Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by steve58, September 06, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on September 06, 2017, 05:10:54 PM
More importantly, will you get any good waves in RI from Irma?

Hopefully not straight into his living room.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

^ Between Irma and Jose, we are looking at an unprecedented run of good swell here.  Saturday and Sunday are shaping up to be epic.

Gus, there is a high pressure system in the mid-Atlantic (Bermuda High) that acts like a big blocking mechanism for the storm.  Hurricanes like to bend clockwise in the northern hemisphere but the high is preventing that and steering it westward.

The jet stream, which is up around us, is going to dip down and push the high eastward and/or weaken it, allowing Irma to curve northward.  But figuring out the timing and strength of the jet stream dip, and how that will actually interact with the high, is very difficult.  Regardless, though, as the high moves eastward it will allow Irma to curve.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I knew you weather weenies were good for something!  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Let me see if this works...

If the image shows, it depicts surface winds.  You can see the center of the high pressure right in the middle, and the winds traveling clockwise around it.  You can see where the winds back off down around Florida, and how Irma is riding the boundary.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

This is the 48 hour forecast.  You can see how the high has moved to the east, allowing Irma to bend northward.  These are surface winds; The second lower image is higher in the atmosphere and shows the jet stream in 48 hours.

Toonces

Man alive I feel like a nerd now.   :nerd:

mirth

You were a nerd before - Toonces the Surfing Nerd

Gusington

Toonces the Surd.

I couldn't see either image above in my iPad.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

I could not see the images on my MacBook whatever I have.

Gusington

Toonces the Well Meaning Yet Partially Ineffective Surd.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Nah, they don't show on my other computer; must be a security firewall.  Navy websites are like that sometimes - I had to add an exception to get onto the website.

Oh well.

mirth

Toonces

I'll see if I can find some charts on another site tomorrow morning.  I should have a few minutes before class.

Toonces

This is a mid-level analysis where you can see the blocking high.  Not as sexy as the model picture though.

48 hour forecast. You can see how the high has weakened and moved north and east.