Solo With Spoilers

Started by Sir Slash, May 29, 2018, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2018, 09:20:04 PM
After Disney killed the EU, created the story group, put Hidalgo in charge of continuity, I doubt they're going to openly start contradicting and retoconning themselves.   The Last Jedi might not connect with people's IDEA of where the continuity should go, but that doesn't meant it retcons anything. 

Noooo, changing where the continuity came from retcons anything. ;)

I assume we'll have to disagree about that, so moving on.

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2018, 09:28:10 PM
Aside from being a teacher in my day job, I'm the COO of her LLC.  So I get two monthly paychecks from my spouse.  I call it my sugar momma allowance.  It's funny.

Also legitimately awesome!  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, a verrrry spoilery (and cursey) unbridled rage from MauLer:

I like Solo a lot more than he does, but I have to agree with a lot of that, too.  :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Saw it. Liked it. Thought it was better than Last Jedi. Not sure where I put it in relation to the other Disney releases.

Alden Ehrenreich was fine. I'm glad he didn't try to imitate Harrison Ford. Donald Glove really nailed Lando. Rest of the cast was good.

The Darth Maul scene didn't bother me much. Nice nod to the Clone Wars story. I liked that Han shot first against Beckett. I th.ought that was a nice bit of redemption from Lucas retconning of the Cantina scene. Also nice to see Warwick Davis and Clint Howard with parts.

It was a solid movie. Too bad we're not likely to see another Solo flick.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

No, next up will probably be, "Jabba the Pre-Hutt Years".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 02, 2018, 09:42:25 PM
No, next up will probably be, "Jabba the Pre-Hutt Years".

Would it be like Wonder Years?  With the voice over?  Winnie the Hutt?

I'd watch that.  Not lying.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ComradeP

I liked the movie as well, though there was a bit too much name dropping and people suddenly removing their helmets before staring meaningfully at the horizon to make it truly good. It's a B- for me.

People not wearing helmets is one of those modern twists to the movies that take some getting used to. Previously, Imperial officers and Sith were generally the only ones not wearing helmets. Now, you get very Imperial Guard/Warhammer 40k looking scenes with a commissar, eh, major encouraging troops in some war-torn hellscape to charge for the Emperor where nobody is wearing a helmet and there are no Stormtroopers around.

The young Han was a bit different from what I had expected, it seemed a bit odd that somehow who had been forced to resort to crime to be able to live in some gang territory has an ego the size of a Star Destroyer right at the start. I expected him to be a bit more humble and grow more cocky with each success. I haven't followed any of the Extended Universe lore about Solo, or anybody else for that matter, so this was just a bit surprising considering the character of Solo from the original trilogy. The actor did a good job, that has to be said.

Not following the EU might also be why some other parts of the movie felt like they could've used a bit more explanation, such as how Qi'ra ended up working for an important Crimson Dawn crime boss. I guess that might be the biggest issue with movies like this: you want to please the fanbase that have been following everything there is to follow, but you also need to explain a thing or two to those that didn't. The same applies to comic-based movies.

Darth Maul's presence was strange, but as has been noted earlier in the thread the canon was apparently adjusted so that he isn't dead. Why Palpatine would leave a very powerful Sith to be alive somewhere where he can't control him is less clear, as has also been mentioned.

I thought the reference to a Wookiee named Sagwa would also make sense to those keeping up to date on the EU, but that name doesn't pop-up on Chewbacca's Wookieepedia page, nor does she/he have her/his own page.

It did feel a bit too much like a "formula" movie from time to time, as if there was a checklist of things that had to be included, a flaw of the recent movies and one of the clearest signs of Disney's involvement.

Also: this was the first movie where I felt the diversity debate was shoehorned into the movie with a female, feminist droid that incites a revolution of the oppressed and calls for equal rights. It was like the writers thought that some of those issues had to be included and decided to make one character an embodiment of all of it. Note that I have no issues at all with equal rights for any groups, it's just that it feels so forced when it's done like this. Like the studio wanted to make sure it had covered all bases when it comes to criticism about a lack of diversity.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

mirth

The droid stuff didn't really bother me, though it was heavy-handed. I did like that she was added to the ship's computer at the end. That was a nice nod to Empire and 3PO commenting on the Falcon's computer having a 'most peculiar dialect'.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

I thought they tried to put a bit too much story into too little time to do it in. It felt kind of rushed to me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

The final act with Enfys Nest and the Rebellion felt crammed in for the sake of making Han a hero. Still though, I give it credit for having something of an original story - more than can be said for Force Awakens or Rogue One. And TLJ was just bad.

Solo wasn't great, but it's better than a lot of the complaints. I can understand why it cratered at the box office though. Too soon after TLJ and Disney has managed to reduce SW to 'meh'.

JasonPratt

As far as Previously Extended Canon goes, wasn't Enfys Nest supposed to be Han's real mother? The alteration, if so, suggests we're going to have a sister for him now. Hopefully they don't take the Leia route on purpose. (It's like poetry. It rhymes. It rhymes with grinfest.  :buck2: )

Regarding Leet being put into the Falcon's computer, I've noticed some people online complaining about how utterly tone-deaf that feels, since that would be like hell for L3-37: permanently enslaved as long as the ship survives! But her story seems rather schizo anyway, and Screen Rant's Jenny Nicholson (in a classic mega-hot-take) theorizes that "Leet" was supposed to be more of a snarky sidekick like the Rogue One bot (whose name I've sadly forgotten despite awesome characterization) who didn't care about robot rights at all until she accidentally started a revolution at Kessel.

I'm glad someone else (ComradeP) got a strong 40K vibe from the brief Imperial Guard action!  :D :smitten:

mirth

mirth

JasonPratt

Not sure this counts as spoilers, but just in case:

"Wait, Solo was a failure?! The three other people in my theater seemed to enjoy it."

Nefaro

Didn't plan on seeing Solo in the theater, but I needed to kill some time and someone bought me a ticket so what the hell...

I didn't go in with much in the way of expectations, which is usually a good approach to have.  Was still unimpressed.  The movie dragged, with a pretty slow and generic heist plot, for most of it's over 2-hour run.  Only in the last 15 to 20 minutes did it become a bit engaging and by that time it was obviously tying up the end.   :-\  Meh.

Most of the acting was also in the 'meh' category, and the major characters' written lines just weren't good.  The most enjoyable characters were a couple of the bad guys... maybe.   ???  Just pretty bland all around.