Main Menu

Bomber Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, August 22, 2017, 02:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^its not as bad as you think. Just run through the tutorial mission in the manual and then use the training missions as a guide. I learned most of what I needed to know by doing this. I also learned a lot from watching the AI. Remember, the normal state for this sim is for the AI to handle everything for everyone. The crew functions well without the player screwing it up, so you can focus on taking control only at certain times, or to perform certain specific tasks. As you get more comfortable, you can increase your workload.

It's amazing to think that we were able to master these games in high school and college, but struggle with relearning them as adults.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2017, 06:31:15 AM
It's amazing to think that we were able to master these games in high school and college, but struggle with relearning them as adults.

Exactly. And the thing is with me, I worked at Babbage's from 1989-1991. In '89 I didn't have a home computer, so I learned these games by playing them on the store's computer. Since work was on the way home from school I'd often stop in on the way home for a few hours with F-19 or whatever.

I had tried to start an AAR on this very game...holy hell, that was 2014 I did that?  :o

Pete Dero

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 23, 2017, 06:23:38 AM
The Mighty 8th is definitely a superior/more realistic game than Bomber Crew. The issue I have with Mighty 8th is it's not intuitive at all. Though, that was utterly par for the course back then in gaming; hell, you needed a keyboard overlay for some games (like F-19 or M-1 Tank Platoon) because they were so complicated. After a while though, you get used to the key controls and don't need to look at the overlay. But, that learning curve keeps me away - I just don't have time to get into that kind of a slog these days. :( I'd like to eventually, though.

Getting Started Tutorial series  :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwKq7V0duU&list=PLV6qAKzfD-icnl7cMeIR_ldvH6twjQdtI

(part 3 of 21  !!!)

Went to GOG to check it out, only to find out I already own it  :uglystupid2:

BanzaiCat

Yeah, it's an ingrained check for me now to look at both Steam and GOG to be sure I don't already own a game.

Thanks for the vid, I'll check it out eventually.

Father Ted

I actually made a  coop mission in  modded IL2 '46 in which a bunch of people could play "Bomber Crew" for real.  With a decent amount of PC power you could concoct a pretty reasonable AI bomber stream to  be part of, and then throw 109s, 190s and flak at it.  It worked quite well, though it had a scripted nature.  This meant there wasn't really a navigator's role as you just had to follow the AI planes.  Also getting the balance between boredom and action was tricky, especially for those not piloting the plane.  Too little action is obviously not good, but on the other hand, the AAA and fighters tended to be overly lethal when you did encounter them.  In the end I think that's why I didn't pursue the project further.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 23, 2017, 06:23:38 AM

SDR: how did you get the nose art? Did you create something random, then go in to the file and replace it with something more detailed? Either that or your art skill in that drawing area is amazing.

I just created a random squiggle in-game and then copy-pasted over it with some nose art I found online.  Just hard to get all the edges smoothed out with transparencies when the file is that small.

This is about as clear as I can get it.

BanzaiCat

Copy paste, eh? Interesting. It looks like a PNG file you have there. I'll have to play around with it, thanks!

No way I'm trying to draw anything, not in that Godawful paint-like program.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I drew my own shark's teeth and eye but that's the upper limit of my abilities.

Philippe

Apparently you can make the custom file 128x128, which improves things a lot. 

I wonder if you can go larger than that.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nice!  I'll give that a shot.

In the meantime, I'm a Dam Buster!

Staggerwing

^Time to Chastise the Jerries!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Philippe on October 23, 2017, 06:22:50 PM
Apparently you can make the custom file 128x128, which improves things a lot. 

I wonder if you can go larger than that.

Going to 128x128 definitely helps smooth out the edges a bit.  Thanks.

Philippe

Just tried 256x256, and although it's hard to see the difference, there is a difference.  So these textures seem to be scalable.  I may try loading in something really big, just to see what will happen.

Philippe

1024x1024 does not work, so there is an upper limit.

I shrank that texture in half to 512x512, and much to my surprise it worked.

The upper limit is somewhere between 512 and 1024, but I don't think you'll be able to detect much of a difference on the larger settings.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Fiddled with shrinking down an image to 512x512.  Bit blurry bit that's OK. Thanks for the tip.