Grigsby's War in the East Update

Started by Bismarck, February 28, 2012, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Gary Grigsby's War in the East
Read me File – February 24, 2012
Version 1.06.04
Welcome.
Thank you for playing Gary Grigsby's War in the East™! We are always looking for ways to
improve your gaming experience. For the latest information on the game, please go to the Matrix
Games web site at www.matrixgames.com.
Below you will find the latest and greatest information on Gary Grigsby's War in the East™.
Information in this document supersedes that in the official game manual.
Troubleshooting:
Ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements. These are found in the game
manual. Also, ensure that you have the latest video and sound drivers available for your system
and that you have upgraded to the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft. The vast majority of
reported problems are resolved by upgrading all drivers and DirectX to the latest versions.
If you are still experiencing problems with the game, please use our Help Desk at
www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk or post in the Gary Grigsby's War in the East™ Support Forum
at www.matrixgames.com. Please provide as much detail on your issue as you can.
To obtain optimum game performance, close all other applications before beginning a
game.
V1.06.04 – February 24, 2012
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a bug where divided units that get destroyed are not able to recombine when rebuilt.
2. Fixed a bug where units may fail to arrive if their arrival hex is invalid.
3. Fixed a bug where destroyed units could get withdrawn earlier than scheduled.
4. Fixed an AI bug where the Soviet AI could move German units not attached to front line
HQs.
5. Fixed an AI bug where the Axis AI could unfreeze frozen Soviet units.
V1.06.03 – February 21, 2012
· New Features and Rule Changes
1. New Feature - Added ground element replacement information into the Event log. It is
sorted by ground element class and type as in the production screen.
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed several bugs that could prevent captured and non-producible (build cost 9999)
ground elements in pools from being used as replacements.
2. Fixed several bugs having to do with the rotation of ground elements in the replacement
phase.
3. Fixed a bug so now Hiwis will add back to the pool when a unit is disbanded.
4. Fixed a bug preventing OB upgrades for AA units attached to cities.
5. Fixed city starvation code so it matches the manual – an enemy unit must be within 4
hexes of a city in order for starvation to be possible.
6. Fixed a few problems with non-OB empty element slots on the unit detail display.
7. Fixed a bug that could cause captured equipment to be used prior to October 1941.
8. Added code to fix broken unit HHQ assignments.
9. Fixed the air range check for transport missions so it matches the air fly map shading.
10. Fixed a minor supply bug and increased the supplies/fuel requirements for city supply
dumps in order to rectify some replacement fluctuations.
V1.06.00 – February 17, 2012
1. Rule Clarification – The interface change made in 1.05.63 will not prevent HQ's and
airbases, not stacked with a combat unit with a positive CV, from making a forced
displacement move if an enemy combat unit retreats adjacent to their hex.
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a bug that was keeping AA units attached to cities from receiving replacements.
· Data and Scenario Changes
1. Corrected the name of the 43 Slov. Infantry Division to eliminate the Slovakian Slov.
duplication in the name.
2. Rationalized the upgrade path of German Panzer Pioneer Squads (102).
V1.05.63 – February 14, 2012
1. Rule Change – Isolated on map units can now be reassigned only to HQs inside the
pocket with them, and only if within 100 MPs. Previously, no on map units could be
assigned to isolated HQs. Support units attached to isolated HQs can only be reassigned to
other HQs in the pocket and within 100 MPs.
2. Rule Change – The Soviet player may not build a new on map unit in an isolated area.
3. Interface Change – Friendly non combat units (HQs and air bases) and routed units will
no longer displace automatically during their movement phase. These units will be
outlined in red as a warning, and will displace automatically in the next logistics phase if
they are still next to an enemy unit and not stacked with a unit with a positive CV.
4. Rule Correction (section 18.1.1.2) – German Infantry Divisions destroyed on or after
August 1, 1944 will always return to the map as a Volksgrenadier Division (not just 20%
of the time as originally detailed in the manual).
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a bug that had allowed support units attached to isolated HQs to receive
replacements.
2. Fixed a bug that was could prevent starvation from happening in isolated Manpower
centers that were at 100% damage.
3. Fixed typo in word Difference (originally misspelled Differennce).
4. Fixed a bug in the AI that had the AI assigning some on map ground units to air command
HQs.
5. Fixed a bug where a withdrawing Axis unit could get stuck on the map edge in
withdrawal mode for the rest of the game. It now will set the MAX TOE of the unit to 100
which will prevent this from happening.
6. Fixed a crash bug caused by refitting AA units attached to cities.
V1.05.61 – February 8, 2012
1. Rule Change – Soviet Cavalry Corps HQ will now disband immediately in January 1942.
Although the manual said they would disband by November 1941, until this version they
were disbanding in April 1942.
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a bug where the defending force during an AI ground attack could automatically
lose a battle, having its CV incorrectly set to 0. No shooting would take place but the
defending force would suffer retreat losses even though the display indicated there were
no men/guns/AFVs in the battle.
2. Fixed a bug where depleted units could get committed to battle.
3. Fixed a bug where port cities might not get supplies/fuel if the port was not connected to
an active rail line.
4. Fixed a bug where isolated units could upgrade their TOE(OB).
5. Fixed a bug where Cavalry Corps HQ could get converted to Guards.
6. Fixed a bug where partisan resupply missions were not doing a proper range check.
7. Fixed a bug where the combat display for an air transport mission could be displayed too
long when using combat display level 3.
· Data and Scenario Changes
Changes in Device and OB files
1. To help address the issue of SS Motorized Brigades upgrading to divisions prematurely
the following changes have been made to the TOE data bases:
· 41 SS Motorized Brigade (OB 44) Last Year/Last Month changed from 9/43 to
1/44;
· 43 SS Motorized Brigade (OB 283) Last Year/Last Month changed from 9/44 to
10/44 and upgrade path changed from 43 SS Grenadier Division (OB 71) to 45 SS
Grenadier Division (OB 119).
2. Correction made to 44 Jagdpanzer Battalion (OB 522) to remove upgrade path copied
over in error.
3. Changed Soviet 122mm Field Gun (Ground Element 824) unit type to Heavy Artillery to
prevent it from being used in divisional artillery.
V1.05.60 – February 6, 2012
1. Formula Change - Decreased flak losses for the dive bombers and fighter bombers.
2. AI Improvements – Improved and adjusted Soviet attacking AI.
· Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a crash bug that may occur due to combat reporting problem.
2. Fixed the editor so that setting the fort level in a hex will now remove any fort in the hex
instead of leaving a fort level of 0 (10%).
3. Fixed a bug where a scenario could begin with objective victory points already awarded
unintentionally to one side.
4. Fixed a problem where the screen was going black when the game was inactive.
Jim Cobb

Yskonyn

Couldn't find a more recent thread, because the search is being finnicky, so I'll drop it here.

Just picked this up with a discount coupon and I am loving it so far!
The interface is simple enough, yet provides a wealth of info. And the details being simulated are very impressive! If only WitP had this interface! :)
For those playing as well I hope I can drop questions here as I learn to play?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

demjansk1942

Hi,  great game, go over to the matrixgames forum and you will find all the answers for this game.

Grim.Reaper

Just curios, I hear about war in the east more than war in the west...any reason one is better than the other or is it just based on theatre interest?  May consider at some point if cheap enough in sales but I doubt they will be.

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 22, 2016, 02:09:04 AM
Couldn't find a more recent thread, because the search is being finnicky, so I'll drop it here.

If only WitP had this interface! :)

A huge +1   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Con

Please resurrect this thread I am also looking to get some good tips on overall play.  I will say watching videos has been the best method for me to learn. like PewPewChews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojayv3lmgYc&t=52s

Con

Yskonyn

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2016, 05:09:05 AM
Just curios, I hear about war in the east more than war in the west...any reason one is better than the other or is it just based on theatre interest?  May consider at some point if cheap enough in sales but I doubt they will be.

I *think* this might have to do with a more complex front including air ops and Naval movement. I believe WitW is an even bigger / more complex game.
I intend to graduate from WitE before going there . :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

magnus

WITW is WITE on steroids.

It is nowhere near WITP, but it is a game that you have to read the manual.

It also has some videos of turn movement etc. in with the manuals. This is the first wargame I have seen do this.

Father Ted

Quote from: magnus on November 22, 2016, 12:25:19 PM
WITW is WITE on steroids.

It is nowhere near WITP, but it is a game that you have to read the manual.

It also has some videos of turn movement etc. in with the manuals. This is the first wargame I have seen do this.

I was given WitW  for Christmas last year, and have the hardcover manual.  However, it's more like an encyclopedia of the game than instructions on how to play it.  The video tutorials are pretty good to get you started, but seem to stop short of really explaining the whole game.  The "Players Guide" pdf is very useful.  It has single-page references for various aspects which I printed out to consult when playing.

I think if you're going to like this game then you have to enjoy the process of learning and exploring the mechanics rather than necessarily quickly becoming boss of the battlefield.  Personally I did find that pathway engaging.  I contented myself with taking things step by step - restarting the same scenario over and over again to incorporate each new bit of knowledge into my gameplay.

Tuna

Yskonyn, the MapMod guy from Panzer Campaigns did a really beautiful mod for this as well, you should see if you can find it!

Hofstadter

Shameless whoring I know but I have a ton of videos in my channel on both games. With tutorials for WITW.

I prefer the west game myself, russia is done to death and it feels like theres a ton more strategic options with feelable consequences in the second game.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Ubercat

I use the WitE graphic mod and it looks great. I was really disappointed to learn that apparently WitW isn't moddable. Also, when the heck will WitW be on Steam?  ???
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

@Tuna, yeah I saw the alternate map for WitE. But I learned with WitP to be cautious with mapmods. The one I used for that game aparently didn't show the various terrain details well enough, where the stock map -while less pretty- offers more information at a glance.
No idea if this goes for the map in WitE as well, but I think I want to learn the game with the stock map for now.

@Hofstadter I have come across your videos on YT now that you mention it. I just didn't link them right away to your Grogheads identity. :)
Thanks for doing them, I will be a frequent 'voyeur' in the coming weeks.  O0

@Father Ted, I know what you mean. All matrix manuals are like that I feel. At least with WitE the guy who made the short official tutorial posted his complete work for download; aparently what gets shipped with the game is only a part of the project due to time constraints or some such. His 'lost and found' full tutorial is available for download over at the Matrix forums and coming in at a hefty 200+ pages.  :uglystupid2:
I'm ploughing through that beast at the moment.

chemkid

BigBlueFleet

Matrix holiday sales have the DLCs at a great price.  Red Lancer and his gang really have some nice scenarios.