Main Menu

The Go Bag

Started by GDS_Starfury, August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

whats in your go bag?
whats really needed?

I ask because Im reforming mine and what it once was might not be what it is now.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

I want Jarhead in mine. I'll be ready for anything then  8)

LongBlade

Knife, toilet paper, a small book on predicting the weather by clouds, a small frisbee. Flashlight and batteries. A light leash for a dog (which reminds me, we have three now...I should add two). Not sure what else without looking.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

You talkin' emergency bail-out bag (just basic essentials) or emergency box?
Bail out bag:
Good survival knife; flashlight; small am/fm radio; small first aid kid including extra usual and ad-hoc meds you need or want; baby wipes; antiseptic handcleaner stuff; assortment of ziploc bags; one of those emergency reflective blanket things; a couple of large garbage bags; para-cord or similar; personal hygiene stuff(nail-clippers, tampons/pads, lip-balm; toothbrush / paste; floss; anti-perspirant, etc); batteries; a bunch of whatever you might want to eat for the next 36 - 72 hours (granola bars; peanut butter, etc); water...as much fresh water as you can stash OR a portable water-purfier (kind you use when backwoods camping); some gatorade or other ORS powder; elastic bands; string; zap-straps; money; very small toolset (multidriver, pliers, vise-grip) or leatherman; bug-spray if you think you need it; lighter or storm matches; a foldable poncho/rainshell; pen and paper; utensils; duct tape; some bio-degradeable dish and clothing detergent; good gloves.
If you think you might need it:  campstove and fuel; camping pots; MRE's for 4-5 days; good boots/shoes; a tube tent; a folding sven-or-camp saw; ultra-light travel hammock.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

undercovergeek

wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 05:56:56 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

+1.....  :o

In case of Natural disaster, Civil Unrest/War, Black Helicopters, Zombies... though not in any particular order.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Got two bags in the front closet. 
One is a prepacked thing from the store with the first aid stuff, water packets, etc. (got it a lot cheaper from Costco than from the company)
The other is one I packed with another first aid kit, some dust masks, chemlights, rubber gloves, crank radio, heavy-duty work gloves, ponchos, a few tools (like a heavy-duty hammer), a pair of pocketknives, water bottle w/ built in filter, tarp, some rope and carabiners, and some other stuff I'd need to look at.

In my car, I keep a water bottle w/ built in filter, a couple of MREs, chemlights, ponchos, work gloves, tarp, towel, first aid kit (I might have 2, gotta check), some granola bars, utensils, and other odds and ends.  The idea behind the load in the car is that what happened to the Kim family will never happen to mine - mostly because I wouldn't make the same dumb mistakes he did, but also because I'll have the right gear on hand to survive.

as to "why" - I live in an area where storms can be a problem.  Fran took out most of the city in '96, and the "white hurricane" (blizzard) dumped 26" of snow on the town in about 18 hours in '00.  I've also lived in places where tornados and earthquakes were regular occurrences (different places...  I don't think anywhere gets both right now). 
I also had a lot of my family stuck in southern Louisiana when Katrina hit.  When something happens, and you've made the decision to go (in/voluntarily doesn't matter) you may not have time to pack much of anything, so you grab one bag and stuff it with a bunch of clean clothes, your toolbox, your emergency bags, and get in the car.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 24, 2012, 06:05:11 AM

as to "why" - I live in an area where storms can be a problem.  Fran took out most of the city in '96, and the "white hurricane" (blizzard) dumped 26" of snow on the town in about 18 hours in '00.  I've also lived in places where tornados and earthquakes were regular occurrences (different places...  I don't think anywhere gets both right now). 
I also had a lot of my family stuck in southern Louisiana when Katrina hit.  When something happens, and you've made the decision to go (in/voluntarily doesn't matter) you may not have time to pack much of anything, so you grab one bag and stuff it with a bunch of clean clothes, your toolbox, your emergency bags, and get in the car.

+1

A "man-caused disaster" requiring a go bag is such a distant possibility that I don't spend a thought on it. All it takes is adding a gun and ammo and you've finished preparing for it if you're really worried. I'm not.

But everywhere I've lived I've had some kind of natural disaster that was a potential threat. Tornadoes, earthquake, hurricane...they aren't likely but they can happen. Not having a small go bag in case you need to bug out is short sighted.

You can tell by mine that I'm not totally serious about it, but it is enough to make a good start. Between Jack Nasty and Brant those are two solid models. I tossed toilet paper in because, well, when you have a bunch of girls, it'll make life a bit easier. Frisbee is in there because you've got to plan for a bit of fun. It's cloth and doesn't take up much space.

Every house I've lived in has lost power due to some kind of natural event. We have a week's worth of water on hand and a generator with several days' worth fuel. Also a stocked cupboard full of food. It's not filled with any particular plan so it won't be gourmet food, but there will be plenty to eat if we're forced to start opening cans... A window AC unit because in the summer it's a godsend.

In my view it's far more likely that we won't need to go, but will rather need to stay, and in that regard we're much better prepared. I figure even if we had to go we'd have at least 30 minutes to an hour to toss meds, water, and clothes into the car if we need to enact that scenario. But I really think it's much more likely that we'll need to ride out a power outage that lasts a few days.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 24, 2012, 08:05:43 AM
Helium.

Ah, Barsoom. Never been there. Lotsa bad weather?

LB and Gus, what size generator and fuel source? I have a 2200 watt gasoline generator but it'd be hard pressed to run either the furnace (hot air heat) or any of the A/C units while having any juice left for fridge or lights or whatnot. I'm thinking of selling it and investing in a larger one.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

I've really got to redo my emergency bag.  I've haven't updated the basics since I got married and should really include stuff for the wife now.

I've got knife, flint and steel, waterproof matches, maps, generic first aid kit, water purifying tablets, para-cord, flashlight w/ extra batteries (I really need to add a hand crank radio), extra socks and poncho.   I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off and there is always plenty of dried and canned goods to grab on the way out.  I also have a small propane power camp stove to cook on.

Like the others said I do this mainly because of the threat of natural disasters.  Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
...I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off ...

Are you on well water?

LongBlade

Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.

It's not really paranoia when the Red Cross says we all need to be ready: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 08:22:07 AM
Everywhere I've lived has lost power for multiple days and its good to have something on hand even if it acts more like a safety blanket.  Its good to be prepare in the hopes of never needing it.

It's not really paranoia when the Red Cross says we all need to be ready: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit

Nothing personel but the Red Cross is a bit of a joke up here...  :P When my Dad was in the Forces and we were living in BC, he got called out to help with forest fire fighting.... and there was the Red Cross with bottled water for the fire fighters..... for sale!  :P