Rift is going free to play

Started by Huw the Poo, May 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Details

Personally I think this is awesome news!  I still think that Rift is the best theme park-style MMO around and I still occasionally resub.  I didn't get around to buying the Storm Legion expansion so it's nice to see I won't have to now, in order to explore the new continents.

And for once in my miserable life, I'll actually have VIP status in a F2P MMO. :)

son_of_montfort

I just might jump back in, once this goes through. I got Defiance and it was alright, but a bit flavorless. Rift had a lot more flavor and was fun, but not enough to justify the monthly cost.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Shelldrake

World of Tanks is getting a bit old and Mechwarrior Online never really clicked with me so will likely give Rift a try!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Kushan

Out of all the theme park MMO's I liked Rift the best. When I played after it was first released, it was similar enough to WoW (which I was into heavily at the time) but different enough that I didn't feel like I was playing the same game. Unlike SWTOR, which was basically WoW (almost the same game mechanics) but with a SW theme.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on May 14, 2013, 02:25:17 PM
When I played after it was first released, it was similar enough to WoW (which I was into heavily at the time) but different enough that I didn't feel like I was playing the same game.

I agree completely, it was what first drew me in.  It's such a lovingly crafted game too, and as I recall it had by far the most polished and issue-free launch of any MMO I've played.  Also the sheer amount of content the team have continued to pump out puts other MMOs to shame.

If any of you play on the European server Icewatch I'd be happy to start a guild.

Steelgrave

After years of Everquest, then WoW, I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online for the last year. I enjoy the atmosphere and the general level of maturity on the RP servers. I've also played Age of Conan, City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth and The Secret World, all had their good points and bad. My enjoyment of a MMO is generally keyed to the freedom of movement enjoyed, the lack of griefing, and the ability to solo. I also love to explore, so graphics and story are pretty vital to my sticking around.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 14, 2013, 04:16:47 PM
I also love to explore, so graphics and story are pretty vital to my sticking around.

You should try Rift (if you haven't already, which is the impression I got).  It's a beautiful game, and while some say its story is no better than any other, I found myself getting sucked into the lore.  Rift is the pinnacle of this kind of MMO as far as I'm concerned.  The only reason I've played more Guild Wars 2 than Rift for the last year is that GW2 was free.  Now that Rift will be, I can't see myself logging back into GW2 for a long time.

By the way, explorers are specifically catered for; there are artifact sets to collect all over the world, some very difficult to find.  I forget what you get for each complete set but it's fun to find them all. :)

Steelgrave

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 14, 2013, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 14, 2013, 04:16:47 PM
I also love to explore, so graphics and story are pretty vital to my sticking around.

You should try Rift (if you haven't already, which is the impression I got).  It's a beautiful game, and while some say its story is no better than any other, I found myself getting sucked into the lore.  Rift is the pinnacle of this kind of MMO as far as I'm concerned.  The only reason I've played more Guild Wars 2 than Rift for the last year is that GW2 was free.  Now that Rift will be, I can't see myself logging back into GW2 for a long time.

By the way, explorers are specifically catered for; there are artifact sets to collect all over the world, some very difficult to find.  I forget what you get for each complete set but it's fun to find them all. :)

Oooohhhhh, I like the last part of your comments, Huw. I think you just locked me into giving Rift a try.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 14, 2013, 05:23:16 PM
Oooohhhhh, I like the last part of your comments, Huw. I think you just locked me into giving Rift a try.

Ya got nothing to lose!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

Swatter

I think Rift has the best character advancement and customization system I have seen in any MMO. It is truly outstanding.

BUT...

The gameplay was nothing but WoW with a couple of wrinkles. I lost interest in a week. I hope game developers, sooner rather than later, move on from chasing after and copying WoW.

Tpek

Quote from: Swatter on May 14, 2013, 07:26:17 PM
I think Rift has the best character advancement and customization system I have seen in any MMO. It is truly outstanding.

BUT...

The gameplay was nothing but WoW with a couple of wrinkles. I lost interest in a week. I hope game developers, sooner rather than later, move on from chasing after and copying WoW.

Try Champions Online then.
That is the game with THE best character customization around. :)

JudgeDredd

+1 on giving this a try. I liked WoW for quite some time...bu I was never into the dungeons...My daughter loves WoW and does play the dungeons...but I'd like to give this a go...F2P is a bonus
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on May 15, 2013, 02:53:58 AM

Try Champions Online then.
That is the game with THE best character customization around. :)

I believe you have to pay to open up full customization and skill lines nowadays.  Otherwise, the free noobs are just stuck with a few pre-made templates.

Greybriar

I played EverQuest and Lord of the Rings Online before they went Free-to-Play. By playing them before and after, I decided that I prefer the subscription based models. Also, World of Tanks has cost me as much as it would have if it had been a subscription based game so that only reinforces my conclusion.

Rift may be all that it's cracked up to be, but a look at the Details makes me think that if I do give Rift a try, I will at least buy the base game somewhere cheap in order to get the extra character and bag slots.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on May 15, 2013, 11:55:14 AM
I played EverQuest and Lord of the Rings Online before they went Free-to-Play. By playing them before and after, I decided that I prefer the subscription based models.

Same here.  The cash shop stuff is just so convoluted and increasingly confusing.  I mean.. how many separate currency systems does Neverwinter have, for example? Three?  It just seems like a lot of extra needless BS to parcel stuff out bit by bit. 

Unfortunately the pay-by-piece model may have devalued the straight "premium" monthly fee, in some cases, and even require extra expenditures for stuff that was given in a full-featured sub before (extra bag space?).