Cruelty free lobster pot

Started by Emeraldlis, January 11, 2018, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 04:58:56 PM
Or cats.

Yup, cats are the worse - always gathering round for some live duck frying - evil bastards

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2018, 03:11:05 PM
A recent scientific report from Norway (go figure) finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."

QuoteAccording to Yaksh, primitive animals like lobsters have the ability to perceive and respond to a "noxious stimulus," that is, any agent that can cause physical harm like tissue damage.

"When you deal with a non-verbal animal, and when you see a lobster in boiling water, you know that's a noxious stimulus," said Yaksh.

But scientists like Yaksh stop short of calling what the lobster feels "pain" -- or pain as humans know it. The difference, Yaksh explained, is in our feelings. "There's a strong emotional component to what we call pain," he said.

It is this emotional component that helps us remember what causes pain, said Yaksh. "It's one of those things that drives you to avoid those [painful] things in the future," he said.

But animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering, say most researchers.

The moral of the story. I wouldn't be losing sleep over boiling lobsters.

Thanks for posting that research , that's actually quite comforting to read . I know that most people who eat lobster from a restaurant,or cook/kill lobster by boiling it ...I know the vast majority of those people are animal lovers and are not cruel to animals . It's just always been the acceptable way to cook lobsters , so most people either don't question it , or are happy with how it's done , don't feel like the lobster suffers when it's being cooked .

It's nice to have some scientific research suggesting that they don't feel pain when they are boiled . I'll have to re-think how I feel about this now . Once that information has sunk in , I might find myself ordering lobster from a restaurant for the first time ever ! Thanks  O0

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 11, 2018, 04:54:43 PM
And don't google what they do to male live chicks and ducklings in China

No way I'm googling that  :tickedoff: I already know what happens in other countries , that male chicks are just shredded whilst they are still alive  :'(  :tickedoff: because they don't lay eggs and aren't profitable . I think it's almost impossible these days to know how an animal has been treated before we get to eat it . I think a lot of people are angry about how animals are treated in the food production industry . But there's very little that we can do about it , because we have to eat . And most people rely on government agencies to ensure animals are treated well . You just have to hope that for the most part they are doing their jobs well and protecting animals . In an ideal world , all animals would be treated well . I wish I lived in that world .

And don't tell my cats there's some fryed duck going ...they'll be all over that ! Beasts that they are  :hide:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog