Am I smoking crack?

Started by acctingman, September 20, 2017, 08:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, I have Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear and the solo expansion. So far I'm enjoying however the solo expansion works only for AtB and cannot be used for other CoH games.  I was wanting to make my own counters for other nations (Japan, Italy, US, etc...) and try to use the solo cards for my own scenarios, but this can't be done.

So, since my knowledge of other ww2 tactical board games is limited I'm here asking people who have more experience in product availability, is there a game system out there that has a solo element that would lend itself to the endeavor I'm trying to accomplish? Or, am I'm smoking crack thinking this even exists?  :uglystupid2:

I'll continue to buy AG CoH games as they are pretty awesome, but their games seem to come out every couple years.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

That's what I was afraid of  :'(

bayonetbrant

Ambush, if you can find it

The new LNLT Solo system builds off a similar mechanic to the CoH solo system.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

acctingman

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 20, 2017, 09:22:17 AM
Ambush, if you can find it

The new LNLT Solo system builds off a similar mechanic to the CoH solo system.

Oh, thanks brant

I'll take a look at that series.

Barthheart

More importantly, the LnL Tactical system Solo module works for ANY of the games in the system. It will also work for DIY scenarios.

And the series already has a modules with Japs, Italians, US, Brits, French, Somalis, Argentines etc.

acctingman

Quote from: Barthheart on September 20, 2017, 02:06:56 PM
More importantly, the LnL Tactical system Solo module works for ANY of the games in the system. It will also work for DIY scenarios.

And the series already has a modules with Japs, Italians, US, Brits, French, Somalis, Argentines etc.

AHHH, so I don't have to make my own units!

I like CoH, but it will take forever for them to make expansions (well, the ones I want)

I'll take a closer look at LnL

bob48

When they do a module featuring Canadian 1st Army and the battles for the Scheldt, I'll buy into the system.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on September 20, 2017, 02:19:02 PM

When they do a module featuring Canadian 1st Army and the battles for the Scheldt, I'll buy into the system.

Yeah... I want a Canadians in Italy module... every time I bring it up it's suggested that I should go ahead a design it.

bob48

The one that Matt and I were doing for NaW went nowhere due to the change of ownership - and you did the vassal mod for it if you remember. I've lost touch with matt now so don't know if he is still involved.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Yep, I remember that.

As far as I know Matt is still around. I think they were just busy getting the updated versions of the original sets out.

Go to LnLP forums and post about it in the NaW threads.

Richie61

CoH changes are coming too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1851121/changes-coming-2nd-edition

QuoteMy wife has told me that we do not go on vacation until SoS is at the printer.
That being said, Gunter and I are adding a lot of upgrades that we have been working on for the past two years.

No tracking APs. Special 'AP Spent Die' will be utilized that is designed to give the same statistical probability spent results as in the current 7APs per unit rules. But, now you can never be sure. You can lower your being spent odds by paying your action cost with up to 2CAPs, thus lowering the APs you spent. Players will now use their CAPs in a much more realistic manner.

No tracking CAPs. CAP cards are now used with values of 0, 1 and 2. Your opponent does not know how many CAPs you have remaining. As you lose units, you add an Attrition Card to the CAP card draw deck. If you pull an Attrition Card, it will influence your battle choices in some way. But your opponent will never know what you have in your hand until the end of the round!

Firefight books for each side.

New counter trays. One for German units, one for Soviet units, and one for misc counters, cards and dice. Each tray will have a snap-in printed card stock overlay which identifies each well. The wells will have contoured bottoms to keep the counters in place!

Airplanes will now be weapon cards and not counters, with new streamlined rules.

Cautious movement costs +1 to execute and adds +1DM to the unit.

We have conducted extensive playtesting with both Army and Marine Corps officers and have found this new system to flow very well for force tactics evaluations and training.

We will be posting details very soon since all have been developed and we are working on the final artwork.

I will then ask for volunteers and feedback through our ProofHQ system. For your help, your name will go into the rulebook, etc.

Thanks for your patience. As always, we do not delay a game because of laziness, but because we want it to exceed your expectations.

Sincerely,
Uwe
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

BanzaiCat

You might look at the DVG Warfighter series. There's a modern combat and WWII version, with plenty of expansions for both. Not hex-based but it is tactical, if somewhat vaguely so, and it is a solo system (can be played with multiple players too, in cooperation).

chemkid

thanks for the link/update. i tend to bypass bgg nowadays but couldn't.t resist... anyhow, i still wish academy games would do their errata differently - or, at least, they should offer printed 'and corrected'rulebooks! their updated pdfs suck big time!!! :(

acctingman

The more I look at the LnL solo rules and their games (mainly BoB) I think I'm liking that more than CoH. CoH has gorgeous counters, but I like the more expanded armor values on LnL counters over CoH counters. I might be totally wrong about this as I still need to dig more into the LnL mechanics.

Glancing through the LnL rules (mainly for combat) it seems that these rules have a little more depth than CoH combat rules.