Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteA rare photo of HMS Rodney as she braves heavy seas on the hunt for Bismarck, May 26, 1941. Taken by a crew member of HMS King George V.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteUSS Pennsylvania (SSBN 735) transits the Hood Canal as the boat returns to its home port at Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, 2017

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

besilarius

Mirth, have to congratulate you.  The Rodney picture is new to me and is a great shot.
Hope there are others from the crewman who took it.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

UB88, a WW1 German U-Boat
The U.S. Navy got her after the war, was brought to California, sunk during target practice in January 1921 off of Long Beach.
Not sure why she was taken to California.  Testing?
The wreck was found in 2003
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

http://pigboats.com/ww1/ub88.html

More history of UB88 and a lot of pictures of the internal engineering.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteDelfin-class (Delta IV) SSBN "Tula" (K-114)

mirth

mirth

QuoteUSS Albany (CG-10) fires two RIM-8 Talos and one RIM-24 Tartar missile in the Atlantic, 1963

mirth

QuoteCruiser USS Richmond during the sea trials off Philadelphia, Nov 1923

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

mirth

QuoteB-52 Bomber Buzzes The Soviet Aircraft Carrier Kiev

mirth

QuoteHMS Ocean (L-12) sailing with an air wing of Apache, Chinook, and Merlin helicopters. Mediterranean Sea, 2016

mirth

QuoteHMS Hood under construction at the John Brown Shipyard, 1919

mirth

QuoteHMS Hood leaving the John Brown Shipyard for the first time, probably 1920