unbreak and get stuff better organized I'll toss some images of what I've got going on.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe Fires of Midway

Is it as good as Hell of Stalingrad Gary?

Great pics of your Headquarters guys! We don't have a separate room for the hobby, just a big table in the house. Some day we will make you all jealous though :P

But we have a few games too play, thought I mention it to pass the exam to be allowed to post in this particular thread (as I am the one who said CoD is a wargame ;) )

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Andreas%20Ludwig?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GJK

Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 23, 2013, 04:54:48 AM
QuoteThe Fires of Midway

Is it as good as Hell of Stalingrad Gary?

Great pics of your Headquarters guys! We don't have a separate room for the hobby, just a big table in the house. Some day we will make you all jealous though :P

But we have a few games too play, thought I mention it to pass the exam to be allowed to post in this particular thread (as I am the one who said CoD is a wargame ;) )

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Andreas%20Ludwig?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Well...I guess you pass the test then.  I'll excuse your momentary lapse in rationale when you said that CoD was a wargame.   ??? ;)

Fires of Midway is a very fun little game.  I haven't played his Stalingrad game but will have to look into it.  I'm thinking of adding on some house rules for the Midway game; just to add some more "realism" and "options".  I'll start a thread here if that happens.

Oh, and I just realized that this is Andreas- I know you from around the web in wargaming circles!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grimnirsson

QuoteOh, and I just realized that this is Andreas- I know you from around the web in wargaming circles!

Yes you do :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

Not want to be off topic, but as the term man-cave came up here...here's what a father and his son had in mind for that...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/all-star-dad-builds-incredible-arcade-with-his-son/

www.homefrontcenter.de

GJK

Geez - I hope that he charges admission for the neighborhood kids in order to recoup some of those costs!  That is just insane-
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

:o That might be the coolest thing ever.

I just wish the glare off of the cabinet top lighting wasn't blinding me...I'd love to be able to tell what more of them are.