Front Office Football Joins OOTP

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 20, 2018, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

^^My addiction to that game was unhealthy. To this day, I remember weird and obscure players on the rosters.

Grim.Reaper

It was the best....but prior to that xor football was king for me.  Watching the x and o moving around the screen was exciting:)

Capn Darwin

XOR was very good and FPS95 and 96 are still the best football simulations ever made. Would love those detailed games engines planted in a more modern 3d graphics system.   :dreamer:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

FarAway Sooner

Man, if they can bring this to the college game that would be awesome.  I've heard that copyright issues are what pushed EA out of the XBox and Nintendo markets for college football games.  I would buy this in a heartbeat if they had a college version.

So long, of course, as they featured my 2017 Sooners as a playable team!   :bd:

BanzaiCat

I tried 4th & Inches (by Accolade), but it didn't do a lot for me in the late 80s.

There was another one that was really weird where it put you into a first person perspective, but this was also late 80s. You'd use the arrow keys to, say, control a WR and to run a pattern you had to time your arrow key presses in just the right order to be where the ball would be once the QB throws it. I can't recall it's name though.

jamus34

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 22, 2018, 07:30:01 AM
I tried 4th & Inches (by Accolade), but it didn't do a lot for me in the late 80s.

There was another one that was really weird where it put you into a first person perspective, but this was also late 80s. You'd use the arrow keys to, say, control a WR and to run a pattern you had to time your arrow key presses in just the right order to be where the ball would be once the QB throws it. I can't recall it's name though.

4th and inches was fun but it was by no means a good strategy / simulation of America football. It had two teams and IIRC you could only play single games

Best thing about that game was the names they came up with for the players.
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

^+100. I played a ton of 4th & Inches. It was great, mindless fun!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Before Front Page Sports '95, I did play the snot out of Madden '90 on the Genesis.

The Madden iterations after this didn't do anything for me.

jamus34

Quote from: bbmike on February 22, 2018, 08:26:19 AM
^+100. I played a ton of 4th & Inches. It was great, mindless fun!  O0

Your starting CB - Salott, Tank
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 22, 2018, 06:39:42 PM
Before Front Page Sports '95, I did play the snot out of Madden '90 on the Genesis.

The Madden iterations after this didn't do anything for me.

I got the original version of Madden Football.. on the C64 in 1988-89.

Played the hell out of it, made a lot of my own plays.  Was a huge leap over the previous one I had on that thing, which was basically just lines on a black background.

~>

Wish we still had a decent action-y Football game for the PC.  However, I'll take a good management one first.  Hopefully the move to the OOTP engine will provide the MUCH needed UI improvements for the FOF engine.

Grim.Reaper

With the NFL Draft underway, OOTP released some minor update on the game progress....

Hey folks,

here's a little update on the FOF development  Essentially, things are progressing nicely. Most of the engine and AI code has been converted so it matches the new architecture, and the next step will be to take the best parts of the OOTP & FHM GUI, design the interface (it will look very similar to OOTP 19) and start coding the screens.

We will have a proper announcement about the features and the release (we'll have a PC and Mac version) once we get closer to beta testing, so probably late Summer / Fall. We'll keep you posted!

Cheers,
Markus

vyshka

Cool. I picked up the version he stuck on Steam a year or two ago, and have had a few different editions over the years, plus the college game. That is too bad about the dev for the original ootp game. Also too bad that the other dev they picked up wasn't able to carry the project on. Hopefully this works out well for both parties.

I remember Madden on the C-64, I think before that I might have had Lance Haffner's 3-in-1 football, which was a text based statistical game. It was the basis for an espn tv program where they ran a simulated tournament of the great NFL teams, and ran NFL archival footage while calling the plays. Front Page Sports will always be the best for me, and I would love it if someone could bring it back to life. What a wonderful game that was.

BanzaiCat

That sounds a lot like The VCR Quarterback Game. I had it and a friend of mine and I played it once...

...once.  :buck2:

After a bit we got bored and just watched the footage, which was more entertaining than the game.

Grim.Reaper

update from developer today....no release date yet, seems like it is months away at the earliest.

Given recent discussion, I thought it was time to post a few of my thoughts regarding the direction of Front Office Football Nine, as well as our progress.

First and foremost, we want a finished game that's playable. Sounds easy, right? However, games get larger and more complex every year and the days when a solo developer could perform every task seem to have ended.

As I wrote more than ten years ago, with software, the jump from one coder to two is larger and more complex (those words again) than going from two to ten.

OOTP brings exactly what the Front Office franchise needs. Similar experiences and goals, but also familiarity with those growing pains. When I first talked about this project with Markus and Andreas last year, all of us shared enthusiasm for the potential of what we could do. It's now a matter of executing that vision.

We're doing well. We're still perfecting the art of fitting our development cycle in with the different projects OOTP has under its wing. We're making good progress.

That said, I can tell you where we are now. The Front Office Football internals are converted to a form that works for a multi-platform environment and for anticipated future structural changes. The GUI framework is taking shape and we're ready for the potent magic of graphic design.

I'll go into a little detail about one of those structural changes, because it illustrates exactly the kinds of long-term goals we have for this project. One complaint about FOF is that it is limited to the current 32-team, eight division pro football structure. Yet some customers want to play with different league formats.

The original plan was to convert Front Office Football function as is, then move to more flexible league formats for future versions. But because we've had extra development time in recent months, we'll be able to fully support a few league formats (meaning scheduling, playoff structure, AI) right out of the gate. With the potential of adding more before the release and eventually (this part I can't promise in FOF9 because I've only done a little bit of work on it) the ability to add your own custom league structures and schedules (which means those of you who love spreadsheets and embrace adventure will gladly share them with the rest of the community).

I've also been able to add some more features that I've wanted to do for some time, but never quite found room in the schedule. Another example (and I won't share them all, because not everything is tested and sometimes you add something and it just doesn't feel right) is implementing the OOTP calendar structure. You'll play FOF9 day-by-day rather than the stage-oriented approach of FOF8.

As Markus wrote recently, we're months away from being able to show off this work. There is no release date scheduled, nor do we have anything settled right now. It's done when it's ready. Our merger makes sense only if we have something you'll enjoy year after year. This means it has to be up to our standards. No more, no less, no quick fixes.

Andreas posted that we couldn't guarantee multi-player function for the release. That's true. We can't guarantee anything that isn't currently working, and out of the hundreds of thousands of lines of code in FOF8, multi-player function is the piece that translates least efficiently to FOF9. The FOF8 multi-player code is Windows-specific and the snippets of multi-player instruction are all in pieces that react to GUI interaction.

It will be among the last pieces I work on. Since multi-player mirrors single-player, it's by design a good candidate for a feature implemented later in the development cycle when everything's more settled. It's also one of the true hybrid pieces of the new game, in that I have code that defines the scope and execution of multi-player commands, but it will end up working in a way that's familiar for those who play multi-player OOTP. So it's not a simple add. It requires a lot of coordination.

I know you want concrete answers, and we don't have them. It would be a poor business decision to hold up a finished product to add a new function. However, it would also be a poor business decision to completely abandon something that we know has brought people enjoyment for a long time. We're thinking about how best to serve everyone's desires.

The only correct answer is to say it's something we would like to provide, but it's not something we can work on at this stage of development and it's not guaranteed to be in the inital release. It's also correct to say that we recognize that for many people, it's a feature that they won't do without. We want customers, so we're certainly not crossing it off any list.

We have also discussed how best to serve existing FOF8 customers. The plan, if we provide multi-player function for FOF9, is to write an internal tool to convert existing multi-player leagues. Commissioners will upload their game files and we'll convert them and provide a detailed explanation of how we're handling the extensive internal structural changes from FOF8. Front Office Football commissioners are familiar with this routine.

Moving forward, OOTP games have automatic conversion routines built in. So we've added the basic support for this when we go from FOF9 to FOF10. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Finally, while I'd like to provide frequent updates on progress, I'm also aware of the dangers of talking too much about something that isn't yet completed. I'm never going to tell you this is the "best" anything or promise that something will be in the game that we haven't yet programmed. I'm not going to be posting much while we're busy with development. Once we are closer to our goals, those around here who are more experienced with the product release process will start doing their thing and I assume I'll be here to answer questions and explain more about the product.

Nefaro

I didn't expect it until next year at the earliest.  *shrug*