Is the Tabletopsimulator Kriegsspiel Module any good?

Started by Iconoclast, March 17, 2018, 05:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iconoclast

Hello,

I was thinking about starting to play a double blind wargame, either writing one myself or for a start playing one that is available.

While I am eying a copy of "Flight of the Eagle III", I found the Kriegsspiel Module for the Tabletopsimulator. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1108270475&searchtext=

I was wondering of someone has experience with this and can tell me if it is worth buying the TSS for this module?

Cheers,

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Phantom

I'd say its probably worth getting TTS, not only for this but for other games - there are a shed load of games in the workshop for TTS, some not so good but many to a very high standard. I also think its quite cheap (at least it was when I bought it), Does need a reasonably specced PC to run well.

panzerde

I was just musing this morning about trying to make this myself, using Tabletop Simulator. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm grabbing it right now to mess with it and see how well it works.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Iconoclast

Would love to hear from you after you have toyed around with it. Hope that this might things acfually easier to umpire.
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

panzerde

Turns out there's really not much there. It has a single table, with a single map, some dice and a selection of blocks. It has a couple of the rulers, but the way they've been implement makes them useless. Overall, while it looks nice, I couldn't see any way to actually use it to play KS.

It did motivate me to go get a set of the entire Meckel map done up in color, however, so at least I have that.

Also, it reminded me to check with the Command Post Games guys. They are now shipping their Kreigsspiel kits! https://www.commandpostgames.com/product-category/kriegsspiel/

I have a set of the Brandywine maps on the way.

Iconoclast

Thanks for letting me know. Too bad, I was hoping to find an easy and simple way to umpire such a game. now I am thinking about just using a Powerpoint Presentation with scaled Images as units and an excel Chart prepared like a BOS Sync Matrix to umpire.... that could work.

From the sound of it, would you be interested in creating such a module?

I wasn't aware of Commandpostgames, thanks for bringing them up.

Cheers,

A

Cyrano

There are assuredly no ready-mades on this.

That is why the Jena KS is being conducted on a significantly blown-up map pinned to my dining room wall.

My wife is very happy to have had it there for now approaching 1.5 years.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

Quote from: Cyrano on March 21, 2018, 10:24:06 AM
There are assuredly no ready-mades on this.

That is why the Jena KS is being conducted on a significantly blown-up map pinned to my dining room wall.

My wife is very happy to have had it there for now approaching 1.5 years.

The Daleks help.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

I've been tracking the Jena KS in a Vassal mod, and it's worked pretty well. Has measuring tools and everything.

If I was going to make up a KS module, particularly to aid umpiring, I'd use Vassal over Tabletop Sim. TTS seems to try too hard to emulate the "real world" and makes doing things like measurements too difficult. Vassal already has most of the tools build in. In fact, I'd basically just modify the Le Vol de l'Aigle module with a different map and some new icons for the blocks, and change the measuring tool scale.

Cyrano

Daleks make everything better.

Doug is, of course, correct, about the Vassal bit, but I, for reasons I really should explore, have bounced very, very hard off that program.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on March 21, 2018, 10:44:18 AM

Doug is, of course, correct, about the Vassal bit, but I, for reasons I really should explore, have bounced very, very hard off that program.

I'm note sure it would work for everything you're trying to do umpiring this one, but it would be worth taking a second look.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Cyrano on March 21, 2018, 10:44:18 AM

This would be an advantage to a better TTS version, too.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Iconoclast

Interesting insights.

I just try to find a way to umpire my first games without being fixed to one place. I actually think it might be worth looking at Power Point: Have the map as Picture on the slide and use Arrows and similar to track movement. Graphics can be formatted exactly by lenght to account for column lenght and party of the Plan can be easily copied in bulk, allowing for quick creation of Map material to be passed on.....

....I will have a look at that once I settled for actually following-through with this.

Cheers