Advanced PLATOON Leader Rules Clarification

Started by JudgeDredd, July 20, 2017, 01:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Thought I would start this thread as I've noticed a couple of rules that don't make sense to me and so I'm looking for someone to provide clarification if possible

The first one I found is this

Basically this is to work out how many turns are to be played in the scenario. I get the roll single die and a roll of 1-2 3-4 etc...but I have no idea what it means by "count down a number of squares"...specifically the 5-6 roll saying "count down three squares"....where? There's only two rows. As they are saying "count down" I was assuming they meant in column form". I can see from the pic that they are talking about counting "down" meaning left to right.

But rolling a single d6 means it could only ever go to the 3rd square, right?

Any ideas?
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

I think you start at the non-pointy end of the arrow, and move 3 squares along the path of the arrow, but I would wait for GJK or another ASL expert to confirm
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2017, 01:26:08 PM
I think you start at the non-pointy end of the arrow, and move 3 squares along the path of the arrow, but I would wait for GJK or another ASL expert to confirm
Ah - thanks. The arrow direction is the issue then.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

This is the other one...

2d6 to roll but the roll values are 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4...suggesting a single d6 roll? But even if that's the case, I don't know when to ...nevermind

I just got this. I roll 2d6 and don't add them...I use each roll to determine whether I get an action point or two or none.

Example
Roll 2d6 for a Rookie squad
1 + 3 rolled = 1 action point
5 + 6 rolled = no action points
1 + 2 rolled = 2 action points

Got it.

That really helped writing that. I've re-read that section two nights on the trot twice and didn't get it - expecting to ADD the 2d6 and wondering where those added die rolls work out to the values mentioned on the image!
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

First off... this isn't Advanced Squad Leader (ASL).
It's Advanced Platoon Leader (APL).
Very different games.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 01:24:54 PM
Thought I would start this thread as I've noticed a couple of rules that don't make sense to me and so I'm looking for someone to provide clarification if possible

The first one I found is this

Basically this is to work out how many turns are to be played in the scenario. I get the roll single die and a roll of 1-2 3-4 etc...but I have no idea what it means by "count down a number of squares"...specifically the 5-6 roll saying "count down three squares"....where? There's only two rows. As they are saying "count down" I was assuming they meant in column form". I can see from the pic that they are talking about counting "down" meaning left to right.

But rolling a single d6 means it could only ever go to the 3rd square, right?

Any ideas?

The turn track starts in the upper left corner and move in the direction the arrow is pointing.
Roll 1 die.
If it's a 1 or 2 start the turn counter one square to the right.
If it's a 3 or 4 start the turn counter two squares to the right.
If it's a 5 or 6 start the turn counter three squares to the right.

So your scenarios will always be 9 or 8 or 7 turns long.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

No worries.  O0

Better change the thread title before GJK has a heart attack though...  ;)

Barthheart

Have you read this guys playthrough? It's well done and pointed out a couple of things I had wrong.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/149173/scenario-3-example-play

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:37:07 PM
Very different games.
Sorry bayonetbrant.

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:47:51 PM
No worries.  O0

Done  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:49:02 PM
Have you read this guys playthrough? It's well done and pointed out a couple of things I had wrong.

No - thanks. The manual is lacking much in the way of examples.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:47:51 PM
No worries.  O0

I was thinking the same thing  :DD
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 01:37:07 PM
Very different games.
Sorry bayonetbrant.

hey, that was Barth sorting that out for you :)

I don't need to take any more credit for things at this point :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

You guys are running into issues that I myself have had reading through the rules. I've got issues with them (there's several typos and unclear labels and such throughout), and I've had to take a step or two back at times to read it again and try to get clarity.

One thing that's bugged the hell out of me is the author using "route" throughout instead of "rout."  :buck2:

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 01:34:29 PM
2d6 to roll but the roll values are 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4...suggesting a single d6 roll? But even if that's the case, I don't know when to ...nevermind

I just got this. I roll 2d6 and don't add them...I use each roll to determine whether I get an action point or two or none.

Nailed it. This is one of the first things that thoroughly confused me until I (gasp) started thinking out loud about it, sort of the way you just wrote it all out, JD.

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 01:24:54 PM

Barth answered this exactly as I was thinking it was (thank goodness, I was wondering if I was nuts).

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 02:14:13 PM

No - thanks. The manual is lacking much in the way of examples.

+1 to the thanks.

The manual does have a few examples, but not nearly enough of them.

The manual drives me batty enough to want to reach out and ask if I can help them with it, pro bono - but as I'm doing the review for it, I've restrained myself.

One other thing I'd ask you guys - does Opportunity Fire apply to Advance move phases? I'm getting from the manual it does not, but I'm wondering what you think.

If no one is sure I'll reach out to the dev to see for sure.

BanzaiCat

:hide: already I feel like an idiot...the author of this says he rolls a d12 to determine random locations for both card and squares. Ugh, why didn't I think of that?!?