Forgotten Realms Setting

Started by airboy, February 26, 2018, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I've about finished reading my PDF of Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (2e).

Man, high level magic users and high level monsters are really thick on the ground.  High level liches, uber-powered Mages with uber-powerful items, etc....

I've never read about such an incredibly magic power world before.

I picked up a 2e (I think) copy of the World of Greyhawk on pdf and I'm wondering if it is magic over-powered as well.

Also, is the 5e Sword Coast also uber high level mage heavy?  I was thinking about buying the Adventures on the Sword Coast book for $30, but if it is this magic mad I'll give it a pass.

bayonetbrant

FRealms is actually toned down the magic a bit from the late-80s/mid-90s era Avatar, Moonshae, Crystal Shard, and Pools novels
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Ultimately Airboy, it depends on the type of campaign you want to run.  In general, overall magic items are not as abundant in 5e regardless of the setting.  I honestly think this is a response to the expectation in 4e that characters were built and developed with the expectation of getting certain magic items.  The earlier editions were a product of the times too.  Of course, OD&D had very limited magic item tables, smaller spell lists, and magic users were damned lucky to make it past 1st level.  High fantasy ergo high magic was the norm  Personally, I run pretty low magic campaigns.  The majority of magic items at low level are consumable items like potions or scrolls.  Eventually, I'll be letting them earn some +1 stuff, which will be somewhere between 3rd and 4th level.

Bison

I'm tired and that comment only makes marginal sense but I stand by its obtuseness. 

airboy

Made sense to me.  But a Ph.D. is a certification of "obtuse translation skills."

BanzaiCat

I admit D&D started to lose me when they introduced laser guns back with the module Expedition To The Barrier Peaks.

But hey, if you want lasers in your campaign, you put frikkin' lasers into it, man!

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 27, 2018, 09:50:05 AM
I admit D&D started to lose me when they introduced laser guns back with the module Expedition To The Barrier Peaks.

But hey, if you want lasers in your campaign, you put frikkin' lasers into it, man!

Have you never read The High Crusade?  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

^ Nope. Had to look that up and it sounds brilliant.

bbmike

One of the few books I've read cover to cover in one sitting.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on February 27, 2018, 09:59:14 AM
One of the few books I've read cover to cover in one sitting.  O0

Thanks for recommending it. I see it's $5.38 for the Kindle. I'll probably pick it up in the next few weeks.  O0

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

::)

Just play Gamma World, fer cruddsakes.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 27, 2018, 10:45:48 AM
::)

Just play Gamma World, fer cruddsakes.

Blackmoor predates Gamma World by a good decade at least :)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant