Main Menu

Path Of Exile

Started by Nefaro, January 23, 2013, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 26, 2013, 03:31:56 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 25, 2013, 11:50:09 PM
The news list for GW2 mentions something about a "Guesting" feature where you can still physically join groups on a different server for doing stuff coming up at the end of the months, so it may not be as big an issue.  It should've been that way from the beginning, IMO. 

It was always supposed to be that way, unless I'm misremembering.  I thought that really the only difference your "home" server makes is in WvW.

Anyway, with regard to Path of Exile, during the short time I played it it was very smooth even on my ancient rig.  No slowdowns, lag, rubberbanding, texture tearing (I even had vsync on which didn't impact performance one bit).  If they can just fix the memory leaks it'll be great.  I'm actually quite excited to play it again this evening.  Perhaps I'll enable virtual memory for the time being.

Your virtual memory should already be enable, although I believe the default setting is to let Windows choose how much to use.  I've been in the habit of setting the allotted amount manually, as Windows used to add extra slowdown to games when it wouldn't commit much and then have to regularly clean out the build-up, to make room for more, resulting in hitching and slowdown when you're playing something.  It's probably not as bad as it used to be back in the Win98/XP days but I still like to have about 5 or 6GB set manually on Win7.  The rule used to be, "set it for at least double your amount of RAM in the system" in XP but these days you don't need 8 or 16GB of vmemory.  You'd be fine with 4, even.

Nefaro

I tried firing up POE earlier today, but it dropped me right as I left town.  Not the first time, and it's usually fine when I relog for awhile, but they still have some stability issues to iron out.  :)

Huw the Poo

Since I enabled virtual RAM it's been absolutely fine for me; no client issues and no connection issues.  I haven't played for more than 30 minutes though.  It gets tough quickly, but I picked up a raise zombie spell that really helps.  I run around with a pack of three or four meatshields that stop the enemies reaching me while I stand back and pelt them with fireballs. :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 27, 2013, 03:22:41 AM
Since I enabled virtual RAM it's been absolutely fine for me; no client issues and no connection issues.  I haven't played for more than 30 minutes though.  It gets tough quickly, but I picked up a raise zombie spell that really helps.  I run around with a pack of three or four meatshields that stop the enemies reaching me while I stand back and pelt them with fireballs. :)

I just stocked up on AoE spells and spam it with my old Codger guy, because he lures them in with his geriatric girations and then BOOM!  Toaster strudel.

Yskonyn

Not to highjack this thread, but on topic of ARPG's has anyone tried Sacred 2 now that Steam has it?
Is it finally stable? This game is the best ARPG on paper IMO, but stability issues have always kept it from being really popular.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 28, 2013, 08:44:42 AM
Not to highjack this thread, but on topic of ARPG's has anyone tried Sacred 2 now that Steam has it?
Is it finally stable? This game is the best ARPG on paper IMO, but stability issues have always kept it from being really popular.

I once tried to reload it and found it would not run on Windows XP/7. So I haven't tried it again lately.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Kushan

Played for a few hours last night. Performance wise it played great, no client or connection issues. It doesn't look as good as Diablo 3 IMO, but I like the overall art style. The skill gem system is different. Haven't played enough to see how varied they are, or if they are all slightly more powerful copies of each other. The passive skills seem really bland. +10% to attributes don't make for interesting choices IMO. I don't see why those could not have been rolled into attribute increases into what you get when you level. I browsed through the passive tree a little bit and it does seem like you can unlock passives/skills other then small attribute bonuses but I'm not that far in yet. Wish they would roll those small attribute bonuses into something you would get when you level.

Not sure how much Longevity it will have in the end. IF they can push out new content every month or two, I could see myself playing this more then D3. I knew what I was getting when I bought D3, but waiting 1-2 year for expansions is getting boring already. Grinding paragon levels and getting sh*t gear to vendor is getting more then a little boring. Blizzard has solved some of the gear issues in D3 with the new legendary crafted gear they have been introducing but its still not really new content, just grinding crafting materials from the old stuff.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 28, 2013, 08:44:42 AM

Yes. I picked up Sacred 2 Gold once I found out they had removed the terrible DRM from the Steam version.  It has also ran just fine on my Win7 desktop (w/ an AMD video card).  I think there may still be some people having issues starting it up who have to change something, but I didn't have to do anything extra.

My main complaint about S2 is that the camera is centered on your character's feet or mid-section.  So I can never get the camera view just how I want it, even from a high-up isometric style view as you can generally shoot further than your viewing area and having the camera centered on your feet means you don't get any extra view range in front of you - just the opposite.   It's still quite manageable, but I'm just used to being able to see ahead further than behind in these games.

Gusington

Just launched the newly updated version of PoE. I like the way the Templar, the Ranger and the Witch look...trying to decide between them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 19, 2017, 11:54:10 AM
Just launched the newly updated version of PoE. I like the way the Templar, the Ranger and the Witch look...trying to decide between them.

;D

Yskonyn

Funny how Groggies load the same game at the moment as I do! PoE, Warframe. :)
I also loaded up PoE to check the new expansion.
The game seems a lot more polished since I last played! Started a Gladiator.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Have you played any other character types besides the gladiator?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

I am currently playing a cyclone slayer.

This pretty much the only game i've been playing since late october.
I mainly stick to meele life builds.

Find a class and skill that sounds fun then look up a guide updated for 3.0.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Gusington on August 19, 2017, 09:22:03 PM
Have you played any other character types besides the gladiator?

I have played a Ranger and a Witch, but wayyy back.
I'd like to continue the Witch some time and make her a proper Necro.

Yskonyn

What are these challenge modes btw? Something for experienced players only?