DVG B=17 Flight Leader second edition

Started by demjansk1942, March 10, 2018, 03:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

I just received the games and I am watching this video.  I was wondering if any videos out there just show a noob like me the play of the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_clX4PyaA

BanzaiCat

The video you have there in your post is from the designer of B-17 FFL, through DVG's official channel, so you hit the nail on the head.

If that one does not describe it fully, just dive into the rules. They'll describe the game according to how the game turns flow.

We need to do a review/analysis of this one for the site, too. That should be coming forthwith hopefully.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Great game!  For me, it's far and away the best of the solitaire B-17 games (haven't played Wing and a Prayer though).  That video is a good starting point and should get you going.  Try a short campaign and just follow along through the rulebook.  Most stuff is pretty clear (although an index is sorely needed for the book).  Feel free to PM me with any questions you have and I'll help if I can.

demjansk1942

Thanks guys for the reply.  I hope I can get into these games.  I photocopied the log sheet as well.  They only include one.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: demjansk1942 on March 10, 2018, 06:24:25 PM
Thanks guys for the reply.  I hope I can get into these games.  I photocopied the log sheet as well.  They only include one.

That's normal for DVG-brand games - just one photocopy of a Log sheet. That saves them a lot of money on production costs, which in turn saves our cash.

You can do copies of it, or go onto BoardGameGeek and check out their Files section. Most games have such a fan following that they'll make new graphics, log sheets, what have you, for DVG's games. This isn't a knock on their quality, just fan adoration. You might find something you like better in that section.

Here's the main link to the game's BGG page: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/188164/b-17-flying-fortress-leader

If you scroll down, you'll see a 'Videos' section. This will be a good place to find helpful stuff too.

Further down are Reviews as well as Forums where you'll find questions asked for clarifications. Usually I find that typing a question in Google, the game's name, and then add "bgg" at the end, will point you directly to a forum that might answer a specific question. (Or you could ask SDR too, lol.)

Here's a link to its Files section; there's 25 files currently either published from DVG (e.g. the rule book), as well as the aforementioned fan-made stuff: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/188164/b-17-flying-fortress-leader/files

Enjoy!

demjansk1942

Thanks Banzai for the assistance.  I have a few of the dvg games but all bought within the last six weeks!!  The bad thing is I decide to turn on the computer and play a game on that!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I also noticed a rule book and playbook, second edition for both of them.  Which one is best?  They do make some quality material.

Phantom

Was looking at this and a Wing & a Prayer (but also fired up my old Mighty 8th PC game - still works in Win10!)

I recently got the Vassal module version of Fleet Commander Nimitz and was glad I did as this saves a lot of setup - does anyone know if DVG have any plans to do a Vassal version of B-17?

BanzaiCat

I think B-17 is on Version 2 of its rules.

If you want to be sure of the most updated rules (and those in the box should be just that), go to DVG's website and see from there.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/danverssengames/tabletop-games/b-17-flying-fortress-leader

You'll see a link to both a rule and play book there. Compare them to what you have to see if they're the most accurate and up-to-date versions, but they should be.

smittyohio

Excellent game!  I played the "Air War Begins" campaign a few months ago and loved it.   I need to get it back out again and add in a bunch of the optional rules.  They add a lot of nice chrome, for not too much extra complexity / bookkepping.