Advanced PLATOON Leader Rules Clarification

Started by JudgeDredd, July 20, 2017, 01:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2017, 02:35:28 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2017, 01:26:08 PM
I think you start at the non-pointy end of the arrow, and move 3 squares along the path of the arrow, but I would wait for GJK or another ASL expert to confirm
Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:37:07 PM
First off... this isn't Advanced Squad Leader (ASL).
It's Advanced Platoon Leader (APL).
Very different games.
Sorry bayonetbrant.

hey, that was Barth sorting that out for you :)

I don't need to take any more credit for things at this point :D
I meant sorry for misleading you into thinking it was Advanced Squad Leader  :))
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

You cannot Op Fire at a unit using Advance phase to move.

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 20, 2017, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:49:02 PM
Have you read this guys playthrough? It's well done and pointed out a couple of things I had wrong.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/149173/scenario-3-example-play

:hide: already I feel like an idiot...the author of this says he rolls a d12 to determine random locations for both card and squares. Ugh, why didn't I think of that?!?

Bah! I like the fact you don't need funny shaped dice. D6 are wargame dice, damn it!  \m/

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 04:16:32 PM
You cannot Op Fire at a unit using Advance phase to move.

O0

Thanks, Barth. I didn't think so but appreciate the clarification.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 04:18:08 PM

Bah! I like the fact you don't need funny shaped dice. D6 are wargame dice, damn it!  \m/

Agreed! But I have about a zillion polyhedral dice, you know, because :nerd:

JudgeDredd

Right...I am actually lost with action points.

The manual mentions nothing that I can see about default action points for squads...only that leaders get a default of 2 and about rolling for squads. The manual also shows one squad getting 4, another getting 5 and the 3rd getting 6 but the part on action points (section 5) says about rolling for action points for each squad and them combining those for platoon pooled action points.

To confuse issues, the walk-through mentions each squad having 4 action points and only rolling for the plain action point pool. It also mentions each platoon getting 2 platoon action points.

Did I miss where the squad gets action points based on its strength or something?

Ok. I think the 2 platoon action points are referring to the leader action points. They are called leader action points in the manual but the walk through talks about platoon action points...same thing but specified differently

I'm still confused about squad action points. Do I roll 2d6 for each squad to get their action points? Then do I add them together, along with the leaders action points to get the platoon action points?
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

JD, from what I saw, you roll for each squad in a platoon and add them all together to form a pool for the entire platoon. The examples might not be worded in the best way possible.

You roll 2d6 for each squad. The resulting number of APs depends on the Morale level of the unit (if memory serves, a Veteran unit gets an AP on a die if the result is 1-3, and so on). So each squad can potentially get 0-2 APs per Turn. If there's three squads in a Platoon, that's potentially 0-6 APs. Not including Leaders, whom can add 2 APs to a squad I think.

Barthheart

You got it BC, mostly.
Platoon points=platoon leader points.
Each squad in a platoon gets to roll for 0-2 possible points. Add these together. That the platoon pool.
Keep the leader points separate. There are a couple of restrictions on their use... that escapes me right now...

JudgeDredd

Thank you both. I was literally coming onto the computer (daughter has just come out of Mafia II) to post exactly what you said.

I was of the impression rolling for each squad specified their action points...not a pool of action points.

I was aware of the Leader Action Points (one of the clearest things in the manual at the moment) - but that was confused with the mention of "2 Platoon Action Points without rolling" in the walk through.

But thank you - got it.
Roll 2d6 for each squad using their experience to determine if they get 0, 1 or 2 APs.
Add these together to give a pool of APs for your squads to draw from to carry out an action (helpful because one of my squads rolled  2x6 resulting in 0 APs)
2 Platoon (Leader) APs are monitored separately because a unit in command range of the leader can use one or both of his APs to carry out an action.

Thanks  O0
Alba gu' brath

Bison

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
There are a couple of restrictions on their use... that escapes me right now...

It's probably related to the depth of the corner clipping.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 04:28:29 PM
The manual also shows one squad getting 4, another getting 5 and the 3rd getting 6
Right this bit I was also somewhat confused with (NOT the manuals fault this time). I thought they were referring to the APs but the 4,5 and 6 examples mentioned in the manual (before the section on Action Points) was specifying the squad strength...NOT APs.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

That's it, you need to be in command range to use the leader points.
O0

Check some of the scenarios and you'll see that not all platoons have 3 squads to start. And you'll lose some possible points when a squad gets wiped out.
Good way to simulate loss of combat potential of a platoon sized unit.

JudgeDredd

Aye it's getting there. There's a lot of re-reading required. I don't think the rules are written brilliantly.

I would point out though that I have a tendency to over think things...so I wouldn't put all my confusion at the hands of the manual.
Alba gu' brath