John Tiller CS question

Started by acctingman, October 14, 2017, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, I've finally decided to hunker down and learn this game....but I'm kinda sorta stuck.

How the heck do you create a random battle? I can set it up fine, but when I get to the map screen I'm not sure where my units are or how to place them.

I'm sure most of you stopped playing this like....10 years ago? But does anyone remember how this is done? I'm just not seeing it in the manual (btw, that thing is making my eyes bleed  :buck2:)

Philippe

Quote from: acctingman on October 14, 2017, 04:35:45 PM

I'm sure most of you stopped playing this like....10 years ago?

I think it was during the nineties, so that was more like twenty years ago.  They play something similar over on the Matrix forum -- someone there might remember how it's done.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

acctingman

Yea, I asked but no one has responded so I thought I'd try here  :)

I'll figure it out eventually!

Warhorse

Lots of us still play the game, actually it is going to be reborn, after we are done with middle East and Vietnam!! After setting up the battle, you get launched into the setup screen, the map. Depending on size of battle, there can be a ton of units, but you can either leave them the way they are, or go through and re-position them. To do that, you want to select highlight organization from the menu at top, if not visible, hit the 'm' key. Next, find a HQ, easier in 2D mode, dbl-clk on it, anything under it's command will get a red line around. To move each unit, dbl-click on each one, then use the NUM keypad to move them around 1, 7, 3 and 9. When satisfied with setup, you hit end turn to start the game. Oh, you can only setup into the map so far, it will whine if you try to go too far forward! Good luck, hope this helps!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Cyrano

You mean other than what you get in the Battle Generator?.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

acctingman

Well, thanks gents.

I actually figured it out after taking a second to go through the whole menu   :2funny:

Really like the game and glad I finally took the time to read through the manual (most of it). It ain't pretty, but there is SO much game in this thing.

Warhorse

Once you get used to it a little, try PBEM!! Also, there are a Korean War and WW1 Mods done by myself and others, as well as a Cold War Mod. They are actually all self-contained games, but get used to the standard game first! The others are available at the Blitz, up in the mods area.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

acctingman

So, it's not the random battle I want....I want to create my own scenarios to have specific units in a battle.

Enjoying the game so far. If this was graphically up to date it would be dreamy  :dreamer:

Crossroads

Quote from: acctingman on October 16, 2017, 09:02:41 PM
So, it's not the random battle I want....I want to create my own scenarios to have specific units in a battle.

The install comes with full editors, there's no excuse to not starting cranking out those new scenarios  :)

Quote from: acctingman on October 16, 2017, 09:02:41 PM
Enjoying the game so far. If this was graphically up to date it would be dreamy  :dreamer:

Well, we need to have the proper baseline first, before expanding to other theatres and eras. CS Middle East 2.0 should provide that baseline, both for the game engine (combat rules and behaviours) as well as for the graphics engine (new zoom levels both for 2D and 3D, with 3D terrain going on quite a thorough update).

We're getting really close to sending CSME 2.0 to Matrix Slitherine for release. Then it is Vietnam and East Front 1939-1941 after that.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

acctingman

So, after messing around last night I realized that when I create a Random battle it saves that game and then I can go into the folders (West Front for this instance) and edit that saved random battles through the game. I think I get it now. Now, it's time to learn how to remove/add units to that saved game  O0

Crossroads

Quote from: acctingman on October 20, 2017, 10:56:04 AM
So, after messing around last night I realized that when I create a Random battle it saves that game and then I can go into the folders (West Front for this instance) and edit that saved random battles through the game. I think I get it now. Now, it's time to learn how to remove/add units to that saved game  O0

Yes, each time you run the Random Battle Generator, it creates the required filest under Random[numeral].map/org/scn. You can actually edit any of those.

I created a little tutorial for that, maybe check it out. I put together a little post as a Table of Contents for all stuff related modding Campaign series.

Some of those posts date back to JTCS, for instance the one about Having fun with Random Battle Generator, and then, if you really want to get into modding those battles and units, Adding New Units with NoEncryption option.

The nice thing about the latter is that CSME 2.0 will revert to non-encrypted files when playing vs AI, so need to use any command line options to start the game anymore.

Hope they help & Good luck! Any questions just ask  :)

Edit: Oh Cr@p, the screenshots I placed at PhotoBucket don't show anymore. I need to put them directly to those posts instead. I'll need a few days for that though...  :(

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

acctingman

Quote from: Crossroads on October 20, 2017, 11:30:14 AM
Quote from: acctingman on October 20, 2017, 10:56:04 AM

Yes, each time you run the Random Battle Generator, it creates the required filest under Random[numeral].map/org/scn. You can actually edit any of those.

I created a little tutorial for that, maybe check it out. I put together a little post as a Table of Contents for all stuff related modding Campaign series.

Some of those posts date back to JTCS, for instance the one about Having fun with Random Battle Generator, and then, if you really want to get into modding those battles and units, Adding New Units with NoEncryption option.

The nice thing about the latter is that CSME 2.0 will revert to non-encrypted files when playing vs AI, so need to use any command line options to start the game anymore.

Hope they help & Good luck! Any questions just ask  :)

Edit: Oh Cr@p, the screenshots I placed at PhotoBucket don't show anymore. I need to put them directly to those posts instead. I'll need a few days for that though...  :(

No worries Crossroads. I appreciate your help. At this point it's all about me spending some quality time messing around with things.

Crossroads

There was actually just three screenshots missing, they're there now.

acctingman

Quote from: Crossroads on October 20, 2017, 11:47:12 AM
There was actually just three screenshots missing, they're there now.

Awesome!  O0

Thanks for the links  :notworthy:

Crossroads