Main Menu

Through the Ages

Started by DennisS, March 27, 2018, 08:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

So I asked on Steam about playing multiplayer where you don't have to play the whole game online in one sitting.  Someone replied that he is playing now in two games where he has up to 24 hours to make a move when it is his turn.  He did say Steam notification was not working for him but it's not clear if that is a problem for everyone or just him.

Edit - Just got crushed against 2 medium AI's. :-[  I'll go hibernate somewhere until I L2P.  Then maybe I'll be up for a game against some of my fellow grogs.   
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on March 30, 2018, 04:40:45 PM
So I asked on Steam about playing multiplayer where you don't have to play the whole game online in one sitting.  Someone replied that he is playing now in two games where he has up to 24 hours to make a move when it is his turn.  He did say Steam notification was not working for him but it's not clear if that is a problem for everyone or just him.

Edit - Just got crushed against 2 medium AI's. :-[  I'll go hibernate somewhere until I L2P.  Then maybe I'll be up for a game against some of my fellow grogs.

I am finding the computer tough enough...played five games, yet to win one. I may go from four to three players, and try that.

Geezer

quill18 has a new 3 part gameplay that he posted yesterday.  Here is part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhoOyHmb0I

While watching it I keep saying things to myself like "Why did you do that?!" or "That was a bad play.".  Turns out he beat two hard AI's in the game so maybe I need to watch it again and learn.   :))
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on March 31, 2018, 08:59:53 AM
quill18 has a new 3 part gameplay that he posted yesterday.  Here is part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhoOyHmb0I

While watching it I keep saying things to myself like "Why did you do that?!" or "That was a bad play.".  Turns out he beat two hard AI's in the game so maybe I need to watch it again and learn.   :))

I watched this as well. What I learned is that he has a plan, not for this turn, but for NEXT turn. He doesn't take a card into his hand that he doesn't have plans for.

DennisS

Well. Game eight, and the stars all lined up. I should have taken a screenshot! I scored 354 points, against three weak opponents. Everything worked. My military went all the way to 54, and I CRUSHED each of the other three opponents. This might be the three. Each war really crippled each opponent, and it snowballed from there.

Geezer

Tosh

Well done.  :)
Just won my first game against a single medium AI opponent. Again an exciting game.

DennisS

Quote from: Tosh on March 31, 2018, 06:37:51 PM
Well done.  :)
Just won my first game against a single medium AI opponent. Again an exciting game.

I'm not quite ready to call a press conference...Three opponents, all on training mode.

It may be easier against multiple opponents. Your military doesn't have to be the best, just don't be the worst!

I will say that in a four player game, cards cycle very fast, and you have to consider purchasing needed cards when they are way the hell over on the right.

Geezer

Just won the Challenge against 2 medium AI's.   ;D  I literally won it on the last card played.  The card (happy face calculation) flipped me from second to first with 179.  The AI's ended with 175 and 135.  It was all that much sweeter since I made a play on my last turn that increased my happy faces.

Tosh

Cool.  O0
This challenge is the one I plan to play next.

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on April 01, 2018, 12:04:18 PM
Just won the Challenge against 2 medium AI's.   ;D  I literally won it on the last card played.  The card (happy face calculation) flipped me from second to first with 179.  The AI's ended with 175 and 135.  It was all that much sweeter since I made a play on my last turn that increased my happy faces.

Do our fellow grognards appreciate what an excellent strategy game this is? I just came second, and played a very good game all the way.

After nine games, my rating is 0.37, and getting better. Average culture is 207, also getting better.

I think I like the four person games...have to really look hard to the right, and make difficult choices on how to spend your civic actions.

Tosh

Quote from: DennisS on April 01, 2018, 04:00:17 PM
I think I like the four person games...have to really look hard to the right, and make difficult choices on how to spend your civic actions.

I agree. I expect 3 or 4 players games to be the most fun, but also more difficult. So I started with one opponent with low difficult settings to get a feel for the game and learn.

I will add opponents and ramp up the difficulty as I make further progress (if any).

DennisS

OK...this is so cool! I had several labs, my science production was pretty darned good. This enabled me to research some sweet military techs, and I had a good lead there.

So...who came along to be drafted? SID MEIER!!!! WOOT! I knew he converted science into culture...but didn't appreciate the ramifications. INSTANT +12 culture a turn, but my science went to shit. Down to one, in Age III.

Ummmm...oops. Couldn't research anything, but I kept throwing population into my science buildings, which insta-converted into culture. I won easily, 221 to 180 for the next highest. I had over a 100 point lead at the end of Age IV. Just another way to win, but pretty scary. I've now won 2 of 10, and happy for it.

FarAway Sooner

So, after one failed restart, I tried a second time, and ended up losing against a single Training opponent, 182-170.

If I'd known when the game ended, or if I'd simply spared myself 2 more Resource points from the prior turn, I would have been able to finish the Eiffel Tower (I think), which would have yielded me 25 additional culture points.  Instead, the turn before, I chose to upgrade a unit of Knights into Tanks.  Worthless freaking Tanks!

Geezer

Keep a close eye on the card deck in the upper right corner so you will have a good idea when an Age is about to end.