Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteUSS Mississippi (BB-41) plows her way through heavy seas while on patrol in the Atlantic. October 01, 1941

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

Interesting photo.  BatDiv 3 was based in Iceland during the Neutrality Patrol.
Fearing another Bismarck type surface raid into the Atlantic, Mississippi, Idaho, and New Mexico were placed to block the Denmark Straits of cruise north of Scotland.
At the time, the biggest worry was Scharnhorst and Gneisnau trying.  By sending three BBs, it was considered there would always be two ready to steam.
Less thought was given to how the 21 knot BBs would intercept the 3o knot BCs, but there wer torpedo squadrons in Iceland.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

mirth

QuoteUSS Nimitz, INS Vikramaditya and JS Izumo  during Malabar Exercise '17

mirth

QuoteRoyal Navy monitor HMS LORD CLIVE in the North Sea, 1918.

Staggerwing

That is one mean-ass-lookin' barge...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

QuoteThe launch of USS North Dakota at Quincy, Massachusetts 10 november 1908.

Windigo

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 08, 2018, 11:59:37 AM
That is one mean-ass-lookin' barge...
Monitor indeed.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

mirth

QuoteH-46 "Sea Knight" helicopter hovers over the foil-borne hydrofoil research ship USS Plainview (AGEH-1) during personnel transfer, December 1972.

mirth

QuoteA port bow view of the nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser USS SOUTH CAROLINA (CGN-37)

mirth

QuoteReturning veterans of the Pacific fill the hangar deck of USS Enterprise (CV 6) as it stopped in Pearl Harbor preparatory to moving to the United States. This is how the carrier looks at night when some of the 1,200 enlisted passengers prepare for bed, 22 September 1945.

mirth

QuoteBalao-class submarine USS Cusk (SSG-348) firing a JB-2 Loon missile, 15 May 1951

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on April 13, 2018, 11:09:31 AM
QuoteBalao-class submarine USS Cusk (SSG-348) firing a JB-2 Loon missile, 15 May 1951

That suuuuure looks like a V-1....